Any former or current track and field athletes?

High jump and 400 hurdles. I hated the running events, wasn't bad at high jump.

100,200,400, and long jump
In high school only, made states junior and senior year, didn't place.

Ran track for a couple reasons:
To keep in shape for football and baseball, and to meet girls!
Did you meet any?

In High School, I did 1600 and 3200 primarily though I ran some relays if we fielded a second team and occasionally ran the 800. We had a fairly decent track team -- finishing in the top 3 or so in the state every year I was there. The training was good for a High School program as one of our coaches had run in the Olympics and was training to get back. The local college program also trained with us from time to time.

I ran Cross Country as well. I enjoyed that more because I kind of liked the scenery (and not just the course) and it was less apt to be cold. Track season started in the winter and I was pretty ridiculously cold at a few meets.

I wasn't really all that good at either. I could have never run at a big program at the collegiate level.

I think the hardest event I ran was the 800. At my level of speed (or lack thereof), I basically had to be able to sustain a dead sprint for 2 entire laps. And by dead sprint, I mean the type of speed I ran the 100 in. That race would completely zap me.

One of my friends was a National Champion in college. He's now kicking major behind at Ironmans (including Hawaii). I only mention this because the different in talent level and training is absolutely staggering. People think you just "get out there and run." That's just not the case at the elite level.
Similar to your 800m story... Coming off an injury my coach made me run a 600 bc jumping was too intense for my hamstring after the rehab. Well... The last time I ran a FOUR HUNDRED was 5 years prior. This was Indoor btw.
To sum up how my last lap was, I ran the 400 split equal to the guy that won the meet BUT I came in third to last in the meet. I was seeing polka-dots after the race.

I gave up on track in 8th grade. I'd rather run and chase something (soccer ball, frisbee, girls) or I'm with Smallville (see above).

High jump in high school I cleared 6'.

Similar to your 800m story... Coming off an injury my coach made me run a 600 bc jumping was too intense for my hamstring after the rehab. Well... The last time I ran a FOUR HUNDRED was 5 years prior. This was Indoor btw.
To sum up how my last lap was, I ran the 400 split equal to the guy that won the meet BUT I came in third to last in the meet. I was seeing polka-dots after the race.

Sounds pathetic, but I passed out one time running the mile indoors. It was the fastest I ever ran it indoors, but I really don't remember the last lap or so, or how I ended up on the bleachers. I ran that as flat out as I could possibly run it given all the turning.

Sounds pathetic, but I passed out one time running the mile indoors. It was the fastest I ever ran it indoors, but I really don't remember the last lap or so, or how I ended up on the bleachers. I ran that as flat out as I could possibly run it given all the turning.

Try running a 5k indoors on a 200m track. Boring!

Long jump and triple jump in HS.

Did my first road race when I was 5. Long jump, 100, 800 and 1500 until middle school, then cross country with the high school in the fall and middle school track in the spring for mile. Cross country then mile and two mile once in high school. Then my knees blew up. Turns out the worst thing I could have done with my misshapen knee caps was run. When I was 18 and a doctor finally did an x ray from a weird angle to see what was wrong, I was told I had the knees of a 70 year old.

I set the neighborhood record for sprint time to the ice cream truck.

I set the neighborhood record for sprint time to the ice cream truck.
Icecream man!!!! I'll take a toasted almond bar, a bomb pop......

Icecream man!!!! I'll take a toasted almond bar, a bomb pop......

Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake. And some poppers to throw at my little brother.

I never was in t&f. But, my dad was our h.s.'s head coach for 20+ years. He knew golf was what was going to get me into college and never pushed me to run. Plus, both are spring sports. But, because he was a coach, I was interested in it and enjoyed hanging and watching meets.

For those that are still interested in competing, most states have amateur competitions that are by age group. Texas has a pretty organized group that includes local events that feed up to state/national championships. If you can come to terms with not beating your hs/college times, you can still compete at a high level.

I ran the 800 and anchored the 4x800 relay. I also pole vaulted and occasionally ran the 1600 and 3200. At less serious meets, we would also have a 4x400 made up of the pole vaulting team. I qualified for State my senior year in pole vault where the opening height was higher than my personal best. That was a quick 3 and out. I also ran cross country my senior year in high school and the first couple of years of college. We qualified for NAIA team nationals my sophomore year. I ran the race of my life at regionals to help the team make it.

I have run a couple of marathons, but my heart isn't into that anymore. I trained, but trained too hard wanting to be competitive and had some injuries. My knees didn't take too kindly to the training required for that distance.

I was a 4yr letterwinner in high school Ran anything short disatnce and did the jumps and Discus. Discus and LJ were by far my two best events. Still have my discus shoes and 2 discs, have thought about doing Masters events.

Catching up here. I ran the anchor for my HS 4X200 Relay team and 100M hurdle. (the hurdles took some time to get my timing)

I was a 4yr letterwinner in high school Ran anything short disatnce and did the jumps and Discus. Discus and LJ were by far my two best events. Still have my discus shoes and 2 discs, have thought about doing Masters events.

What was your long jump distance?

Any former or current track and field athletes?

Best was 21-2

Wow that's not bad at all! My longest was 21-10 but I averaged about 20-5.

I was too short but could jump. Now I am also too fat

Back