My first trip to the chiropractor on Monday

I think given my fusion and some pretty significant issues, it's not going to be as simple as that and this is going to be a bit of a process.

To me this is a sign of a great chiropractor! I wouldn't expect him/her to make adjustment to you unless he knows exactly what he's working with!

The first appointment should be exactly as you got and I would be surprised if you go back and he wants to see you at least twice a week for a month or more.

That's exactly what I would hope he would do given a significant history. Sounds like you are in good hands so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be interested to follow your progress through this. I agree that it sounds like you have found a great chiropractor based on his pre work before doing adjustments. Here is hoping the adjustments help your golf game and more importantly your everyday life and comfort.

To me this is a sign of a great chiropractor! I wouldn't expect him/her to make adjustment to you unless he knows exactly what he's working with!

The first appointment should be exactly as you got and I would be surprised if you go back and he wants to see you at least twice a week for a month or more.

Totally agree here. A chiro no matter how good doesn't know what's going on inside your body until he does tests and gets xrays. He's doing what he should to protect your body and not do harm. Definitely be prepared for frequent visits at first. Your body can only change a little at a time. You probably need work on spine alignment, posture, nerves and how they're routing (where my neck issue came from), any number of things. You'll wake up in the mornings stiff and sore and think its not working. Stick with it and give the treatment time to make an impact. You won't be sorry.

Tappin it up

Went in for my first adjustment this morning and it was nothing like I expected. I was expecting a lot of twisting and some pain, but experienced nothing like that.

He had a little impact machine that he used to do some alignment with my neck. When I saw it, I was thinking that it wasn't going to do anything but I was wrong. He also realigned my middle back so easily. If I wouldn't have been able to hear and feel the disks popping and moving, I would have never thought that he was applying enough pressure to do anything.

Overall it was a good experience and I already have more movement in my neck. My lower back felt better immediately after, but is starting to tighten up a bit now that its been a couple hours.

Another appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

My best friend from high school is a chiropractor. My brother-in-law is a neurosurgeon. It's somewhat amusing seeing them at various points take shots at one another's profession.

Because my friend is a chiropractor, I have been to his office for adjustments before. I enjoy getting adjustments, and they feel like they help. That's where I draw the line. Some chiropractors have seemingly been trained to despise all other forms of medical care. If you get sick, it's because you are out of alignment, etc. I see them discouraging people from getting vaccinations, selling juice supplements and other sorts of nonsense.

I think there is wisdom in some chiropractic care, but some of them take it too far. I would just find someone you are comfortable with, and if they have brochures for multi-level marketing health products in their waiting room, consider looking somewhere else.

My best friend from high school is a chiropractor. My brother-in-law is a neurosurgeon. It's somewhat amusing seeing them at various points take shots at one another's profession.

Because my friend is a chiropractor, I have been to his office for adjustments before. I enjoy getting adjustments, and they feel like they help. That's where I draw the line. Some chiropractors have seemingly been trained to despise all other forms of medical care. If you get sick, it's because you are out of alignment, etc. I see them discouraging people from getting vaccinations, selling juice supplements and other sorts of nonsense.

I think there is wisdom in some chiropractic care, but some of them take it too far. I would just find someone you are comfortable with, and if they have brochures for multi-level marketing health products in their waiting room, consider looking somewhere else.

That sounds pretty crazy to me.

I was telling this guy that as soon as the FDA approves the stem cell treatment for vertebral disks, I am going in to have it done. He actually said that it was an amazing leap towards spinal health and said that it would add years onto people with degenerative disc disease's lives because they could stay active for longer.

Glad to hear you're making progress, back pain is the worst!

Best of luck with your back Bullitt.

I enjoy getting adjustments, and they feel like they help. That's where I draw the line.
I have a friend who is an MD and I was surprised when he said that he went to a chiropractor. I do have a friend I played racquetball with that is a chiropractor but I only went because he had a therapeutic massage portion of his practice and my insurance covered it. Felt like that would work better for my back than adjustments. I may reconsider it though.

Erky said:
Some chiropractors have seemingly been trained to despise all other forms of medical care. If you get sick, it's because you are out of alignment, etc. I see them discouraging people from getting vaccinations, selling juice supplements and other sorts of nonsense.
Snake oil, in all its forms, should be illegal. Just my two cents. Don't get me started on the anti-vaccination movement.

I have been thinking of heading back to the chiropractor after having lots of issues with my right hip lately....glad to hear that you are getting some relief

Went in for my first adjustment this morning and it was nothing like I expected. I was expecting a lot of twisting and some pain, but experienced nothing like that.

He had a little impact machine that he used to do some alignment with my neck. When I saw it, I was thinking that it wasn't going to do anything but I was wrong. He also realigned my middle back so easily. If I wouldn't have been able to hear and feel the disks popping and moving, I would have never thought that he was applying enough pressure to do anything.

Overall it was a good experience and I already have more movement in my neck. My lower back felt better immediately after, but is starting to tighten up a bit now that its been a couple hours.

Especially if your guy does any muscle work don't be surprised if you leave feeling great then have a day or two where you seem to regress. In my experience that is normal.

I don't go to the Chiropractor every month, usually only when I have to. I feel that it helps me when I do. I usually go a handful of times and once he adjusts my back and lines me all up, I'm good again. I really like the guy I go to here in town, he knows what he's doing, and is also a Sports Physical Therapist so he knows more than just popping joints.

I've never been to a chiropractor but this is one of the cons I've heard with them.
They make you feel better temporarily but you need to keep going back, sometimes more than once a week.
It can get pricey. That's why they're called "crack" doctors.
My wife is a PT and she has nothing good to say about them. Her opinion, not mine :)

Glad it seems to be working out for you.

I've been going to chiros off and on since I was little. My mom was a receptionist for a DC when I was in little league playing t-ball and he would give me adjustments after games before I was a teen. After that I didn't go until my late teens/early 20s and had really screwed up my neck through sports and music and cracking my own neck. Lots of neck and upper back pain. Started seeing a DC again and bye-bye pain. I stopped going again for a while due to money and insurance issues but started back again about a year ago. I've been down to once a month for about 6 months now unless I need it.

I see it like this - the spine is the foundation of the body, the main support structure, and if you do something that gets it out of whack then of course you should get it back in whack or it will not feel right. You start compensating and create muscle strain, etc and you get pain. Fix the source first. Some of them might get crazy and start venturing into snake oil salesman on other things, but the rational behind the spinal adjustments is sound to me either way.

My DC is co-owner of a gym right next door and is a big fitness guy, works out, does trainer stuff as well, so he understands the muscles as well and encourages exercises and stretches in addition to the adjustments and only wants to adjust as little as necessary. He's great. Does a lot of work with professional athletes and body builders.

Hope your guy gets you back swinging in time for Hilton Head!

I've never been to a chiropractor but this is one of the cons I've heard with them.
They make you feel better temporarily but you need to keep going back, sometimes more than once a week.
It can get pricey. That's why they're called "crack" doctors.
My wife is a PT and she has nothing good to say about them. Her opinion, not mine :)

Funny, every PT I've ever had to go to needed to see me three times a week for months on end. ;-)

Especially if your guy does any muscle work don't be surprised if you leave feeling great then have a day or two where you seem to regress. In my experience that is normal.

Absolutely right. Totally normal. You'll slowly move to a new normal state as you continue visits. Love the feeling of that immediate relief with an adjustment. Tension and pressure drop, muscles relax, hell even my blood pressure seems to drop a bit.

There is a segment of chiropractors out there that are totally wrapped up in the holistic medicine approach to wellness. I've been to 2 different chiropractors in my life. One was the epitome of this style and the other was on the opposite end of the spectrum.

When I went to my PT appointments to strengthen my Achille's (dang ciprofloxacin antibiotics) I knew that I would always feel sore about 24-48 hours after the appointment. This is natural and is not specific for chiropractors. When you start working out after a long absence, you'll get the same feeling ... it's called "delayed onset muscle soreness".

Funny, every PT I've ever had to go to needed to see me three times a week for months on end. ;-)

I'm not the PT, but good point. Maybe one is just stealing the other's business :)

On the other hand I think the object of PT is to make you improve to the point you don't need it anymore.
Don't think that's how chiropractors work. You'll always be making the appt for your next adjustment.

Well, I actually got my full results from all the tests they ran earlier. Nothing really surprising except for the amount of muscle twisting between L1 and T8 vs. L3 and L5.

L3 through L5, my muscles are actually twisting to the right. They represent by numbers and normal is listed as around 5, and these were 75 and 46. What sucks is that L1 through T8 actually are actually twisting to the left badly. So just a few vertebrae up, I am experiencing 131, 189, 111 and 80. Again, normal is around 5. When you get up to C5-C7, it twists back to the right, although not nearly as badly as the lower back, the numbers were around 30.

I guess that explains why I have had trouble turning my shoulders without my waist moving, I'm pretty much locked up. After 2 adjustments, my neck feels a lot better. I've got a lot more range of motion in my neck already which I noticed the most when I was driving and looking to change lanes. I am seeing a little more movement in my lower back vs. hips already, but that's going to be a work in progress.

Tried to get a good picture of the muscle twist report.

4usesa3a.jpg

You seem to have a very thorough chiropractor. So good to hear your improving. Congratulations and keep it up!! And damn that is some rough twisting going on. Probably lots of compensation going on.

Tappin it up

Well, I actually got my full results from all the tests they ran earlier. Nothing really surprising except for the amount of muscle twisting between L1 and T8 vs. L3 and L5.

L3 through L5, my muscles are actually twisting to the right. They represent by numbers and normal is listed as around 5, and these were 75 and 46. What sucks is that L1 through T8 actually are actually twisting to the left badly. So just a few vertebrae up, I am experiencing 131, 189, 111 and 80. Again, normal is around 5. When you get up to C5-C7, it twists back to the right, although not nearly as badly as the lower back, the numbers were around 30.

I guess that explains why I have had trouble turning my shoulders without my waist moving, I'm pretty much locked up. After 2 adjustments, my neck feels a lot better. I've got a lot more range of motion in my neck already which I noticed the most when I was driving and looking to change lanes. I am seeing a little more movement in my lower back vs. hips already, but that's going to be a work in progress.

Very nice I will be interested to follow the rest of your results as you go through treatment

Back