Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

These are going to be a winner for Wilson. Had a quick hit vs Ie1 and RSI2 ... Wilson had the best feel.
Without a doubt. The feel off the face at impact is so smooth. Gives a nice audible click, great sound.

Great write up Mr. Eagle! So many great iron choices this year. Hard to have time to try them all before making a decision but I'll find a way!!!

Love that you're seeing much of what I saw during my review Beags.

The sound is SO much better than the M3 and thusly increases the feel factor. The harsh click is gone, thank goodness.

These irons are just silly easy to play. I am continually amazed by the height I can get on my shots with these, and the distance I see out of them.

For me, the long irons are where this set shines for me. Being confident in hitting 190+ yard iron shot WITH accuracy is something that I have never had before, and definitely not a shot that existed in my bag.

Good stuff beags. Im gonna have to try these out again soon i enjoyed them at RTJ especially with those shafts

I'm currently testing the C200 however, looking at the F5, one thing that I really like about them is that the lofts are not jacked up in order to get distance which I like in an iron. My current set of AP1's the 7i loft is 31* the loft on the F5 is 35*. These have increased my interest since reading this post to the point that I'm going to compare these to the C200.

These are curing right now. Tomorrow I will get them cut down and gripped. Really excited to try these out and see what the buzz is all about.

Took these out for a quick 9 today. And so far I am really liking what I am seeing and feeling. Nice high flight with a soft landing. They look great at address and they sound so much better than the m3s I have. Can't wait to get these out again and do some more testing.

465cea59ddcdd54487e855529e7403f7.jpg

Awesome sticks

Awesome sticks

Hi guys...brand new to the forum but I've been peeking in for months mostly to follow this thread as I obsessed over new irons. I figure since this thread put me over the top and inspired me to pull the trigger on the F5s I might as well give my two cents after two months in with them.

First a little boring background info...I'm 41 and a 14 handicap trying to get back to the 10 range I existed in during your better golfing years. I'd be an 11 trying to get back to 7 if I weren't a lifelong, serial three-putter but that's a whole other story. My game unraveled a few years ago due to a back injury but after getting surgery in November 2014 and spending last year getting my strength and swing back, I think I'm good to go. At the beginning of last year after getting fixed up I knew I had to bail on my Rocketbladez Tour/PX5.5 irons, just too physically difficult to hit. I bought a dirt cheap set of Wilson Staff Cis with the TT Uniflex and it was a great decision as they really helped me enjoy hitting irons again and regain my confidence. By January of this year though (I live in South Carolina and can play year round) I knew it was time to find a permanent replacement and this is where I ended up.

Let me start by simply echoing every single good thing that's been said about these irons over the last 18 pages, they're fantastic. Great feel, great set up, and they absolutely pound the freaking ball but with player's club performance. One of the original reviewers said it's not a distance iron and while that might be technically true for high end players who strike the ball consistently, I think if you're like most of us and don't fall in to that category you absolutely will see more distance than you have with other player's clubs. These are rare irons that will both satisfy a single digit handicapper and help a guy in the 10-17ish range. I'm hitting a 5 iron from 190-200...that hasn't happened in several years.

I originally demoed a few rounds with KBS Tour shafts but I don't like them so I settled on the stock DG XP S300. I will say that they're very easy swinging shafts that will get the ball up and long. They're also a pleasant mid weight at 115..not too heavy, not too light. If you're a low to average ball height hitter then I'd say go with the stock shafts and enjoy, they're very good, don't overthink it. However, if you're already a high ball hitter as I am then sky balls and all the issues that come with them will likely be an issue. Personally, I've grown a little tired of threatening small airplanes and basically hitting it towards a green then hoping for the best so I'm ditching the XPs and shelling out some cash for the C Taper R+...they should be ready in a couple weeks and I can tell anyone who's interested how it goes, I think I'm going to love it though. I have been obsessing over shafts the last few weeks...reading, testing at Golfsmith, driving my club pro nuts with questions, etc. Then it struck me that my buddy who I play with all the time has some Mizunos with the C Tapers and I'm constantly stealing his clubs on the range and on the course and I'm in love with the shafts and hit them awesome so I figured, why aren't these shafts in my irons as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who got through that opening novel.

Great thoughts and welcome to the forum!

Good read there. Hope you continue to enjoy them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I've had a few rounds with these now and I'm pretty hooked.

I have the KBS FLTD in S+ in these and it's a killer combination. I hit these high and long. I still struggle with the long irons but that's a me problem and not the irons.

I'm really enjoying hitting these. Mishits are still online with only minimal distance loss. Well struck shots are nice and high and land soft. Looking down at these just inspires confidence and it's really fun to hit these. I'm going to keep enjoying these and watch my scores keep going down.

Hey GregDan.

I.

Told.

You.

So.

So I've had a few rounds with these now and I'm pretty hooked.

I have the KBS FLTD in S+ in these and it's a killer combination. I hit these high and long. I still struggle with the long irons but that's a me problem and not the irons.

I'm really enjoying hitting these. Mishits are still online with only minimal distance loss. Well struck shots are nice and high and land soft. Looking down at these just inspires confidence and it's really fun to hit these. I'm going to keep enjoying these and watch my scores keep going down.

hey did you get rid of these? i have been looking hard at them but i need and play heavier shafts the 100 g and under just dont work for me. i cant find them other then with the DG XP shafts in them.

hey did you get rid of these? i have been looking hard at them but i need and play heavier shafts the 100 g and under just dont work for me. i cant find them other then with the DG XP shafts in them.
Nope still have them. Haven't played them in a bit as I'm still getting dialed in with my other set. But these are still a fantastic club.

Nope still have them. Haven't played them in a bit as I'm still getting dialed in with my other set. But these are still a fantastic club.

so did you game them with stock shafts then swap them out? did the ball flight come down quite a bit?

so did you game them with stock shafts then swap them out? did the ball flight come down quite a bit?
I threw the FLTD right in. Ball flight will be higher with these. I know they are a bit higher than the Tours I normally play.

Longtime member, but haven't posted here in eons. But I have a set of F5s on order and should have them in 10 days or so. Gotta say I cannot wait. Kind of stumbled upon these irons at PGA Superstore and thought they looked great and intriguing. Have played Mizuno MP53s for years, but wanted to get something a little more forgiving but still forged. I bought a cheap set of AP1s on eBay to kind of audition them, and don't care for them much at all - mostly due to the jacked up lofts.

But I hit these at PGA SS and got fitted and ordered a set - pretty impulsively for me, but that's how impressed I was with the F5s on the monitor.

Longtime member, but haven't posted here in eons. But I have a set of F5s on order and should have them in 10 days or so. Gotta say I cannot wait. Kind of stumbled upon these irons at PGA Superstore and thought they looked great and intriguing. Have played Mizuno MP53s for years, but wanted to get something a little more forgiving but still forged. I bought a cheap set of AP1s on eBay to kind of audition them, and don't care for them much at all - mostly due to the jacked up lofts.

But I hit these at PGA SS and got fitted and ordered a set - pretty impulsively for me, but that's how impressed I was with the F5s on the monitor.

Nice! These REALLY are sneaky good irons. Its a nice profile to add forgiveness, but they did a great job on the feel factor this go-round (compared to the M3 which were a little "clicky"/harsh). I really think you'll enjoy them!

Just took delivery of a set today, and played a quick 18 holes this afternoon. I am currently off 21 and although I do hit the ball well my short game isn`t great which explains the HC. I have been playing with Wilson Staff D200`s fitted with DG S300 shafts. Whilst i hit the D200`s very well, I wanted a club that gives more feed back on mishits to improve my ball striking. My Normal 7 iron distance is around 175 yards, and although its early days; I feel that I can hit these just as easily as the D200`s probably albeit 5 yards per club shorter. Ball flight is slightly lower than the D200`s and they certainly let you know on slight mishit, but mishits aren`t really punishing distance wise either. The thing for me was the feel when the ball comes out of the sweetspot, pure butter soft feeling strikes. Early days I know, but so far so good.

Just took delivery of a set today, and played a quick 18 holes this afternoon. I am currently off 21 and although I do hit the ball well my short game isn`t great which explains the HC. I have been playing with Wilson Staff D200`s fitted with DG S300 shafts. Whilst i hit the D200`s very well, I wanted a club that gives more feed back on mishits to improve my ball striking. My Normal 7 iron distance is around 175 yards, and although its early days; I feel that I can hit these just as easily as the D200`s probably albeit 5 yards per club shorter. Ball flight is slightly lower than the D200`s and they certainly let you know on slight mishit, but mishits aren`t really punishing distance wise either. The thing for me was the feel when the ball comes out of the sweetspot, pure butter soft feeling strikes. Early days I know, but so far so good.

Glad you are enjoying them! Those are two REALLy solid sets of sticks!

+1, enjoy them! I imagine you probably don't see many DG S300s on the D200. They come with 85g shafts stock, right?

Dave

+1, enjoy them! I imagine you probably don't see many DG S300s on the D200. They come with 85g shafts stock, right?

Dave

Yes you are correct. Had the D200`s custom fit with the S300 shaft, I hook the hell out of a regular shaft. I was out bright and early for another 18 holes this morning and shot 88 gross. My short game was pretty good today. Shot of the round was on a 134 yard par 3, took the pitching wedge and the ball took off high and straight at the pin. Pitched and hopped about 4 feet in front of the hole leaving an 18" tap in birdie.

On the final par 5 I took 3 hybrid off the tee landed middle of the fairway. Then hit the F5 6 iron (over water) 185 yards or so with a nice draw, leaving me (cleveland 52 degree) a gap wedge onto the green. Still waiting on the F5 gap wedge to arrive, should be here next week.

Wilson somehow seem to have got the distance of A GI iron with the feel of a players iron with these clubs. 7 iron distance with the F5`s is around 170 with the D200`s, it`s around 175 - 180. 9 iron with the F5`s 145, D200`s 150. So maybe as I thought yesterday 5 - 6 yards shorter. They do give loads of feedback though, which hopefully will help my game improve.

Back