Practice rounds go bye bye?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was reading an article about the tour and possibly not continuing public access to practice rounds due to costs incurred and not enough revenue lol. With the game in a decline (as they say) is limiting access to the greatest players in the world the smartest thing to do? Kids go to see their heroes and get a flag signed, some just go to see how they do it, and others are just true fans of the game.

I'm not so sure this is a brilliant move. I think they could take the money from the prize pool to pay the costs, it's like 27K and I don't think the winner would be too upset about a few thousand dollars less. It just seems like it's continuing the separation of the game and I think the us vs them mentality will cause long term issues.

Here's the article:

"[h=1]If economics prevail, practice rounds could be a thing of the past for spectators[/h]Monday, February 10, 2014 Comments

By Geoff Shackelford
A few observant fans noticed something funny about this week's Northern Trust Open at Riviera: Tuesday's practice round is closed to the public. Not even those with week-long badges can come out to watch the PGA Tour's finest prepare for Los Angeles' annual tour stop. The tournament's official dates start with Wednesday's pro-am.
After inquiring with the PGA Tour, I learned several events (including the Farmers Insurance Open and WGC-Cadillac at Doral) no longer allow Tuesday access to the grounds. Several others still do sell tickets for Tuesday practice, including the upcoming Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens and the WGC Match Play in Tucson, where Monday access is even possible.
blog-shackelford-practice-rounds-480.jpg
The reasons, according to PGA Tour Executive VP Ty Votaw, are financial. Citing "cost-benefit analysis" work done by the tour, Votaw said the expense of busing fans to the course "exceeds the revenue they produce," ultimately meaning "fewer dollars for charity." Votaw also cited the reprieve this gives to volunteers, requiring one less day they have to work.
The decision to end practice round access to events is a mistake.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana]Related: More from Geoff Shackelford[/FONT]
Yes, operating shuttle buses is expensive, but Tuesdays are often the days that dreamers and diehards come out to study players preparing for the tournament. For most fans, practice rounds are dull affairs, but if you know what you are looking for they can also be the most rewarding days to learn about the game or see a player you like.
When I was an aspiring player in college, Tuesday was my favorite day to go to Riviera. I can remember lugging my enormous video camera out and shooting Jodie Mudd's beautiful swing, only to have the cantankerous former Players Champion stop and demand to know why I was recording his swing. When I replied matter-of-factly that I liked his swing, he demurred and even asked if he could look at his move. "

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...ds-could-be-a-thing-of-the.html#ixzz2v2WMvrCe

I don't think it is a good idea to limit the publics access to watch the pro's at all. I'm curious what the cost is of running a entrance to watch it anyways. Any numbers available do you know?

How many people will lose out on not seeng the players? Are we talking 10s of 1000s or a much smaller number? If the payout is greater then the take in then I can see why. But I agree, there is money there if they just take away from the purse.

The practice rounds and the range days are my favorite times of the events. I can't usually afford weekend tickets.

I don't think it is a good idea to limit the publics access to watch the pro's at all. I'm curious what the cost is of running a entrance to watch it anyways. Any numbers available do you know?

I think in golfweek they said the 3 day cost of practice rounds was 27k and the return was just not there. I know charities get some money and I certainly would never suggest taking away from giving to good causes (especially anything to do with kids or cancer) but for cripes sake, take the difference out of the purse.

Personally I enjoy practice rounds, I like your idea of taking the expense money from the winners purse, it is a comparative drop in the bucket to the good will it will provide the PGA.

They do this at the Tour Championship. The first practice round day is closed to the public.

As a fan, I think this is a very bad idea. The cost does not sound like a material amount. The volunteers are volunteering for a reason. They want to be out there near the players. I bet the players think it's a great idea.

The practice rounds are definitely a highlight for many. The players are more relaxed and fun to watch. And the fans can get just a bit closer, as far as autographs and such. What is the big issue with the tour holding back a small piece of the purse to offset any lost revenue. These tournaments make plenty of money.

That would be a bummer if they did this. I can see them being concerned, but there are better options as others have pointed out.

All this over $27K? I mean, really?! If you spread that cost out across the event sponsorships or absorbed it into TV contracts it wouldn't even be noticed. Disconnecting fans from the pros is a bad idea, especially when the PGA is fighting to gain relevance with younger consumers.

Tappin' from my Samsung Note 3

This. It seems short sighted, and not conducive to gaining a share of eyeballs that have many things to do and watch. Getting up close to those players without huge crowds is important.

THP #theking #imwithchad

Definitely agree, I think it's a huge mistake for them to do this. Need to grow the game and you don't do that by restricting your product (the players) visibility to your consumer. Also how do they think they got to 2 billion in charitable donations? Fans spending money and coming to watch - practice rounds are where the players actually interact more with the fans anyway.

This would be a lousy idea. The food and beer is just as expensive on the practice days as on the competition days but the lines are a lot shorter. :)

Also, the non-competition rounds are OK for spectators with cameras and I've taken a bunch of great pictures that way.

At the Travelers Championship, the Tuesday practice round is open as a "family day" where there are demo clubs, free mini-lessons with instructors from local courses, a place for kids to try golf activities, etc. It's a lot of fun. If they didn't have this then I'd be less likely to attend, or at least less likely to purchase a full-week pass.

$2B in revenues a few years back.

Its not like the $27K average loss per week will cripple them

Especially since they are a "non-profit" lol

Last edited:
Like most everything else - it's all about greed. That, and I'd bet more than a few more influential pro's are quite happy to not have to play practice rounds while dealing with the public. Especially now in the days of twitter, instagram, phone video recorders, etc where any small digression a player may make on the course ( cussing, etc ) becomes instant news. I just picture Don Johnson in Tin Cup, with his happy face in front of the camera, but off camera not so much.

I was thinking about that too, guys like Tiger that aren't really good at the crowd thing and signing autographs probably relish in the idea of no fans leading up to the tournament. This is a slippery slope if you ask me, I'll probably watch less golf if they decide to do this, I certainly won't go to any more tournaments.

I think its dumb with that said I've never been to a tournament or practice round. I view the practice rounds as a great way for people to get up close to the pros and some people's schedule doesn't allow them to be off for the tourney or family obligations keep them at bay.

Take the cash out of the appearance fees some of the players get and out of the prize money.

I think the PGA is B-Sing on this one, first of all most of the people that work the tornements are volenteers and actually have to pay for their clothes for the days they work. I wouldn't be surprized if this had more to do with some of the pros saying they would like a day with no distractions to practice. $27K in the terms of a sporting event is almost petty cash. Something doesn't add up.

Agree with all, money is just a excuse for the real reason not to allow fans on practice days. I thought we needed to encourage golf in the US, this is not a good move.

There has to be more to it than what this article is saying. Because, if this article is correct and it's all over $27K, then they are idiots. Like others have said, if you want to grow the game of golf in a demographic that it's trying to reach every weekend, kids/young adults...then why would you take away some of the only ways they could afford to see the Pros? If I was one of them, and they said, sorry we don't allow spectators for practice rounds anymore, you'll have to purchase an Event Ticket. Well then, I might be out altogether! What's a practice round ticket cost? $20 $50? That's a round of golf for some. Then the event tickets cost $50? $100?
Give me a break, all for $27K?

I hope not! I love going to the practice rounds. I'd rather go to the practice rounds at the SHO than the weekend rounds.

Jeff Rude had a good writeup a week or two ago in Golfweek. Really bad idea was his take and I agree. Its the only time you can get close to someone and take pics etc. I understand the cost thing, but the PGA Tour is hauling in millions.....

Jeff Rude had a good writeup a week or two ago in Golfweek. Really bad idea was his take and I agree. Its the only time you can get close to someone and take pics etc. I understand the cost thing, but the PGA Tour is hauling in millions.....

Yup that's the article I read, I'm still scratching my head on this one.

Back