General question: Iron Shaft impact on launch angle

Milwaukeeguy

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have stock cleveland TT stiff shafts, and they are shown as a "high launch" shaft in the cleveland catalog.

As I have increased my clubhead speed with some lessons and practice, I'm seeing higher ballflights that I would like, and I'd like to be able to flight my scoring irons a little lower (when I tried to flight them lower with technique, I'd describe the flight as "medium".)

If I went to a similar weight, low launching shaft (DG SL maybe?), how much impact would it really make? Would the difference be subtle, or is it something that will jump out at me right away?

Generally speaking, all things being relatively equal, how much launch angle would be reduced by going to a low launch iron shaft vs a high launch iron shaft? I know it will vary greatly based upon user, clubhead, technique, etc. I'm just trying to get a handle on a possible equipment upgrade vs trying to lower my launch with just technique changes.

Thanks!

What are your launch angles and spin numbers?

What are your launch angles and spin numbers?

It's a fair question, and I don't have a good answer.

My 8 iron goes about 155, but it does balloon a little bit. It's not a penetrating ball flight. It wasn't a problem previously, because my clubhead speed was a little less, and I was generating less ballspeed and likely less spin.

I know I really need to get on a Mizuno optimizer or something similar, I'm just talking in general terms: How much difference does a "low launch" vs a "high Launch" shaft make?

I know there are a ton of variables that effect launch, I'm just trying to set my expectations for if an equipment change would help. I don't expect new shafts to be a magic bullet, but if the differences are subtle, then I'll spend my money and time on more lessons and see if I can bring my ball flight down with technique.

EDIT: I know there is no "magic answer" to a question like this, just trying to set my expectations. In theory, would a low launch shaft bring launch down like 5% compared to a high launch shaft? 10%? 50%? 90%?

The answer is that there really isn't an answer. At least in the terms you are looking for.

Yes, it could help you. Could being the key word. Knowing your current launch conditions would be the first step.

It's a fair question, and I don't have a good answer.

My 8 iron goes about 155, but it does balloon a little bit. It's not a penetrating ball flight. It wasn't a problem previously, because my clubhead speed was a little less, and I was generating less ballspeed and likely less spin.

I know I really need to get on a Mizuno optimizer or something similar, I'm just talking in general terms: How much difference does a "low launch" vs a "high Launch" shaft make?

I know there are a ton of variables that effect launch, I'm just trying to set my expectations for if an equipment change would help. I don't expect new shafts to be a magic bullet, but if the differences are subtle, then I'll spend my money and time on more lessons and see if I can bring my ball flight down with technique.

EDIT: I know there is no "magic answer" to a question like this, just trying to set my expectations. In theory, would a low launch shaft bring launch down like 5% compared to a high launch shaft? 10%? 50%? 90%?
Ballooning and a high ball are two different things. I always started with ball first contact. If your hitting the ball then ground, that's good. High ball flights are typically better for me. It's easier to learn to flight down than it is to get higher.

Also, if you've ever been to a PGA event, you'll realize that what we see a lot of the time as "too high" isn't really that.

I've played dynamic gold, KBS Tour, and some lighter weight shafts, and to me the clubhead has a much bigger effect on the launch than the shaft does. The shaft is going to be more fine tuning than anything. I'd see if you can get your angle of attack/effective loft and face angles measured, as well as your launch angle.

Thanks guys... good stuff to think about.

Before I go back to scouring ebay, I should probably meet with my pro again and see if it's an equipment issue, or a swing flaw. If shaft launch is a tweak, then I probably need to work on my swing a little while longer first, then look for shaft optimization.

Back