Any former or current track and field athletes?

NDeCelle

Reaction score
Handicap
Sparked by watching the new balance indoor games... I used to compete in college and a few years past (lj and tj).
I LOVE golf... But every now and then I get the urge to compete in t&f for fun again. Anyone else have this going on?

I ran cross country and track, but it was in the mid 1970's...........

Do all you can for your health.

I ran long distance in high school and was nationally ranked, so would travel quite a but for competitions. I loved running in anything from 3,000 - 10,000. The mile and 1500 were tougher for me, it felt like a sprint the whole time and it was a different strategy. The 10,000 was my favorite, just had more time to wear guys down and figure out the best time to blow by them for total demoralization.

At any rate, I'll occasionally get back in racing shape, but start pushing myself too far trying to get as close as I can to where I used to be, but eventually get injured, usually because I take on a marathon and start thinking I can qualify for Boston. It's been a few years though.

Pole Vaulted through College...now paying for it.

I ran track, high jump and long jump in the early seventies! :alien:

Threw shot put and discus in high school. Every once in a while I think about buying a shot (my arms are too short to do anything at disc) and some shoes and trying to compete in local amateur events.

I ran long distance in high school and was nationally ranked, so would travel quite a but for competitions. I loved running in anything from 3,000 - 10,000. The mile and 1500 were tougher for me, it felt like a sprint the whole time and it was a different strategy. The 10,000 was my favorite, just had more time to wear guys down and figure out the best time to blow by them for total demoralization.

At any rate, I'll occasionally get back in racing shape, but start pushing myself too far trying to get as close as I can to where I used to be, but eventually get injured, usually because I take on a marathon and start thinking I can qualify for Boston. It's been a few years though.
I do the same thing with training. But I've come to realize I have a better shot making the champions tour then improving on my jumping PRs haha. So that's how I justify all the golf I play to my wife... It keeps me motivated lol. (I'm only in my 20s so I have a lot of training to do!)

Pole Vaulted through College...now paying for it.
I'm pretty sure the triple jump didn't help my back out at all either.

Sparked by watching the new balance indoor games... I used to compete in college and a few years past (lj and tj).
I LOVE golf... But every now and then I get the urge to compete in t&f for fun again. Anyone else have this going on?
I ran XC and everything from the 400 m to 5k for indoor and outdoor track in HS and college. In college we moved up from D2 my first year, to D1 for my last three. Left college with a couple or three school records. I have no desire to ever run again.

In high school I did the pole vault before it was banned.
Ran the 1500m, 3000m, 4x800, triple jump, and long jump.

I ran XC and everything from the 400 m to 5k for indoor and outdoor track in HS and college. In college we moved up from D2 my first year, to D1 for my last three. Left college with a couple or three school records. I have no desire to ever run again.
My thoughts exactly...I ran through college...distance XC and Track...my wife wants me to start running again...I like to golf

My thoughts exactly...I ran through college...distance XC and Track...my wife wants me to start running again...I like to golf
Yeah, wife signed us up for a Color Vibe run. Was all like "This is going to be fun." I was like "Uh, no. Not really." Then she wrecks her car and hurts her foot and has to wear a boot for 6 weeks ... leaving me alone to partake in this stupid 5k. Gee, thanks.

Yeah, wife signed us up for a Color Vibe run. Was all like "This is going to be fun." I was like "Uh, no. Not really." Then she wrecks her car and hurts her foot and has to wear a boot for 6 weeks ... leaving me alone to partake in this stupid 5k. Gee, thanks.
My wife refuses to do the "color runs"

She likes to race...she is good too...if I sign up for a race I want to make sure there is no chance she will beat me

I did 100, 200, 400 both relays and all three jumps. The 400 was my best even but I hated doing it! I thought I was going to die after every race. But at the same time there is nothing like the rush of being the last leg of the 4x400 relay when everyone is watching.

100,200,4x100,long jump, triple jump. Those were so much fun :(

I ran the 400m, 400m hurdles and mile

100,200,400, and long jump
In high school only, made states junior and senior year, didn't place.

Ran track for a couple reasons:
To keep in shape for football and baseball, and to meet girls!

All I know is if you see me running, I advise you to start running too. Bad stuff is happening in the direction I am running from and it's likely heading this way. Hopefully I only need to outrun you, because I have a head start on you!

In High School, I did 1600 and 3200 primarily though I ran some relays if we fielded a second team and occasionally ran the 800. We had a fairly decent track team -- finishing in the top 3 or so in the state every year I was there. The training was good for a High School program as one of our coaches had run in the Olympics and was training to get back. The local college program also trained with us from time to time.

I ran Cross Country as well. I enjoyed that more because I kind of liked the scenery (and not just the course) and it was less apt to be cold. Track season started in the winter and I was pretty ridiculously cold at a few meets.

I wasn't really all that good at either. I could have never run at a big program at the collegiate level.

I think the hardest event I ran was the 800. At my level of speed (or lack thereof), I basically had to be able to sustain a dead sprint for 2 entire laps. And by dead sprint, I mean the type of speed I ran the 100 in. That race would completely zap me.

One of my friends was a National Champion in college. He's now kicking major behind at Ironmans (including Hawaii). I only mention this because the different in talent level and training is absolutely staggering. People think you just "get out there and run." That's just not the case at the elite level.

Back