The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I have a question for my teammates. Outside of the usual "Im a good ball striker and my short game is great, but I cant get off the tee" stuff, what do you bring to a partnership on the course? Tell me about your abilities around the course. Are you good at reading greens? Are you a smart and safe player or more of a go for it all player? Are you up and down emotionally or more even keeled? Do you prefer to sit in silence or chat about random topics?

Tell me about you on the course.

I prefer to keep things light and conversation going. 5 hours of silence would drive me crazy. I want music, I want drinks, and I want conversation if at all possible. If you want to stew in silence, you probably wouldn't like riding with me.

I try to bring encouragement to the team, and I know enough about course management to talk through options even if I don't always follow that myself. I'm not above breaking into song while riding in the cart if the mood strikes, just ask AdamW238. I'm not very good at reading greens, so its a good thing we have fore caddies to help.

I think it's going to be an interesting dynamic. I know I have met roughly half the team, maybe a little more than that. Others there have been zero conversations with outside of ones done on the forum. I get a feeling there may be some uneasiness or awkwardness when that time comes. But it's going to be one hell of a weekend and those feelings should fade away rather quickly.

Wasn't that by design, that the forum would be the place where all discussions would take place to do away with the backroom stuff?

I have a question for my teammates. Outside of the usual "Im a good ball striker and my short game is great, but I cant get off the tee" stuff, what do you bring to a partnership on the course? Tell me about your abilities around the course. Are you good at reading greens? Are you a smart and safe player or more of a go for it all player? Are you up and down emotionally or more even keeled? Do you prefer to sit in silence or chat about random topics?

I have a pretty positive outlook on golf so I would say I have the ability to not get too down whenever a bad situation pops up. To me once a hole is over it's over. Time to move on to the next birdie opportunity.

As far as my abilities, decent length and a good short game help me a lot. If I can get a hot putter going I can play below my handicap.

I would like to think I'm one of the better green readers I know. From the time I was 12 when I started to caddy I've always been good at it. JRod actually had me lining him up to his putts at the Gauntlet.

I think one of my weaknesses I've been fighting is my go for it all attitude. We had a talk on the course in Pittsburgh about scoring and knowing when and when not to take the chances and it has honestly lead to better scoring for me. In true Italian form, I wear my emotions on my sleeve when it comes to my own game. It's very easy for me to curse myself after a bad shot, but there's no way in hell I would be negative towards a playing partner or opponent. I hold myself to a high standard and have no problem dealing with the ups and down of a round of golf.

As far as random topics, bring it on! There's a time for silence. It's called church. Golf, to me, is the greatest game there is and every time I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to tee it up I want to have the best time possible. Siting in silence would seem a bit awkward for me

I enjoy conversation while on the course. And I will talk about anything, I can't handle the silence. Golf is fun so I like to have fun while playing. Recently started playing while listening to music and I absolutely love that. If I have 5o sit in silence I tend to start over thinking the game and my swing

I am pretty even keeled on the golf course. I do my best to not let bad shots get the best of me. Try to focus on the next shot. I can get frustrated from time to time but I try to bottle it up so I don't bring my playing partners moods down. Again golf is fun so I try to have fun. Something I was told from the first time I stepped foot on a golf course, a bad day of golf is better than a good day of work, and I try to keep that perspective throughout the round.

I am typically a smart player, I have no issue with taking my medicine but I do look for the opportunities to be aggressive. If I have to punch out of the trees I will try and punch out through the opening that allows me to advance the ball the furthest instead of going sideways which is sometimes the safer play. For me it is all about percentages and knowing my game and what I can do with my game.

What do I bring to the course? I think I read greens and putt pretty well. I am also pretty easy to get along with and very willing to bounce ideas and shots off of my playing partners and see how they feel about certain shots or approaches. I generally play safer but if we are playing certain formats that can change strategy really quick if we already have a great shot in play or on a green, why not try and bomb it or attack a flag. I think the first night meeting everyone will be huge just chatting and getting the ice broken. Most people in my life will probably tell you, that if anything, I can talk too much, but not knowing others comfort zones I usually try not to overwhelm strangers.

Can I be up and down emotionally? I think I can be at times but it does not mean I have quit or that I'm not having fun, it's because I'm a competitor and have expectations of myself. I will never give up and hope it doesn't affect my playing partner. The most recent stranger/teammate in DDec, when we played I definitely had some up and downs, maybe I'm over analyzing but Dean could probably tell me if I was not too fun to ride along with. I would love to know. Maybe I'm more up and down in my own head.

Sitting in silence? No, and if I know you don't like silence as well, then we are in for a good day. Music and conversation and oh yeah before you know the round is over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOVE the thoughts and conversation in here today!

Getting to know a little bit more about the participants!
Exiting times here!

If I may, when you get there and your partner has been announced, talk to him about how you guys want to interact while on the course. Some guys need a pat on the back after a bad shot, some guys just want to be left the hell alone. What does your partner want/need in that situation? How are your wants/needs different or similar to his?

Are you guys attacking holes from tee to green? Or green to tee? What's the distance your partner wants to hit into the green from?
Time will be short to truly gather and understand what makes your partner tick! Help him along.

Savor every moment to the fullest, take in the sights, sound, and treatment from a 360* viewpoint.

There are thousands following you not only on this forum, but also Twitter, Facebook, and other Social Media outlets, let's put our best foot forward!

Exiting times here!

If I may, when you get there and your partner has been announced, talk to him about how you guys want to interact while on the course. Some guys need a pat on the back after a bad shot, some guys just want to be left the hell alone. What does your partner want/need in that situation? How are your wants/needs different or similar to his?

Are you guys attacking holes from tee to green? Or green to tee? What's the distance your partner wants to hit into the green from?
Time will be short to truly father and understand what makes your partner tick! Help him along.

Savor every moment to the fullest, take in the sights, sound, and treatment from a 360* viewpoint.

There are thousands following you not only on this forum, but also Twitter, Facebook, and other Social Media outlets, let's put our best foot forward!
I love your passion for this event

Exiting times here!

Time will be short to truly gather and understand what makes your partner tick! Help him along.

Very well said, a lot of that was on my mind but you said it better!

Great question Josh:

I am not the best green reader. I feel like it is something I have tried to work on in the past, but struggle a bit with. I will probably rely on the Caddies quite a bit at the Hideaway for green advice.

I tend to be a pretty safe player. I don't like the hero shot, and I am pretty good at just taking my medicine.

I like to think I am even-keeled on the course. I tend not to get frustrated, but I am very competitive.

Anyone who has met me/played with me knows that I like to chat. I will chat with anyone, about anything, at anytime.. In fact, I may chat a little too much.

Pretty much me in a nut shell

Great question Josh:

I am not the best green reader. I feel like it is something I have tried to work on in the past, but struggle a bit with. I will probably rely on the Caddies quite a bit at the Hideaway for green advice.

I tend to be a pretty safe player. I don't like the hero shot, and I am pretty good at just taking my medicine.

I like to think I am even-keeled on the course. I tend not to get frustrated, but I am very competitive.

Anyone who has met me/played with me knows that I like to chat. I will chat with anyone, about anything, at anytime.. In fact, I may chat a little too much.

Lies!!

I have a question for those participating.

How will you over come the jitters of playing new clubs? I know you'll have time to pound balls on the range, but what is your plan when you hit an errant shot you know you can hit, or push that putt that you make 99.999% of the time.

How will you over come the jitters of playing new clubs? I know you'll have time to pound balls on the range, but what is your plan when you hit an errant shot you know you can hit, or push that putt that you make 99.999% of the time.

At the end of the day, it is golf. IF I hit a bad shot, or miss a putt, it isn't the new clubs, it is me. I am going to be fit by the best in the business, and they are going to recommend lethal weapons for my game. I will react the same way as if I hit it with my current gamers. I am never one to blame the equipment.

Can I answer that having attended the event?

Jitters (at least for me) was not an issue when I got the new clubs. I was looking at them, then when the Range attendant (yes they had those) set up my bag for me at a practice station, I just swung away.
Now, I am not the best golfer, so I was probably a little less concerned about yardage and such, but more with contact and then taking account of the yardage well struck balls traveled.

Honestly, I'm not scared of anything negative from the new clubs because they will be fit to my swing. I'm actually excited to play the new clubs because they are so dang good. The CF16 irons are going to do great things for me, for sure.

The only tiny concern is the putter because that is such a feel club, but I've been working with a few Odyssey options to get a feel for what works and will pick the best option and it will be a non-issue.

Obviously not participating this year but as a past participant I can tell you that there were no jitters playing with new clubs. If anything knowing that they were fit for me by the best in the biz the new clubs inspired confidence.

Obviously not participating this year but as a past participant I can tell you that there were no jitters playing with new clubs. If anything knowing that they were fit for me by the best in the biz the new clubs inspired confidence.

You read my mind. I think it may be an adjustment if I go with the CF as far as top line profile goes but that's an adjustment I'm more than willing to make. The one thing I'm most curious about is the distance changes if I see any

I don't really think any sort of jitters will have anything to do with the clubs for me. I will be in the smitten honeymoon stage with those diabolical weapons that I won't be able to blame a thing on them, and in reality it could never be the clubs anyway, it's all on me. I cannot wait to stand over the ball with each and every club and swing my swing!

I definitely do not prefer sitting in silence during a round. I enjoy conversation with my partner, music, or even some friendly smack talk or banter if we're betting on something, or playing best ball or some other competitive format. Key word here is friendly. I'm out there golfing to have fun. I know I'm not a pro, so I expect bad shots or holes. I really don't get down on myself after a bad hole, and never get down on a partner after bad shots. If anything, I'm there to help pick them up. I don't mind talking strategy on holes, but I'm not the guy that will give swing tips out (unless you ask). Like PhillyV, I've also caddied more rounds than I can count as a kid, so I'm pretty good at reading greens, but with the caddies at The Hideaway not sure how much my partner will need me to help read greens. I also try to be a smart and safe player, a lesson I've learned the hard ways over the years. I'll still hit bad shots, but that's just because I hit a bad shot, not because I went for the hero ball. But, if we're in some team format, and one of us is safe, I have no problem with the other one going for it. Also, if my partner is more of the go for it all player, I'm fine with that too. I'm still able to play my game. The only thing that really makes effects me negatively during a round is if one of the people I'm playing with is being a richard, which is very seldom. I'm talking club tossing, cussing, being inconsiderate, etc. It's ok if they're getting down on themself, I'll try to bring them back up. Just gets bad when it really starts affecting the whole group.

I'm actually pretty pumped to use new clubs. This will be the best fitting I've ever had, by some of the best in the business, so that inspires confidence. I just want to make sure I am interacting with my fitter as much as I can, and sharing as much as I can, to help him fit me into the right combination of clubs, shafts, etc. That, and I may have to adjust to some distance gains in the irons, but I'm a-ok with that. I've used a different putter the last 2 rounds I've played, and am practicing putting with different styles, and I haven't seen any negative effects. Sometimes, a putter change actually is a good thing for me. Brings out that "honeymoon" phase.

Me a bad shot will be the result of s poor swing and not the clubs. I'm not good enough to blame my gear

Great question Josh:

We have our own Redemption we need to fix #TeamHighCrown

I'm very laid back, and prefer some good conversation and some music to keep things going. I'm not too picky on which genre, but I have been rockin' "hip hop road trip" lately with good results.

As for the partnership, I'm good at reading greens and people... once I get a feel for someone I'm usually fairly in tune with when to show encouragement and when to keep quiet. As for myself, even if I'm playing poorly it's usually just a little vulgar language under my breath (I like to get creative!) and I'm good, so their won't be any bad vibes in my playing group.

Greens-wise my strength is reading putts and proper speed. I have no problem going first and finding the line and putting one close (or in), but I prefer to putt last.

Lastly, I don't have a huge ego, so I'm open to taking advice during the round and doing what is best for the team. If my partner thinks I'm being too aggressive and my low percentage shots are hurting the team, I'm open to laying up, or aiming center of the green to allow my partner to go for it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Im in the minority that I prefer not having music during my round. I like conversation. I like fun, but I am not a huge fan of the music. I know most of the Zoo Crew enjoys it and I am normally the odd man out and thats fine, but its just my opinion.

Most can expect to have it in their foursomes during the rounds as most of the Zoo Crewers have it going.

Dug up a few photos from last year. Hope you guys are ready for this!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Grandaddy1.jpg
    Grandaddy1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Grandaddy2.jpg
    Grandaddy2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Grandaddy3.jpg
    Grandaddy3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Grandaddy4.jpg
    Grandaddy4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
Im in the minority that I prefer not having music during my round. I like conversation. I like fun, but I am not a huge fan of the music. I know most of the Zoo Crew enjoys it and I am normally the odd man out and thats fine, but its just my opinion.

Most can expect to have it in their foursomes during the rounds as most of the Zoo Crewers have it going.

I like music at times. But it's not a must

Hashtag bringing the goods.

Back