Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

I agree with the walking comment! I walked Cog Hill today which is a pretty flat course. A few of the holes felt like I was pushing a sandbox (my cart/bag) up a mountain. It was great to get some exercise and be on the course. Nice 92 - especially for the first time out. Putting killed me today also six 3 jacks!! I did hit 7 fairways with my new Nike Covert Tour driver. Was happy with that.

Played St. Andrews with my old man...course was in better shape than I expected. 1st round with the new SLDR was pretty good off the tee, very good into the wind. I was using a Calaway Hex Diablo, very good in the wind, and better than I expected around the greens. Looking forward to seeing how this ball stacks up on a dry course. Didn't play as well as I would have liked and lost a lot of strokes with the putter, so I am confident that will come around. 45-47 92 Very nice to be back on the course. Walking 18 was much harder than I remembered....ha

Agreed walking is the way to play in my book. Great exercise and allows you to get in tune with you game.

I'm a walker. Carts happen only when required. Wouldn't have it any other way... Although I do have a push cart now.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Blizzard what?

Seems like it was CBS trying to get a "reaction" from viewers. They have since said the storm for Monday evening doesn't have a lot of moisture, so may turn out to be mostly wind.

Yeah frost was out there a while. Ah well. Most other courses should be open next weekend....depending on weather... Maybe some of us can get together. Shepherd's Crook is on my mind. We'll see how the week shapes up.

I might be able to get out both days, but have a furniture delivery on Sunday, so won't know schedule for that until Friday, probably. I expect to be playing mediocre golf, anyway, so it would be a win to just swing the club outside, for a change.

I'm a walker. Carts happen only when required. Wouldn't have it any other way... Although I do have a push cart now.

I'm thinking about making the move to a push cart this year, completely happy with the change? I might have to give up my 7 year old ping hoofer if I get a push cart...but I have a back issue that carrying can bring about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My PING Hoofer is at least 7 years old and works just fine on my ClicGear cart. I love to walk, but can't carry anymore without bad consequences after each round.

I'm thinking about making the move to a push cart this year, completely happy with the change? I might have to give up my 7 year old ping hoofer if I get a push cart...but I have a back issue that carrying can bring about.

I got a sun mountain micro cart for league last season and loved it. Highly recommend.

My PING Hoofer is at least 7 years old and works just fine on my ClicGear cart. I love to walk, but can't carry anymore without bad consequences after each round.

I was a little hesitant because I don't want to buy a new bag, hoofer is going strong. I think I will pick up an inexpensive used push cart for this season. Thanks!

I use the tour trek one click 2.0 and its great.

Anybody know how Makrays practice facilities are? (Captaincaution might of mentioned something)

Grass range? Are there targets to hit to? Short game area? How much per bucket?

Since we moved, I'm only 10 minutes away and would love to start practicing there if the facilities are good.

Anybody know how Makrays practice facilities are? (Captaincaution might of mentioned something)

Since we moved, I'm only 10 minutes away and would love to start practicing there if the facilities are good.

Grass range with mats in the back for sloppy days I'd imagine. They have target flags at various distances. It was 3 bucks for a small bucket, 6 for a large but I'd classify the bucket sizes as small and medium. There is a small short game area with a practice bunker that, once conditions are better, would be representative of the bunkers on course. Fair sized practice green as well, but no chipping to it.

Grass right now is still very dormant, which isn't a surprise.

If you ten minutes away that is a convenient range to use. I drive 20 minutes to use it. Most of the year it normally on the grass. They have about 4-5 targets. Buckets are smaller than I like but oh well. The putting green is huge and fast which represents the greens on the course fast and curvy. The chipping area allows for about a 40 yard shot plus a bunker to play in. Hopefully they will put more sand in the practice trap this year.

Guess winter is back....

Out in Rockford for work today. Drove out of my way to check out Aldeen. Man that course looks like it's in great shape. I need to get out there this summer. Love that track.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Out in Rockford for work today. Drove out of my way to check out Aldeen. Man that course looks like it's in great shape. I need to get out there this summer. Love that track.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good course. Very tight if you're playing from the back tees. Lots of water and trees. A good time but easy to make big numbers. Keep an eye on groupgolfer.com for special offers.

Have any of you guys played the Oak Club of Genoa? If so what are your thoughts?

Have any of you guys played the Oak Club of Genoa? If so what are your thoughts?

Oh goodness....I have. Last summer myself and some friends drove out and played there in the morning and Blackstone in the afternoon.

To get there you have to drive for a few miles into a neighborhood. The clubhouse is a nice old place from the outside. It's stone and really quite a place from back in the day. The inside is completely stripped. There are no chairs, tables, pictures or anything. There was no food or drink to buy. It was a counter with a cash register and nothing more. Kind of creepy.

The front nine of the course was actually in pretty good shape. The layout was nice and greens were in good shape. That being said, once you hit hole 11, it turned into a cow pasture. The holes got all goofy and conditions were less than ideal. It really seemed like they took a cow pasture, carved in some holes and don't do much to keep up the conditions.

I don't think we'll be heading out there again since they wanted like $40 to play. I'd say if it was $25 or less, then MAYBE. But don't say I didn't warn you about the back nine.

Funny thing is that the course actually could be a good place to play. They've got a river running through and some room to make improvements. But I'm guessing since it's in the middle of nowhere, there's not nearly enough cash to do anything at all.

Good luck if you go. Let me know if anything has improved.....

Oh goodness....I have. Last summer myself and some friends drove out and played there in the morning and Blackstone in the afternoon.

To get there you have to drive for a few miles into a neighborhood. The clubhouse is a nice old place from the outside. It's stone and really quite a place from back in the day. The inside is completely stripped. There are no chairs, tables, pictures or anything. There was no food or drink to buy. It was a counter with a cash register and nothing more. Kind of creepy.

The front nine of the course was actually in pretty good shape. The layout was nice and greens were in good shape. That being said, once you hit hole 11, it turned into a cow pasture. The holes got all goofy and conditions were less than ideal. It really seemed like they took a cow pasture, carved in some holes and don't do much to keep up the conditions.

I don't think we'll be heading out there again since they wanted like $40 to play. I'd say if it was $25 or less, then MAYBE. But don't say I didn't warn you about the back nine.

Funny thing is that the course actually could be a good place to play. They've got a river running through and some room to make improvements. But I'm guessing since it's in the middle of nowhere, there's not nearly enough cash to do anything at all.

I have played there several times...conditioning has gotten worse. I do like the front and about 3 holes on the back...they have re- designed the back 9 several times. When I was there last year an employee told me they were going to rework some holes on the back again. They have flooding issues on the back.

I was just sitting here thinking about courses that are really tough to score on...for me. Oak Club has always been one.
My regular playing partner hates the Oak Club...posts huge #'s there. I could see this course being a lot of fun if taken care of and set up properly. There are some boring holes on the back 9..you are correct.

I don't know many others who get out there and always wondered what others opinions were...thanks.
Did anyone score better at Blackstone?

I shot 86 at oak and 78 at Blackstone....both from tips. Oak was tough bc I didn't know the course.

you said you feel that Aldeen is tight, do you score well there? I have never perceived it as tight, but that is probably because relative to Sandy Hollow (Rockford muni), where I logged most of my rounds growing up ... it has a touch more width.

I really enjoy playing Aldeen, and tend to post some of my best rounds, (relative to slope) there. I have played it a lot though...

Have you played Prairie view in Byron? some tight driving holes there... good to pair with Aldeen.

Stonewall Orchard....

Golf Course Opening Friday, April 4th!Rates:
Opening Day $45 Includes Complimentary CartApril 5th - 6th $55 Includes Complimentary CartApril 7th – 11th $59 Includes Complimentary Cart

you said you feel that Aldeen is tight, do you score well there? I have never perceived it as tight, but that is probably because relative to Sandy Hollow (Rockford muni), where I logged most of my rounds growing up ... it has a touch more width.

I really enjoy playing Aldeen, and tend to post some of my best rounds, (relative to slope) there. I have played it a lot though...

Have you played Prairie view in Byron? some tight driving holes there... good to pair with Aldeen.

Only played Aldeen once last year. Scored ok. If I was hitting anything decent off the tee I would have scored much better but I was in the trees all day. Seems like you are playing out of chutes off the tee all day to me. I did like it a lot though.

PrairieView is awesome. Have played out there a handful of times. I really like getting out west and playing. Timber Pointe is nice too. I'll probably play them all at least once this year. Last year we paired Aldeen and Timber Pointe together. We were going to play Aldeen the same day at PrairieView but rain had Aldeen closed.

I would echo what the others have said. I played there a couple of times last year. Course was not in great condition. Compared to some of the other options in the area, definitely not the value or the quality. That being said, if you need a quick round, the times I went there was no one there so could easily play 18 without much delay.

My wife and I moved to Pingree Grove 8 years ago. My wife works in Genoa and told me about the course as soon as we moved in. We used to love playing the course. The used to have a full pro shop, full bar, grill inside. They used to get a lot of play.

They wanted to try to host more sanctioned events (amateur qualifiers) like they used too. In order to do this they needed to install a driving range. They put the range in were the 18th hole was. After they added the range, the 18th hole green used to be in the middle of the course- it was literally hard to find your way back to the clubhouse. They then messed with 5 or 6 of the holes on the back 9. They sold off all the pro shop merchandise. We haven't been back in 3 or 4 years. They have since put 18 back and have moved the range.

It's a shame. It used to be a fun course that was challenging with tree lined fairways. The greens always ran true and fast. I won't go back. I'm surprised they are still in business.

Prairie View is going to move up my list of places to play this year. I work in Rockford so could be an easy drive down on an afternoon I get done early.

Aldeen is a great course, but They can be very busy. Lots of people and lots of events. They do have, in my opinion, one of the best practice facilities I've been to. Try to head there at least once or twice a week.

I think Timber Pointe is very underrated. Great course. Very fun. Great value.

Back