Harry Taylor Wedges - THP Review

Good looking wedge, pretty much looks like several wedges out on the market the past couple years to me.

I'd agree and disagree, but I'm in the camp that there is only so much which can be done with a wedge from a visual perspective, but in weighting, leading edge, and balance there is a lot more. There can essentially be "more going on under the hood" so to speak.

More under the hood is good, more junk in the trunk....well that's for another thread I suppose. Wedges are so personal for me already. Almost as much as a putter

More under the hood is good, more junk in the trunk....well that's for another thread I suppose. Wedges are so personal for me already. Almost as much as a putter
And that's the beauty, like putters, there are a ton of options in wedges out there for someone to find what works for them.

For me, it's exciting that we have someone back in the design game who has a storied history. Sure, as with any club they will suit some and not others, but the craftsmanship and story is definitely for real here, which is always fun.

I'm a fan of any and all craftsman. And we've seen some beauty's this week.

I'm a fan of any and all craftsman. And we've seen some beauty's this week.

Its definitely a fun time for golf addicts like us!

Harry Taylor Wedges - THP Review

E1iterate and I talked to Harry today after we played 9, and we told him about THP and this thread. He gave me a discount code for us to use, if anyone on THP is interested in buying his wedges.

Discount Code: Love33
This code makes the satin wedge $100.50 & the black wedge $113.90.

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

E1iterate and I talked to Harry today after we played 9, and we told him about THP and this thread. He gave me a discount code for us to use, if anyone on THP is interested in buying his wedges.

Dax

I am in the market for some new wedges and look forward to using this code pending JMan's review. Thanks for hooking us up.

That is one heck of a code, good looking out! I do fear that the 169 price tag on the black finish models will scare many away immediately, I understand the plans of the loyalty program and various discounts/specials, but SEEING that sticker price when you have other wedges at 129/139/149 could be a decent hurdle to overcome.

But, back to performance, I'm getting out with these here in a bit in the freaking cold, but work must go on! More thoughts to go with those I posted previously in the thread soon!

Alright, update time.

I'm pretty convinced that if these can be put INTO THE HANDS of people, they'll be surprised by them. While we have seen other wedge companies take a similar order/production approach to these, the quality here truly is top notch. There is a really really nice feel and a completely well rounded look at address. One thing I like is that at setup it rides the line of a rounded and flat leading edge, not extreme one way or the other as is usually the case.

Additionally the soles are more versatile than I anticipated, when I first read about these I immediately said to myself "Where are the options?" because right now on the market that is what we are consistently having thrown at us, this is a throwback in the sense that it is a straight forward grind on each wedge intent on maximizing versatility and playability for a variety of lies and not a finite type of lie/swing. With that, the turf interaction has been really good, from full swings to tight-lie chips/pitches I've yet to see any situations that adversely effect the playability.

They feel excellent if I'm being totally honest. Sure, thats subjective, but there is no harsh clickiness here, just a nice dense thump at impact, something I believe most prefer in their wedges as it gives the sensation of being "soft", and in a part of the game where "touch" is key, its a big deal for many.

I'm not seeing any more or less spin than other wedges I'm trying them against, that isn't a knock, in fact its a good thing because ALL WEDGES SPIN, the key is to remember that sometimes the technique is going to dictate spin to the largest degree, as will the overall profile and how it meshes with the users swing. This brings us back to the need to get them in hand for people to try/experience.

Finish wise the satin is stellar, the face isn't showing any abnormal wear and there is just some light brushing on the sole. The black finish is showing a bit more wear obviously, but its predominantly on the sole, the face is still really clean (I promise I'll get some pics this afternoon) after practice today.

They're solid. I don't just say that because I'm reviewing them either, I'm a bit of a wedge snob with what I enjoy and these are filling in easily. They've got a lot of "old school" to them to my mind in that they are just meant to be versatile and really well rounded all over. Plus, they're really clean looking, they remind me a lot of the MacGregor wedges we used to see when they were still a standalone company in that regard, clean.

More soon, and yes I am still going to put up some comparative spin numbers!

Dax

Well, I think that makes my new wedge decision much easier...!

I also want to add something regarding the price point.

$169 is a LOFTY price point for a wedge (price of the black version per their site), particularly when you can get a black finished wedge from others for the same price as the other finishes. Even then, the $149 of the satin is the same price as the new Vokeys.

That said, I KNOW that they are going to key in on referral reward programs and codes (they're doing a 33% off right now for signing up for newsletters) and I know its part of marketing/etc, but I can't help but feel its risky as everyone is instantly going to ask how they are better/worse than wedges they can go pick up in hand at all the big box stores and touch/feel immediately.

I believe from my time so far that the performance IS there, but for companies like this, even with a legendary clubmaker at the helm, its an interesting tight-rope to walk.

I appreciate that perspective, Jman. I have to admit, I was initially a little wary. Why take a chance here when there are so many known alternatives that are really good? The pricing for me is certainly a barrier to entry given that paradigm. On the other hand people might be wary of quality if the price was too low. I don't envy new golf companies, it's a really tough business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate that perspective, Jman. I have to admit, I was initially a little wary. Why take a chance here when there are so many known alternatives that are really good? The pricing for me is certainly a barrier to entry given that paradigm. On the other hand people might be wary of quality if the price was too low. I don't envy new golf companies, it's a really tough business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, its that double-edges sword we often speak of.

The good news is, with the codes, you can get these at really nice price points and it sort of makes the higher price point more palatable knowing a deal is there to be had.

Man, those are some GOOD LOOKING wedges. I'll be in the market for a new 54 this fall. These will be on the list...

Harry Taylor is a name I was unfamiliar with until now, thanks Jman. Another fantastic job and excellent photos from all the important angles and views. I love the clean, old school looks. In a day of variables and options from other wedge companies; these are simple, clean, and versatile...without confusing the design.

One question James. Does the milling start at the grooves heel side? I see the milling goes all the way out towards the toe but just curious as to where the milling starts

One question James. Does the milling start at the grooves heel side? I see the milling goes all the way out towards the toe but just curious as to where the milling starts

Yeah, it fades in from there, its interesting indeed and if not for the photos I don't know that anyone would catch that (YAY good camera setups! :alien:). As we know though, there are two camps when it comes to the milling on the face and its effectiveness in performance, or the lackthereof (depending on who you talk to).

DSC_1046-XL.jpg

Yeah, it fades in from there, its interesting indeed and if not for the photos I don't know that anyone would catch that (YAY good camera setups! :alien:). As we know though, there are two camps when it comes to the milling on the face and its effectiveness in performance, or the lackthereof (depending on who you talk to).

DSC_1046-XL.jpg
Ya this is the picture i was talking about but its a lot more clear on a desk top. Thanks for the good picture. I make contact with just about every area of surface on a wedge so the more milling the better haha If this thing had milling on the hosel it would be mine lol

Ya this is the picture i was talking about but its a lot more clear on a desk top. Thanks for the good picture. I make contact with just about every area of surface on a wedge so the more milling the better haha If this thing had milling on the hosel it would be mine lol

Truth be told, those milling grooves on most wedges (like these) are just aesthetics, no tangible performance jump. FWIW of course.

Truth be told, those milling grooves on most wedges (like these) are just aesthetics, no tangible performance jump. FWIW of course.
of course. I cant remember who was talking about it but someone mentioned about the milling being for aesthetics and Cleveland and Callaway use a coating on the grooves for the extra grip

Dax

I'll second this and he also mentioned a reward program so lets say I bought a wedge and gave you my unique code or referral link I would get 20 bucks back if you ordered one too.

I'll second this and he also mentioned a reward program so lets say I bought a wedge and gave you my unique code or referral link I would get 20 bucks back if you ordered one too.

Which is cool, but still a rather interesting take on things.

Fixing to put this one to paper as I have spent a ton of time with them and also put them in the hands of six others who played them for entire rounds as well.

I did want to come back and comment on spin as I said I would. I did record numbers in comparison, and though I won't use them for the formal review (not a believer in comparisons across companies like that in a review, at all) I can touch on them here.

Straight forward? They spin...but all wedges do. I hit these next to SM6's, MD3's, Hopkins, PING Glide's, and RTX 2.0's on my LM with full swings as well as pitch shots. Overall, the order FOR ME was SM6, HT's, MD3, 2.0, Glide, Hopkins on both of these. What should be noted here is that they were all within 375 RPM of eachother (1st to last). The Harry Taylors actually were only 34 RPM lower on average than the SM6 and 41 RPM higher than the MD3. Naturally, you have to take new grooves versus played grooves into account but in all honesty, again, ALL WEDGES SPIN, and technique matters more. More interesting is that the flight on the HT's on full swings was the highest peak for me at 39 yards. Clearly, YMMV when it comes to spin and launch as the swings move, but its a good way to see that it is there in these, even without all the fancy super-duper ultra-top-secret 2nd and 3rd face millings.

Flat out, these are really solid wedges. They feel great, they perform as you would want a wedge to perform on full and partial shots, and more than that they don't surrender any versatility despite the single bounce offering in each loft. They key here will without a doubt be GETTING THEM INTO PEOPLES HANDS to try.

Thanks for the update James.

Like most things golf related (collective) we probably overthink things such as bounce and spin. I'm glad that only one bounce offering didn't hamper the versatility and considering the designer, it's not surprising that the spin rate compared favorably with your other wedges.

Did your #1 bag try these?

Looking forward to your full review.

Back