Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody playing one? I hit my local builders personal driver and man it was nice

Yes, very solid. I really like the GRT face as it keeps the launch and spin much more consistent. Plus the heavier head (and ability to tip weight) makes it playable at shorter lengths.

Anybody playing one? I hit my local builders personal driver and man it was nice

He is wanting to build me one with a matrix radix h6

Kinda moved out of my Wishon phase, but he makes some very nice stuff. At various points had Wishon irons and fairways - the MC949, in particular, were incredibly excellent clubs.
Have a friend who still loves his non-conforming hi-cor 959 Driver.

This thing had an awesome sound. That crack you hear when you nail it

Timely thread for me. I have always bought my drivers "off the rack", but recently started working with a club fitter who is suggesting a Wishon 919 head, with a Wishon Blue 45 A shaft tipped to make it A+. He is also suggesting shorter - 44.5" - length and 14 degree loft. I have a slow swing speed ~77 and he believes the higher loft will maximize my distance/accuracy. I am going to confirm my launch monitor numbers next week. Anyone have experience with having a Wishon driver built up?

Timely thread for me. I have always bought my drivers "off the rack", but recently started working with a club fitter who is suggesting a Wishon 919 head, with a Wishon Blue 45 A shaft tipped to make it A+. He is also suggesting shorter - 44.5" - length and 14 degree loft. I have a slow swing speed ~77 and he believes the higher loft will maximize my distance/accuracy. I am going to confirm my launch monitor numbers next week. Anyone have experience with having a Wishon driver built up?

I will at some point. I loved the feel of the one I hit today.

I play a 919. 10 degree square club face. Great driver.

About to test the 739.

I've read several reviews and they all seem positive.

IcyShanks will chime in here soon I believe. If I recall he has played this and a few other Wishon heads and recommended them to me. I'm terrified to change anything right now but have ogled the 919 for a long time since every clubfitter I've spoken to (like 6 of them) have all recommended it.

I have a spare 919 hand picked 9.5 degree square FA club head if anyone is interested.

Its a solid head, I enjoyed my time tinkering with one. In the end, is it lightyears better than anything else? Nah, but most things aren't nowadays.

What it is, is a solid head when paired with the right shaft. IMO it has a good look to it and great feel through impact. Solid option to mess around with, if you can find them.

Its a solid head, I enjoyed my time tinkering with one. In the end, is it lightyears better than anything else? Nah, but most things aren't nowadays.

What it is, is a solid head when paired with the right shaft. IMO it has a good look to it and great feel through impact. Solid option to mess around with, if you can find them.

See that's what this guy claims. He's seen me hit 1000s of balls and says he can tweak a club to fit me

I have been gaming one for years. Still the best driver I have tried. I have been trying to find a new driver and in the end I am just going to replace it with the newer model. The newer model is slightly better construction and has bendable hosel so it can be bent by clubmaker with a wood bending machine. I have gamed Wishon clubs since he was with Golfsmith and everything I have ever gotten has been solid and well constructed.

The 919THI is a great head. It is one of the best component heads out there. This head has been out on the market for more than a few years and it has been tweaked by Tom Wishon several times until it is about as good as it gets. Very high MOI is very forgiving and comes in quite a few different lofts. Many users claim it is long as well. With Wishon golf you can get a head picked for loft, lie and or face angle. One of the best component companies around.

I will probably try it. The one I hit had a Radix HD6 shaft in it.

How about the Wishon shafts? Anyone gaming them?

How about the Wishon shafts? Anyone gaming them?

I have tried them in the past have not tried them in past couple of years. When I did have them they are very stable shafts and feel pretty good. I had a 515 3w and 5w both with old interflexx which is the Black shaft now I think. The 3w may as well been my driver it was long. I am waiting to see what shaft models come out these year I am hoping for the possibility of a heavy graphite iron shaft as I am going to go with graphite to help with my arthritis.

I don't know anything about the shafts. I don't remember seeing any on his wall.

So I emailed Wishon today because we'll I'm a bit of a researcher. To my surprise I got a very lengthy and detailed email back. Not your standard PR email. Once I replied about me understanding and being a guy who works with flight worthy manufacturing I got a second more detailed email. I am very pleased with this and unless something changes I will try this club

Any interesting details you can share?

Colby

Thank you for your email and for your interest in our company and our design work. We appreciate that very much.

The feature that makes the model 919THI driver heads so forgiving for off center hit performance is the variable thickness cup face construction of the face. The 919THI faces are made so there is an oval shaped area in the center of the face that is 2.95mm thick, then the surrounding area all around this oval shaped center area is 2.75mm thick. This design allows impact in the center of the face to react with a 0.830 COR, but when you hit the ball off center, the thinner perimeter area offers less resistance to face flexing so the off center hit can flex the face inward more than is possible if the face is made with a single uniform thickness.

In addition, the face piece in each 919 is made to be shaped like a shallow cup that could hold water, for lack of a better description. What this does is it allows the welding line that holds the face to the body of the head to be on the top, sides and sole of the head and not on the very edges of the face. That in turn means there is less resistance to face flexing for shots hit off center so combined with the variable thickness face surface design, the whole face can flex a little more inward when the shot is hit off center. If you weld the face to the head so the welding lines are right on the very edges of the face as most every other company does, this welding line on the face edges all around the face brings about more stiffness when it comes to the face being able to flex more inward for shots hit off center.

In addition, we pay more per head to have the 919THI driver heads manufactured so that during the production process, the faces of each 919 can be ultrasonically measured for their face thickness to ensure we can achieve these 2.95/2.75mm variable thickness dimensions. So after each step in the production and finishing of the face, their thicknesses are checked. This means each 919 comes off the production line with a tighter tolerance for the face thickness dimensions.

In actual COR air cannon hit testing of the 919THI driver heads, the areas that are 1/2" away from the very center of the face measure to have a COR of 0.822 when the center of the face is 0.830. That is an incredibly small drop off in the COR. Air cannon COR testing we have done with a uniform thickness face shows that the areas that are 1/2" away from the very center of the face measure to have a COR of 0.805 when the center of the face is 0.830.

All of this has been possible because of my experience in face design and what I have learned in the process of all my design work experience. I designed the first variable thickness driver face back in 1996 simply as an experiment that began with the thought, "what if we . . . . . . " From that first variable thickness face design, I have had the chance to create 6 other variations in variable thickness face designs in drivers. And from all that experience has come the current face design on the 919THI drivers.

So these are the things that makes the face design of the 919THI driver more special and in our opinion, better than any other driver on the market today. I do thank you again for your interest and wish you the very best in this great game!

TOM WISHON

Thanks. Everything I have read from Tom Wishon has been based on fact and research. I have seen him respond personally on many forums. I have been a homer for the new technologies, but the input I have seen about the 919 head has me leaning to getting a custom driver built.

Wishon 919

Thanks. Everything I have read from Tom Wishon has been based on fact and research. I have seen him respond personally on many forums. I have been a homer for the new technologies, but the input I have seen about the 919 head has me leaning to getting a custom driver built.

I'll tell you what has me leaning that way. When my dad was playing right at scratch golf he played custom woods. Said hitting fairways was key to getting lower scores

Hi as my experience with Wishon goes back a long ways. I know his drivers are exactly what he says they are. They play as well as any driver on the market. His shafts, the gold series is very stable and very consistent in the construction.
His shaft designs keep getting better. I would put his shaft up against most any other OEM shaft out here.
The problem is finding a good fitter that will do a proper fitting.

Back