Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

OK - had a 7:40 AM tee time so I got there a little before 7 to hit some balls. Nice grass range with some good targets. Ask for the balls (in bags) when you check in as they aren't just sitting on the range. I found out later there is another, member only, range on the other side from the guys I got paired with.

Nice course, somewhat linksy style with a lot of areas with fescue. Not quite links like as there are more trees so it is somewhat a combo course. Like many courses local knowledge/experience is pretty important - it's not a point and shoot place. A lot of holes, finding the right line is a bit tricky and it was a help to be playing with some members who know the course. The fellow in my cart was a local sportcaster (Ryan Baker) and we had a great time.

Beyond the lines off the tees, the greens were very speedy and reading putts difficult. On #1, one of the fellows emphasized staying below the pin and I have to say that it was definitely important. That said, the greens were in pretty good shape and the balls rolled true - good enough that I rolled in a couple of 30-40' putts. Off the tee, there is a bit of inconsistency with how the ball runs out. Some holes seemed drier and the ball would run while others were watered more and there was less run out. Once you realized that, you could kind of tell when looking at a hole how it would play and tee-off accordingly.

Well bunkered but not overly so, sand was good in the couple of bunkers I got it and I felt the traps were well kept.

Finally, carts had GPS to the pin and it matched with my rangefinder. For me, open courses like these that I am playing for the first time are hard to gauge distances. Even off the tee it was a little hard to gauge so pay attention the the distances if you play here.

On course carts and an on-course beverage/food hut where 7 & 15 come together. Good selection and nice hard boiled egg makes for a good snack in the AM.

Not cheap ($200+ with cart) but a nice experience - would enjoy playing there again - particularly now that I have a better idea of the layout.

Super down to earth guy who seems appreciative of all his success to be honest. Don't know about our squad. Seems like Mayfield is gonna get nod and Perine and Mixon are ridiculously talented in the backfield. We're not getting a lot of love since Baylor & TCUs rise (deservedly) . All I know is when OU is overlooked they kill everyone and when they are put on a pedestal we stink. I'd say we'll be just fine this year. How good are Irish? All I know is that Zaire kid looked awesome vs LsU. They are 9.5 favorites over Texas. How's their defense? And my buddy is nuts. He's got a tee time at cog hill #2 ravine I think it's called and then they got bus that leaves Chicago for South Bend at 130. $40 catered all liquor and food seems like way to go though. Friday night he's at wrigley after playing 9 holes somewhere. I hate short trips to places I love. When I come to Chicago I want a minimum of a week.
Great game! What'd your buddy think of the experience? Nd treats visitors well.

Hey y'all-

I'm going to Palmira (Saint John, IN) on Thursday at 2:30. Not sure if there are any more spots (no online booking available unless I fail at their website), but anybody is welcome to join me if there are spots remaining. Help me get some central time zone prep for #TheGauntlet!

Anyone ever played Turnberry? got invited to an outing in a couple weeks

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Chicagoans,
So excited to be headed there next week for the HUGE THP Event, #TheGauntlet and then again just a few weeks later with another THP Event called #YourProto. Both involve equipment and if you get a chance, jump into the Live Event Threads and follow along. Tons of fun.

I'm in the Guantlet, JB. The entire thread is going to follow my every club drop, extended periods of silence as I mentally assault myself and bad jokes :act-up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the Guantlet, JB. The entire thread is going to follow my every club drop, extended periods of silence as I mentally assault myself and bad jokes :act-up:

I'll be following for sure.... I hope that wrist holds up for you!!

I'm in the Guantlet, JB. The entire thread is going to follow my every club TWIRL, extended periods of silence as I mentally assault myself (For premature club Twirls) and bad jokes :act-up:

Fixed it for you! my pleasure...

I'm predicting prodigious use of the word "useful" in the gauntlet thread.

Good luck mystery meaty in your county championship Sunday.

Nice little 71 to qualify for your championship flight buddy

Hey just popping in, Hoping you guys are enjoying the great weather!

Anyone going to the BMW this weekend? I'll be there Saturday.

Is anyone in the area up for playing Ravines Thursday afternoon? We have times at 2:34 and 2:42 and six guys from the #Staffproto event playing. If you can make it out we would love to round out the foursomes!

Here's the extra rounds thread.

Is anyone in the area up for playing Ravines Thursday afternoon? We have times at 2:34 and 2:42 and six guys from the #Staffproto event playing. If you can make it out we would love to round out the foursomes!

Ugh! I wish I could make that. Enjoy the course.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thew my name in there.

Pain! :act-up:

Have an MRI on Monday. Probably find out more next week.

Had my MRI yesterday and will find out more next Tuesday when I see the doc. In the meantime, I've got the KT Tape and painkillers in full effect. Shot 88 at Naperbrook Saturday just taking it easy. Hit balls on Monday, with some soreness the last two days. But won't hit anything again until, maybe tomorrow, if at all.

Still looking for a couple to join us at Cog Hill Ravines on Thursday around 2:30!

Still looking for a couple to join us at Cog Hill Ravines on Thursday around 2:30!

as in tomorrow the 8th? I thought it was last week lol. My schedule opened up and I can take one of those spots if you're still looking for people.

as in tomorrow the 8th? I thought it was last week lol. My schedule opened up and I can take one of those spots if you're still looking for people.

You are officially on the updated list. Looking forward to it!

Is there going to be a funeral for this thread? I didn't catch the obit in the tribune?

Getting out for a round on this beautiful day!

db1a87641e72dab7ac6e1c7adf48eacf.jpg

Back