PTx Irons For THPers - The 2016 Ben Hogan Experience

Hybrids is not plural...as in lots...interesting

Maybe we'll get some inside info next month on what the future may hold for the Ben Hogan golf company.

I'm already pretty excited to try the hybrids one day down the road, but I wonder if they have more coming after?

I'm already pretty excited to try the hybrids one day down the road, but I wonder if they have more coming after?
Maybe a return of the Big Ben driver???

Maybe a return of the Big Ben driver???

I could see that. They already have a large amount of moveable weight (24 grams) in their new hybrid. Though if so, I hope they come up with a better name than "Big Ben".

I thought this part of their most recent communication was particularly interesting (emphasis added):

"Our single mission here at the new Ben Hogan is to help you . . . and all golfers . . . improve your proficiency with all the clubs in your bag. We have started with your wedges and irons, but we’ll have lots more coming in the months ahead."
Can't wait to see what's coming I have had 5 sets of Hogan apex edge pros and I might still be playing them if I could find them lol

I got Hogan's new newsletter today and was reading the spotlight on the PTx irons. One thing that confuses me still is the different launch profiles. The launch profiles are designated by lofts. So if you hit the ball high and got a lower launching profile you would just start your PW spot with a lower lofted club. So wouldn't that just make that club longer, or are the CG positions different to alter flight while maintaining similar distances?

Last edited:
I got Hogan's new newsletter today and was reading the spotlight on the PTx irons. One thing that confuses me still is the different launch profiles. The launch profiles are designated by lofts. So if you hit the ball high and got a lower launching profile you would just start your PW spot with a lower lofted club. So wouldn't that just make that club longer, or are the CG positions different to alter flight while maintaining similar distances?
I was thinking the same thing. It's almost like you just pick how far or high you want your 7i to go and build off of that.

Read through that as well and is among my biggest questions of set building. I am really confused and excited to learn.

It is interesting in the other thread they talk about info from BH about fittings that will be done off grass with a track man and some other shaft options later in the summer.

There are so many things to consider with how the clubs will launch with their new insert tech compared to other brands, it is going to be a blast to try them out.

It is interesting in the other thread they talk about info from BH about fittings that will be done off grass with a track man and some other shaft options later in the summer.

There are so many things to consider with how the clubs will launch with their new insert tech compared to other brands, it is going to be a blast to try them out.

Thats what the rep told me over the phone for potential customers that can get there. Not what is planned for this event. I didn't mention the event to the person I talked to.

I get excited anytime I see anything new about these sticks and the Company. They send emails every 2 days or so about their process and ideas, I was close to ordering some wedges but figured until the set is figured out the numbers could change some.
Patience is not one of my strong points when it comes to golf clubs, the restraint is good for the soul.

I get excited anytime I see anything new about these sticks and the Company. They send emails every 2 days or so about their process and ideas, I was close to ordering some wedges but figured until the set is figured out the numbers could change some.
Patience is not one of my strong points when it comes to golf clubs, the restraint is good for the soul.
I know how you feel. Restraint isn't my strong suite either.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

You guys are going to have a great experience, looking forward to your write ups!

Me too. I ultimately bought another RTX and may adjust lofts and shafts depending on what the Hogans end up being.

We are a touch over two weeks out. I hope to get a round in this weekend - that will likely be my last one before shipping my irons. Aren't THP HOF tags are on the line? It will be fun to see what the teams are and put these clubs to the test.

We are a touch over two weeks out. I hope to get a round in this weekend - that will likely be my last one before shipping my irons. Aren't THP HOF tags are on the line? It will be fun to see what the teams are and put these clubs to the test.
Yessir! I've got my sights sets on #3!

After this weekend and Club Clash, you are officially on deck!

After this weekend and Club Clash, you are officially on deck!

I'm anxious to hear the details...

I'm still pondering these irons so will be glued to the monitor awaiting your comments boys! Very excited about this.

I had another thought/question about these irons last night and had to check the PTx site for info. Let's say one person has the high launch profile and one has the mid. Both of their highest lofted clubs are the same length shaft even though they are different lofts (assuming they are both fit to standard length irons). That's really interesting to me.

My current PW has 46* of loft. So if I were to start my set with their low launching loft profile (44*) it seems like it would be less like starting out with a 9 iron and more like starting out with my PW just bent 2* strong as the shaft lengths are the same (my PW also has a 35.75" shaft).

I also like my 9, PW and gap the same length, interesting question

All interesting questions. I'm just really anxious to see how the clubs perform, assess their playability and learn how much forgiveness they really have. They seem to generally profile like the J40 DPCs and I wasn't quite good enough to game those irons. I'm really hoping these are different. TBD.

I would definitely be interested to see how these compare to something like the DPC's or DPF, as they definitely appear similar, at least at first blush.

Back