TaylorMade M1 Fairway Wood Preview

Whatever rumors you've heard, they are all true.

Instinctively I lean towards the 5 wood for launch and gapping reasons. I can always dial it down and open the face which I like. Odds are I would cut the shaft of the 3HL down to 42 or 42.5 anyways.
However, quite often the 3 wood heads are physically larger than the 5 wood heads and as its purely a tee club for me I like a larger head.
The m1 fairway is not big by any means. 3hl is not a very big footprint. Have you tried aeroburner tp fairway? Fade bias and bigger head might be right up your alley. I just didn't like the light head and long shaft combo.

Back on topic on the m1, I actually liked the weights dead in the middle and will probably leave them there

First round today with this in the bag. I love it. Playing at stock length, 17 loft, with Kuro kage 70g stiff. I hit some monsters off the tee with it. The flight I'm getting is mid high, but it's a strong ascent. Off the tee I'm getting 270+ total here in denver, and it will be a real weapon on tight holes and holes where I don't want to hit driver. Couple times I was only few yards behind j4u when he mishit driver a bit. The head shape is really pleasing to me and looks like I can elevate the ball with ease when I set up, which in turn breeds confidence. I didn't get to hit any off the deck today on course but I'll have an opportunity tomorrow at my home course

I picked my 3 wood up on Wednesday and so far had two range sessions and a first round with it this morning. I have the regular flex Fuji standard shaft in it and split the weights one to the heel and one to the toe for the forgiveness / stability. Loft is left unchanged at its standard 15*.

Someone said I think in the driver thread the fairways were possibly better than the driver. I'm not sure it is better but it is definately its equal. I used it 3 times off the tee on the 15th, 16th and 18th holes this morning and averaged 232 yards which is actually longer than I was averaging with my 915 D2 driver. It was used twice off the floor once in the light rough and once off the fairway, both shots were poorly struck or averagely struck for a 17 handicapper and were a couple of yards short of 200. Off the tee the ball just went straight high and landed softly, off the fairway it launched high enough I just got a little wild and put a slight slice on my swing.

I've struggled in the past to launch a 3 wood high even off the tee, this thing there was no struggle. There are several course where that distance is ideal for me off the tee, if it becomes the norm I'll be very happy.

At the range I use the back fence is just over 200 yards, off the mats with a perfect lie and decent swing I was carrying the ball to the fence. Again this is a rarity for me.

Sound was nothing obnoxious, the feel is solid. I will continue to use it with the Fuji 70 as it is and see what happens. However when I get back to Malaysia I may take it to the fitter who has done my driver and irons. In his opinion with my swing speed and swing I am between flexes and curiosity also has me wondering if a Fuji Six shaft will make any difference.

I brought the driver out of curiosity and hype, the 3 wood I brought because the driver and I are getting on well. The top end of bag seems to have gone all Taylormade, with driver, 3 wood and 4H Aeroburner and I am throughly enjoying them.

I picked my 3 wood up on Wednesday and so far had two range sessions and a first round with it this morning. I have the regular flex Fuji standard shaft in it and split the weights one to the heel and one to the toe for the forgiveness / stability. Loft is left unchanged at its standard 15*.

Someone said I think in the driver thread the fairways were possibly better than the driver. I'm not sure it is better but it is definately its equal. I used it 3 times off the tee on the 15th, 16th and 18th holes this morning and averaged 232 yards which is actually longer than I was averaging with my 915 D2 driver. It was used twice off the floor once in the light rough and once off the fairway, both shots were poorly struck or averagely struck for a 17 handicapper and were a couple of yards short of 200. Off the tee the ball just went straight high and landed softly, off the fairway it launched high enough I just got a little wild and put a slight slice on my swing.

I've struggled in the past to launch a 3 wood high even off the tee, this thing there was no struggle. There are several course where that distance is ideal for me off the tee, if it becomes the norm I'll be very happy.

At the range I use the back fence is just over 200 yards, off the mats with a perfect lie and decent swing I was carrying the ball to the fence. Again this is a rarity for me.

Sound was nothing obnoxious, the feel is solid. I will continue to use it with the Fuji 70 as it is and see what happens. However when I get back to Malaysia I may take it to the fitter who has done my driver and irons. In his opinion with my swing speed and swing I am between flexes and curiosity also has me wondering if a Fuji Six shaft will make any difference.

I brought the driver out of curiosity and hype, the 3 wood I brought because the driver and I are getting on well. The top end of bag seems to have gone all Taylormade, with driver, 3 wood and 4H Aeroburner and I am throughly enjoying them.

Alas.......it was I who made the proclamation! One thing is I don't use it often but now I'm hitting far more 3 metals from deck on par 5's just to give it a chance.....surprised myself by getting into a greenside bunker with it from 240 into the wind.....definitely rolled in but hey!

The complimentary aspect of same shaft ,look and near feel have me pondering a 5 metal to replace my hybrid.....I think the launch of a 5 metal will be more to my liking than the bullets I'm hitting with current hybrid.

I hit the M1 3w (KK Stiff, 15* / Standard and weight all the way over to Draw) heads up at an outside range heads up against my normal gamer, the BB V Series. The M1 was a little longer on better struck balls and had a somewhat lower trajectory, but had much worse dispersion for me. All shots were off a tee. Distances were probably normal cold weather distances (it was 45* outside), which is to say about 10% shorter than summer distances.

I hit the M1 3w (KK Stiff, 15* / Standard and weight all the way over to Draw) heads up at an outside range heads up against my normal gamer, the BB V Series. The M1 was a little longer on better struck balls and had a somewhat lower trajectory, but had much worse dispersion for me. All shots were off a tee. Distances were probably normal cold weather distances (it was 45* outside), which is to say about 10% shorter than summer distances.
Try the 3hl. The extra loft will help with more distance and be easier to elevate as well. Higher flight and more carry = good :). I love my 3hl with kk stiff. I hit this thing so long and consistent

I hate to say it because I really didn't want to like this club but I hit the 3 wood today at the range and really liked it. I hit it with a GD DI 6S and the stock Fuji Pro shaft and honestly liked the ball flight on the stock Fuji more than the GD. Nice mid high flight very strong club, no launch data but it was long by my estimates.. Loved the feel and look of it, will have one to match the M1 driver soon I think.

Try the 3hl. The extra loft will help with more distance and be easier to elevate as well. Higher flight and more carry = good :). I love my 3hl with kk stiff. I hit this thing so long and consistent

What KK shaft you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

70g stiff. Stock option

Nice. I saw the 3HL today and how it sits at address is perfect.

Nice. I saw the 3HL today and how it sits at address is perfect.

It's good club. Bomber off the tee and easy off the deck

I'm finding this thing easy to launch both off a tee and the floor. Its confidence inspiring for me.

Thats great garethw. Such a good feeling to have with any club.

Love the 5 wood. Great launch, very accurate! I think I will try the hybrids!

Question for those who have the fairway. I'm looking at the 5W but I wanted real world opinion in performance after you adjusted loft. Seeing much change with the face closing or opening after loft change?

I have the 5 wood set one notch up/higher which should have me at 19.75* I have seen no difference in ball flight right to left just a bit higher launch. I believe this only closed the face 2* per the tuning guide.

I have the 5 wood set one notch up/higher which should have me at 19.75* I have seen no difference in ball flight right to left just a bit higher launch. I believe this only closed the face 2* per the tuning guide.
Perfect. Thank you, I'm hoping this one will do the trick because it's been a long journey finding a good fairway wood lately.

Hit the 5 wood at the golf shop the other day. I think it was a random shaft they had in it - Speeder 8.2 X flex. Any downside to putting this shaft (1" shorter than stock 3 wood) into an M1 3? Thinking of having them put the 5 wood shaft into a 3 head and gaming it that way. Going to hit that combo today and compare vs by RBZ Stage 2 tour with Rul shaft.

Hit the 5 wood at the golf shop the other day. I think it was a random shaft they had in it - Speeder 8.2 X flex. Any downside to putting this shaft (1" shorter than stock 3 wood) into an M1 3? Thinking of having them put the 5 wood shaft into a 3 head and gaming it that way. Going to hit that combo today and compare vs by RBZ Stage 2 tour with Rul shaft.

If I was to demo anything from this line, it would probably be the 5. Good to hear

If I was to demo anything from this line, it would probably be the 5. Good to hear

The 5 was ridiculously long. 244 carry for me on the sim. Stage 2 Tour RBZ 3 wood for me was only 5 yards longer. Sim is probably about 10 yards generous as I usually fly my 3 about 240. Just want to see what the 3 wood does with same shaft. This club feels like butter on impact.

The 5 was ridiculously long. 244 carry for me on the sim. Stage 2 Tour RBZ 3 wood for me was only 5 yards longer. Sim is probably about 10 yards generous as I usually fly my 3 about 240. Just want to see what the 3 wood does with same shaft. This club feels like butter on impact.

Nice dude! Sounds like a keeper

Finally got to hit this one today in the 3HL and came away pretty disappointed. Not that it's bad but it gave identical numbers to the R15 3HL. Identical.

Any of you guys with M1 FW coming from an R15? What are your thoughts?

I finally broke down and hit this on the flight scope outside at a local range today. I was very impressed with it to say the least.

Here is the flight scope info. 238 carry off the deck is pretty legit.

0a570c863611f87dcf5d9e7e69bce0e8.jpg

That is with the Speeder 757 in an X flex.

Nice Kevin!
I spent a little bit of time with the M1 3 HL yesterday and it was impressive. I can't hit a FW off the deck so it was just a tee club for me but I was seeing 3 wood distance with 5 wood flight off the tee. I was hitting it with Rogue Silver 110.

Bought the M1 5W and had the Fujikura 661 evolution tour stiff put in it. I have a round and a couple range sessions under my belt. At first, the top of the club was distracting because of the black and white colors. Now I just concentrate on the white and its helps to line everything up, not a prob now.

i chose the shaft because of the low/mid flight it produces, the stock pro Fuji shaft launched too high for me.

As as of right now I really like the club, very forgiving, easy to bend shots and the distance is great. Sound is very good, more like hitting an actual wood rather than the "tinny" sound we get with metals nowadays. Hitting if the deck is not a prob and is what I'll use it for most of the time. I'll tee it up if there is a tight drive I need to hit. Distance is about 235-240 at 19*, I turned it down to 17* and notice a little more distance but flight remains mid for me.

its a good club so far, I would recommend it. I tried both the Ping G and the Cobra's, I felt the TM better suited me.

Back