Removing and Installing Grips

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
I'm sure there was a thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm waiting patiently on Lamkin to come out with the Wrap Tech grips, and when they do I need to remove the grips currently on my MT 588's which are Winn Dri-tac Oversize's. So it's actually a three part question.

First: I have access to an air compressor, but I imagine I need to inject some solvent underneath the grip before I try to remove the grip, correct? I'd like to save them if possible, as I know someone who could benefit from them.

Second: I can use masking tape as opposed to double-sided tape, and blow on the new grip and it should work just fine, correct?

Third: What adapter for an air compressor do I use to slide on the grip, and is there a PSI setting I should use?

I use to do my own with the old cut em off method and re tape using solvent etc. Now I pay a dollar per club and let Dick's do it.

This is going to be my first "save the grip" attempt. These grips are essentially new, but way too big for my hands. I know someone who can use them but don't want to pay someone else to do it for me. You retiree's have much more disposable income than us young'uns still trying to raise families. :)

I'm sure there was a thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm waiting patiently on Lamkin to come out with the Wrap Tech grips, and when they do I need to remove the grips currently on my MT 588's which are Winn Dri-tac Oversize's. So it's actually a three part question.

First: I have access to an air compressor, but I imagine I need to inject some solvent underneath the grip before I try to remove the grip, correct? I'd like to save them if possible, as I know someone who could benefit from them.

Second: I can use masking tape as opposed to double-sided tape, and blow on the new grip and it should work just fine, correct?

Third: What adapter for an air compressor do I use to slide on the grip, and is there a PSI setting I should use?

I can only answer as to the second question you have. Masking tape is not the same thickness as double sided grip tape. Not that you can't use masking tape, because you can. Just be aware of the thickness difference.

~Rock

This is going to be my first "save the grip" attempt. These grips are essentially new, but way too big for my hands. I know someone who can use them but don't want to pay someone else to do it for me. You retiree's have much more disposable income than us young'uns still trying to raise families. :)

lol I hear however some of us old retirees are just old without the jet setting funds. :beat-up: Good luck on popping the grips off and the air compressor sounds like a good strategy.

I've heard mixed thoughts on trying to save grips by removing them...especially with an air compressor. Definitely would need a lot of solvent as the pressure could cause the grip to blow apart.

I can only answer as to the second question you have. Masking tape is not the same thickness as double sided grip tape. Not that you can't use masking tape, because you can. Just be aware of the thickness difference.
I do have double sided grip tape from my other installs, I could use it without activating the outside I suppose?

I've heard mixed thoughts on trying to save grips by removing them...especially with an air compressor. Definitely would need a lot of solvent as the pressure could cause the grip to blow apart.
There was a guy I knew who could get any sort of grip off - in a savable fashion - by injecting solvent underneath the grip. I never asked him his technique before he moved away. He didn't even use a compressor, so maybe I just need to grab a high gauge needle and a 5cc syringe from work and experiment.

I've used either of the "cone" style tips pictured.

c6aba68b-30e2-46c7-b062-0524296d9854_300.jpg

As for PSI, the first time I tried I went way too high and bubbled the grip pretty bad, so I'd say start low and gradually increase. I think it can vary based on the grips or the tape used, but I am no expert.

You can use air to remove taped grips but it's not very fun. You are basically forcing enough air under the grid to break the tape seal. You very often run the risk of the grip exploding, so if you were very set on doing it, use a bit of care and be patient. Typically, I wait till about 60 or above PSI and do a lot of short bursts of air while twisting the grip. 8/10 times, a bubble will form. Do NOT continue applying air. Stop, remove the nosel and let the grip deflate if this happens.

Once however you see the bubble, are you really need to do at that point after you clean yourself up from nearly soiling yourself is continue twisting and applying short bursts of air and it'll slide off.

In the scheme of things, it is a lot easier to just buy a new grip than almost have one blow up on you.

You can still use masking tape. You'll have to google the thickness of it as compared to double sided grip tape. Off the top of my head, I think it was 2 pieces of masking tape = 1 piece of double sided grip tape. I could be wrong. Google is your friend on that one.

~Rock

You can use air to remove taped grips but it's not very fun. You are basically forcing enough air under the grid to break the tape seal. You very often run the risk of the grip exploding, so if you were very set on doing it, use a bit of care and be patient. Typically, I wait till about 60 or above PSI and do a lot of short bursts of air while twisting the grip. 8/10 times, a bubble will form. Do NOT continue applying air. Stop, remove the nosel and let the grip deflate if this happens.

Once however you see the bubble, are you really need to do at that point after you clean yourself up from nearly soiling yourself is continue twisting and applying short bursts of air and it'll slide off.

In the scheme of things, it is a lot easier to just buy a new grip than almost have one blow up on you.
Mike brings up a great point, and I've heard to use a paper towel roll over the grip as a bit of protection. Don't know how effective it is, just what I've read.

In the picture above I use a cone shape adapter (almost like the black one just smaller and more to a point) and it works like a charm. Now what I do to save my grips is I took a old wire hanger and modify it a bit to slide underneath the grip so it doesn't stretches it out and I inject some grip solvent down the grip. Once I get a bit of solvent down into the grip I then blow it off and it comes off super easy.

A spare piece of pvc pipe will pretty well protect you from 'grip explosions.' (Or at least that's what I've read in the past). If you don't have one, I'm sure the local hardware store would cut you a 15" piece for a few dollars.

~Rock

I know most don't have a pool, but I found out quite by accident that the inside diameter of a pole off a pool skimmer is perfect for putting over grips and blowing them off.

I just went out and measured with a caliper and the ID is 1.16 inches.

What I like is it's tight enough that as soon as it starts to inflate, the pole (which I've cut off to grip length) grabs the grip and I can actually keep applying air pressure and twist the "sleeve" at the same time. Eventually, the air goes all the way to the bottom and you'll hear a pop and you're all done. You can take the sleeve back off and just apply a little air and they'll slide right off.

I guess some PVC of the same ID would work.

ninja'd by McRock

I have never paid attention to PSI. I just pay attention to how the grip is reacting to the air pressure and manually adjust.

I use the needle attachment that is commonly used to inflate basketballs, etc.

I've never had it happen but plenty of people have warned about exploding grips. The PVC pipe is a smart way to go.

I have never used solvent. The air pressure loosens the grips. Sometimes you have to turn the grips a little bit to break the seal. From there they slide right off.

Sometimes you will get a 'hot spot' where the grip starts to explode. Be careful! You can wrap that section with duct tape and continue on.

I install all my grips with air, but always cut the current grips off. It's not worth me saving a few grips at the expense of "see bubble, run." There are all kinds of tools you can buy to inject solvent down into the grip, as well as a butter knife looking tool to work/pry the current grip off once said solvent is down under it.

As for your second question, I was told, and now use, painters tape under my blown-on grips. I honestly have no idea if there is a difference between painters and masking, but maybe it's a little thicker? DO NOT use double-sided tape with the sticky exposed. The grip you are blowing on will get stuck immediately, bubble, and then...you know.

As for question three. I use a Pure Grip gun. Is it worth the money? Maybe. I have no complaints at all and it makes it really easy.

Mike brings up a great point, and I've heard to use a paper towel roll over the grip as a bit of protection. Don't know how effective it is, just what I've read.

I mean, that sorta helps but at the same time not really. Paper towel roll is weak cardboard. When a grip pops, it's got some speed behind it. All that cardboard is gonna do is redirect it so it's even more unpredictable. You're better off putting a piece of hard plastic or PVC over it but even then, you can't see the bubble forming if one forms. You could be just blasting away and then POP. I guess the biggest thing you really need is patience and a calm hand.

I mean, that sorta helps but at the same time not really. Paper towel roll is weak cardboard. When a grip pops, it's got some speed behind it. All that cardboard is gonna do is redirect it so it's even more unpredictable. You're better off putting a piece of hard plastic or PVC over it but even then, you can't see the bubble forming if one forms. You could be just blasting away and then POP. I guess the biggest thing you really need is patience and a calm hand.
Not sure I have either. Maybe I'll go the syringe and solvent route to attempt to get the old new grips off this time. Though to be honest, it almost sounds like using a compressor to get a grip off is a rite of passage. So note to self: wear one of kiddo's diapers before proceeding.

I have been using the blown on with painters tape method for the past couple years.

The only thing I have really noticed, is that from time to time I have one grip that slips the slightest bit when swinging. I have since added another wrap, hoping that it will fix it up, just haven't had a chance to test it on the course yet.

I have removed hundreds of grips using solvent and a removal tool. Very easy to do. Never used air to install or remove, and doubt I ever do.

Recently purchased a removal tool and use that to lossen thr bottom half of the grip prior to blowing it off. Put some solvent in the grip butt hole, slide a piece of 1" PVC pipe over the grip and blow at half power (about 60 PSI). Wait to hear the load pop of air coming out the bottom then remove the pipe and slide it off. Rubber grips are easier than grips with cord IMO.

Not sure I have either. Maybe I'll go the syringe and solvent route to attempt to get the old new grips off this time. Though to be honest, it almost sounds like using a compressor to get a grip off is a rite of passage. So note to self: wear one of kiddo's diapers before proceeding.
And safety goggles. I haven't blown up a grip yet, but I was pretty close with a Golf Pride NDMC...thankfully that rubber is ​stretchy.

And safety goggles. I haven't blown up a grip yet, but I was pretty close with a Golf Pride NDMC...thankfully that rubber is ​stretchy.

Bolded because it's important. Wear some sort of protective lens. You'll shoot your eye out with that thing if you're not careful.

I recently put new grips on my clubs and came across this while researching. I ended up cutting my old grips, but this seems to be a cheap and easy way of saving the old grips.
http://youtu.be/TQ_Hnz93EyM

You can still use masking tape. You'll have to google the thickness of it as compared to double sided grip tape. Off the top of my head, I think it was 2 pieces of masking tape = 1 piece of double sided grip tape. I could be wrong. Google is your friend on that one.

~Rock

I measured a piece of the blue painters tape with calipers and it came out at 0.004". So, each wrap of blue tape adds 0.008" to the thickness. Three wraps would get one from standard to just over midsize if my ciphering is correct.

Back