SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putting this in Off Topic because it can apply to anything, but it can easily apply to golf stuff too.

What are your thoughts on paying retail prices? I've realized lately in shopping for some new ski layers that for better or worse, I am a pathological deal hunter. I'll ponder and shop things around to death to save mostly pretty small amounts, and sometimes score a great deal. But I also think it tends to cause me to steer away from some great products - after all, things that never go on sale are often (not always) the most well regarded in their field. But something about just the idea of paying full price repels me.

I hate retail. Hate it.

Living in Canada there's an entire new layer to the retail pie. Everything is 20% cheaper 10 minutes across the line, not to mention eBay and other sources.

The only clubs I never paid retail for are the Bio Cell woods which were an impulse buy and I regret it. Had I waited 2 short months I could have got them for 50% what I paid.

I try to avoid paying retail whenever I can, especially on golf equipment. I also try to avoid buying clubs from people I don't know. Like ebay. I really like being able to see the person I am buying the clubs from.

Never! eBay is my 1st option; then elsewhere online and finally, sales/clearance prices only when at a brick & mortar store.

Never! eBay is my 1st option; then elsewhere online and finally, sales/clearance prices only when at a brick & mortar store.

Exactly the same for me.

This is one reason I do not own Pings. Every February, a locally owned golf shop has a 15% off everything sale. Everything except balls and Pings. For some reason, Ping will not let them reduce the prices on relatively new equipment.

I hardly ever pay retail for anything other than gas and food.
I always wait for sales, look for coupons, or just ask what the best fair price that they can offer.
Although I have never bought anything on ebay, I have used Craigslist for a lot of stuff.

I try to avoid retail as much as possible, but sometimes when I have an urge I don't care.

Maybe I have an awkward view.

If it is something I want & I have the means to acquire it, I will pay what it costs. If I feel the need to shop to death, I don't really want/need it.

I'm more or less the same, but I tend to look to places other than eBay first then compare to the prices on eBay. Customer service, return options, etc. will almost always tend to be better on a true online store, and I'm willing to take a small price hike for that assurance.

That being said, more than half of my golf bag is courtesy of eBay, so I'm obviously not averse to it haha.

Maybe I have an awkward view.

If it is something I want & I have the means to acquire it, I will pay what it costs. If I feel the need to shop to death, I don't really want/need it.

See, this is where my brain is heading on the small discounts, but I can't get that thought past my subconscious. Even if the difference is only like $20 between the best sale price and retail on a $200 item, AND the retail piece is much more convenient to acquire or return if needed, my subconscious repels the idea.

If I can get away with looking for a deal then I will look, but that's not always the case something just never go on sale or the version/brand I want doesn't. Some clothes I will hunt for a deal on some like my jeans I will pay retail for because they are a small company USA from field to being worn and don't go on sale.

I try to avoid it at all costs. I paid retail a couple of weeks ago for a driver and fairway woods and also earlier this year for a couple of putters. Had not paid retail for any golf equipment in many, many years prior to this year. Did it this year for a couple of reasons. One, to show my support for a couple of companies (SeeMore and Callaway) that are very active in and supportive of THP. Second, to get exact specs I wanted built from the OEMs without having to go to the trouble of getting clubs fit to my specs aftermarket.

Very seldomly do I pay retail, if it ane be found elsewhere for less Im all about it

Depends on what it is, and if I need it. And by need it, I mean need it. Not want it.

Golf related, I have yet to buy anything retail. I might buy SCUBA equipment at retail, especially if it comes from a SCUBA shop directly and they have a plan in place to inspect and maintain it. Golf is a fun hobby, SCUBA could be a life and death proposition so I'll pay extra for hopefully a but more extra provided safety.

Oh yeah, and I'll buy my wet suit retail if I can't find it on sale. Not buying that used for obvious reasons.

It's a purchase by purchase thing for me. Once I decide to buy something, I may look around for the best price, but I never let price (retail vs finding a deal) keep me from buying something.

On the flip side, if I see a good deal on a quality product, I may buy it even though I don't need it--Sun Mountain Glider on Black Friday for instance.

While I generally look for deals, I also feel a certain loyalty/affinity for salespeople who toil in bricks and mortar operations and expend time and knowledge to help me out .
As a rule I am a buyer who looks at the spread between B&M vs. online, etc. and the quality/need of local service.
Example:
If I can purchase something online or on sale for $85 - $90 vs $100 at my local merchant (10-15% variation), I'll probably always pay the $100;
If the price online is $50 vs $100, the spread wins and I'll take the $50. I will not however have some poor local guy spend hours teaching me about and demonstrating the product(s) to help me decide.

It depends on the product and the store and the time involved. That is what is great with the internet, you can price check just about anything and at least see what the ballpark is. One thing to watch out for are the constant 40%/50%/B1G1 off stores. That 40%/50% off price IS the retail. It's when you get below that when you start getting a bargain.

Deal hunting is very common. Retailers are starting to pick up on that, resulting in much larger mark ups and more frequent sales.

Jos A. Bank is notorious for this sales model and why they've been incredibly successful the past few years. They routinely run 75% off sales, and even as recent as last year or two years ago had a sale that was buy 1 suit, get 6 free.

I feel for a retailer to be successful these days, they need to acknowledge that the common person psychologically has this need to know they're finding a deal or paying the lowest price. Anyone shop at Walmart for these reasons? :)

It depends on the product and the store and the time involved. That is what is great with the internet, you can price check just about anything and at least see what the ballpark is. One thing to watch out for are the constant 40%/50%/B1G1 off stores. That 40%/50% off price IS the retail. It's when you get below that when you start getting a bargain.

Deal hunting is very common. Retailers are starting to pick up on that, resulting in much larger mark ups and more frequent sales.

Jos A. Bank is notorious for this sales model and why they've been incredibly successful the past few years. They routinely run 75% off sales, and even as recent as last year or two years ago had a sale that was buy 1 suit, get 6 free.

I feel for a retailer to be successful these days, they need to acknowledge that the common person psychologically has this need to know they're finding a deal or paying the lowest price. Anyone shop at Walmart for these reasons? :)

Extremely good point. Nowhere is this more clear than in outlet malls. Many retailers sell things in outlets that are purported to be previous year's styles or overruns, but in reality they are lower quality products sold at outlet prices with a listed "MSRP" that is completely bogus. There are definitely retailers that don't do this, but you have to be careful. The Jos A. Bank model is very similar to this - put a retail price on the tag that's much higher than the price you are actually charging to make the consumer feel like he/she is making out like a bandit.

That being said, there are other brands that defend their retail prices like a fortress. Titleist in golf comes to mind, as does Arc'teryx in ski/outdoor clothing (actually the brand I referred to in the original post). The key as CardsFan said is to distinguish these companies from the ones where the "retail price" is a myth to make sure you're paying a fair price.

Paying retail?

I pay retail at stores that I like. Some things you can't buy unseen and unfelt. I want those stores to stay in business, so I'll buy some (not all) at the local GG where I demo clubs all the time for instance.

I pay retail at stores that I like. Some things you can't buy unseen and unfelt. I want those stores to stay in business, so I'll buy some (not all) at the local GG where I demo clubs all the time for instance.

Yep, I'm with you there. For instance I demo a ton of clubs at Pro Golf Discount, so I try to buy at least little stuff from them, and when they have sales I try to partake. Also take lessons from their pro, who is a good guy. Or the local ski shop, their selection is limited but I do always have my repair and binding tests done there to support them.

Even with golf stuff, there are just too many ways that money can be saved for me to just walk in and make a largish purchase at retail prices. I have shied away from eBay more and more, but I just don't have the cash reserves to intentionally give money away when I can get the same item cheaper with a quick search. Better question would be being sucked into something you really don't need due to a sale...but that's a whole different topic.

I am deathly allergic to retail prices. I am way to cheap, frugal and broke to pay retail for anything other than food (even then I try to use coupons or discount cards).

Back