Titleist VG3 Type-D Irons

bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello all - I just wanted to share some photos of the new 2016 Titleist VG3 Type-D irons (5-PW) I just got fitted for. These are the JDM version of the AP1s...they are a little larger & forged. I've only hit them during my fitting but they felt very good. These replaced my Srixon 545s. They feel just as good or better plus I gained 10 mph ball speed with my 6 iron. The optimal shafts for me were Nippon Zelos 7 stiff (soft stepped twice). With the 6 iron I gained 17 yards carry plus a higher ball flight.

I am moving next week from Virginia to Kentucky so I probably won't be able to take them on a course for a month or so.

Here are some photos.

20160331_155316_zpsu6m6oejj.jpg

20160331_155418_zpsumyuyvqj.jpg

7 Iron

20160331_155533_zpso7ntnbbm.jpg

20160331_155444_zpsp7zibtdt.jpg

20160331_155508_zpspfudgjnn.jpg

VG3 (on left) vs AP1......

20160311_183637_zps0rhcl3nk.jpg

20160311_183759_zpsiy8yw8iq.jpg

20160311_183548_zpstwrzr7g5.jpg

Good looking sticks!

Very interesting look for Titleist, meaning a bit beefier than what you'd usually see from them. Sounds like you got some good results with them...That's always a plus.

Those are a little chunky, but i like the look of them better than the AP1's and forged to boot! Nice score!

Those are some insane gains. Enjoy the combo sounds like they are perfect for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks like a thicker sole. I still like ap2 more.

Wow those might be the first titles club i like the looks of! Great to hear they are working for you.

Interesting, I will definitely keep my eye on these. Wonder if Titleist will market them as a GI or SGI iron....

They look like old big Bertha's. Not that it's a bad thing.

Those look great. Hope you play well with them in Kentucky!

10 extra mph of ball speed with a 6i seems huge. Good for you.

looks like a thicker sole. I still like ap2 more.

The do have a thicker sole, but I was looking for more forgiveness while still having the soft feel/sound.

Very nice looking and great gains! I hope they deliver for you on the course!

I think they've got a nice look to them for the size of the cavity. It always intrigues me when a company sends all that weight to the perimeter and away from the sweet spot, but I have a feeling they know what they are doing.

Enjoy them! Keep us updated on how they play.

Wow those might be the first titles club i like the looks of! Great to hear they are working for you.
Thats crazy talk lol the MB have always been one of the better looking clubs on the market

Those look awesome. Please post your thoughts once you get them out on the course.

The back of the irons somewhat resemble the Cobra AMP Cell irons, don't you think. These are quite a departure from the Titleist blade style offerings.

Nice looking set of irons!

Curious, how did they compare price wise with the AP1's?

That is a great price. Can't wait to hear how they play

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great sticks man! Saw these on a titleist JPN website

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Dude - those are gorgeous. I love unique bags and sticks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the looks of theses, enjoy the new sticks and the extra distance.

Very interesting set and probably the most forgiving iron set I've seen from Titleist. Good luck with the move and let us know how they play once you're able to get out

Back