NHL 2013-2014 Season

all the hugging that goes on in front of the net after every whistle.

This made me laugh. It is pretty ridiculous. I'd love to hear the banter in those scrums.

I think we all need to remember Scott Stevens. The guy did more than just try and separate guys from the puck and is considered one of the best defencemen in the history of the league. Now someone lays a similar hit and is considered dirty and a head hunter.

this is where we disagree, open ice hits are plaguing this game.

hockey should be all about good plays, shots, saves, goals, not hits IMO

What is wrong with a nice clean open ice hit?

I think we all need to remember Scott Stevens. The guy did more than just try and separate guys from the puck and is considered one of the best defencemen in the history of the league. Now someone lays a similar hit and is considered dirty and a head hunter.

I still dont get why this son of a mom got into the hall of fame...

What is wrong with a nice clean open ice hit?

I just wish I could see a week without seeing a player getting leaving the ice on a stretcher because of one of these nice open ice hits

I still dont get why this son of a mom got into the hall of fame...

13 all star games, 3 Stanley cups, conn Smythe winner. Just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Take a look at some of the hits from the late 80's. Guys are bigger stronger faster and have armour not protection. If guys were doing this today I think someone might end up dead.

Take a look at some of the hits from the late 80's. Guys are bigger stronger faster and have armour not protection. If guys were doing this today I think someone might end up dead.

its only a matter of time...

13 all star games, 3 Stanley cups, conn Smythe winner. Just saying.

not saying his thing didnt work... I just don't like this kind of hockey

I just wish I could see a week without seeing a player getting leaving the ice on a stretcher because of one of these nice open ice hits

Open ice hits are part of the game the separate the player from the puck. It's one of many aspects that make the game great. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see flying elbows and clotheslines but a nice hip check or just a straight up body check is exciting it just sucks that a good hard hit seems to end up in a fight all the time now days.

not saying his thing didnt work... I just don't like this kind of hockey

That's what happens when you're a Canadians fan. Haven't seen a guy like that there since Robinson.

I kid of course. I know what you mean, but had to joke about Montreal and them always being called a small team.

Open ice hits are part of the game the separate the player from the puck. It's one of many aspects that make the game great. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see flying elbows and clotheslines but a nice hip check or just a straight up body check is exciting it just sucks that a good hard hit seems to end up in a fight all the time now days.

I agree with the useless fighting, still dont like open ice hits. I know I'm probably alone in my world, but I just wish the skilled players would be able to skate and put on a show.

I agree with the useless fighting, still dont like open ice hits. I know I'm probably alone in my world, but I just wish the skilled players would be able to skate and put on a show.

So you don't like a nice hip check like this?
[video=youtube_share;M0rg-H21MvU]http://youtu.be/M0rg-H21MvU[/video]

At least they got rid of the clutch and grab style of hockey. The skilled players are a lot more likely to be able to skate now than they did pre lockout.

you are right, Emelin is a good Dman, but I dont think this kind of behavior is more acceptable if a player of my favorite team does it. I particularly hate seeing suban hitting with his back like he likes to do... he is gonna get hurt badly one of these days

you are right, Emelin is a good Dman, but I dont think this kind of behavior is more acceptable if a player of my favorite team does it. I particularly hate seeing suban hitting with his back like he likes to do... he is gonna get hurt badly one of these days

We will have to agree to disagree on clean open ice hits. To each their own I guess. To the bold I agree hit with your shoulder or face to face.

This defines hockey to me. IMO the hip check is the best play in the game. Clean, effective and takes a ton of skill to deliver well. But I grew up watching Rob Blake control the blue line with his thundering hip checks.

We are talking about hockey here, its beauty lies in the balance of skill and physicality. To turn it into a skills competition would be a huge travesty. Further eliminating some of the dirty play would be welcome, eliminating hockey as a physical game would effectively kill the sport.

This defines hockey to me. IMO the hip check is the best play in the game. Clean, effective and takes a ton of skill to deliver well. But I grew up watching Rob Blake control the blue line with his thundering hip checks.

We are talking about hockey here, its beauty lies in the balance of skill and physicality. To turn it into a skills competition would be a huge travesty. Further eliminating some of the dirty play would be welcome, eliminating hockey as a physical game would effectively kill the sport.

Having played hockey since I was four, I almost could not agree more. Those who have their reservations about the physicality of the game have likely not played it at a high level, only then you can appreciate the necessity to bring physical play to the game. Someone above mentioned they "wished skilled players could put on a show and skate", it's those of the most skill who can play within this game and defy the elements of it, and also add some of it to their game as well.

While I dislike the blatant hits from behind or elbows to the head coming across the ice, everything else is fair game in my opinion. If you don't like getting hit on the open ice then pick your head up, or go yell at your defenseman for dishing a horrible pass :)

Open ice hits are a part of the game and will continue to be, at least they better be. Such an awesome feeling to execute one perfectly especially as a defensemen. It is one part of the game that separates this sport from all the others bias yeah so what haha

Scott Stevens was a GREAT example of how to play this game the way it is supposed to be played. I would take him on any team no matter what as opposed to a forward who only plays hard in the offensive zone or when they have the puck ( ehhhhm Jagr). Just my 2 cents

Scrap great video thanks for posting. Some of those hits are down right criminal I LOVE IT! hahaha

I used to watch this one VHS "101 Thunderous Hits" before every game I played it was awesome.

One thing I noticed most about those hits; guys are bracing themselves for the hits. I wont say all of them, but majority of the time, guys were bracing themselves or hitting the guy back at the same time. Just don't see that kind of battle these days.

I like a good clean hit and I agree having to fight because you deliver one is stupid.
Orpik has taken catching guys when they are vulnerable to an art form and he does hit to hurt.
The other reason he is a scumbag is that his stickwork is unbelievable. Watch him after the whistle with the subtle crosschecks and slashes.

Open ice hits are a part of the game and will continue to be, at least they better be. Such an awesome feeling to execute one perfectly especially as a defensemen. It is one part of the game that separates this sport from all the others bias yeah so what haha

Scott Stevens was a GREAT example of how to play this game the way it is supposed to be played. I would take him on any team no matter what as opposed to a forward who only plays hard in the offensive zone or when they have the puck ( ehhhhm Jagr). Just my 2 cents

I loved Scott Stevens but he used to target the head a lot. He ended Lindros' career and almost killed Kariya. He'd have to clean up his act a little if he played today.

I loved Scott Stevens but he used to target the head a lot. He ended Lindros' career and almost killed Kariya. He'd have to clean up his act a little if he played today.

I will partially agree with you there but both those hits are highlighted because of the players he hit IMO. Lindros ended his own career by skating with his head down as much as he did.

On another note you Canadians will love this.... My students all think I am from Canada because I love hockey and speak about it frequently I also have a beard. One of them said I just assumed you were Canadian. Haha

Back