Strongly pondering a Titleist 983K Driver

BogeyMan60

Reaction score
Handicap
My Gut
After playing around with my 3Deep and seeing how much I really prefer the smaller look of that club vs a 460cc driver on the tee I started to do some research on smaller headed drivers. I know the larger head is more forgiving but I really find that the smaller head helps me concentrate more and put a better swing on the ball and find the center of the face more. So my question to you guys is how do you think the 983K will stack up to more modern clubs as far as distance and overall performance. Thanks as always for the advice and opinions.

It'd be hard to know exactly I'd say, but I did watch an interesting video recently where a guy tested the Callaway RFX 3w vs an ERC 3w and the RFX was only 3 yards longer. What that tells me is that clubs haven't changed nearly as much as people would have us believe. No doubt people are going to disagree with me but I'm telling you what I saw and what I think. Nothing more, nothing less.

If anything they've came full circle with the placement of the weighting and COG of the club. The biggest advancement I see is adjustability and shafts. They're going pretty cheap on eBay so its not like it will set me back that much and if it works out, great, if not, recouping my 20 or 30 bucks shouldn't be that hard.

Well, I play an Amp Cell driver (stock stiff shaft) & keep a 983k (NV65 reg flex) close at had to help groove the swing, so here goes:

On course, no more than a 10 yard difference between the two - combination of carry & roll out.

I do get sloppy with the driver (who am I kidding -just about all the clubs) from time to time. A range session or two with the 983 (NV65 shaft) helps get my tempo & mechanics back, so when I go back to the Cobra I'm more accurate and a bit longer. SS with a 6 iron is mid-high 80's - right in-between a regular & stiff.

Hope this helps, could be a good $20-$30 investment.

Well, I play an Amp Cell driver (stock stiff shaft) & keep a 983k (NV65 reg flex) close at had to help groove the swing, so here goes:

On course, no more than a 10 yard difference between the two - combination of carry & roll out.

I do get sloppy with the driver (who am I kidding -just about all the clubs) from time to time. A range session or two with the 983 (NV65 shaft) helps get my tempo & mechanics back, so when I go back to the Cobra I'm more accurate and a bit longer. SS with a 6 iron is mid-high 80's - right in-between a regular & stiff.

Hope this helps, could be a good $20-$30 investment.

Thanks for the info bud, I just picked one up off eBay for $20 with the proprietary Titleist 4560 shaft, did a little research on the shaft and it's made by Aldila NVS which is a shaft my pro likes for me. We'll see how she hits for me. I have a feeling I could really like this club, but if not, it's no biggie.

After playing around with my 3Deep and seeing how much I really prefer the smaller look of that club vs a 460cc driver on the tee I started to do some research on smaller headed drivers. I know the larger head is more forgiving but I really find that the smaller head helps me concentrate more and put a better swing on the ball and find the center of the face more. So my question to you guys is how do you think the 983K will stack up to more modern clubs as far as distance and overall performance. Thanks as always for the advice and opinions.

The 983K is the driver I used before getting my "current" driver. I haven't been able to play all year so what I can tell you is from roughly a year ago. The 983K was about 10-15 yards shorter than my current driver but seemed to have better dispersion. The shafts I use are the same make/model so essentially the only difference is the head. I think the 983K is great and hope you get the results you're looking for!

(I still have my 983K because on occasion I would put it in my bag depending on the course (i.e fairway widths))

The 983K is the driver I used before getting my "current" driver. I haven't been able to play all year so what I can tell you is from roughly a year ago. The 983K was about 10-15 yards shorter than my current driver but seemed to have better dispersion. The shafts I use are the same make/model so essentially the only difference is the head. I think the 983K is great and hope you get the results you're looking for!

(I still have my 983K because on occasion I would put it in my bag depending on the course (i.e fairway widths))

Around here, honestly 10-15 yards isn't going to make much difference but dispersion makes all the difference in the world. I don't even really use my driver that much unless I have a wide open fairway or there is a chance I can hit a par 5 in 2. I don't even have any complaints about my Amp Cell, as a matter of fact, I like it quite a but I find with my 3 deep I make center face contact quite a bit more often by being able to tee the ball a bit lower and back in my stance a bit more. I also find that with the smaller head I concentrate more and put a better swing on the ball, I know its something in my subconscious but it really makes a different. I also really hate trying to hit the ball on the upswing like you have to do with 460cc heads. We'll see how it goes with the 983K, its just a cheap experiment and if it works out I'll be ecstatic, but if not, no worries. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated with my findings, not that anyone is gonna be rushing to eBay to buy up 983K's, haha.

It's a really nice driver, I still bag an old Titleist with a 905 T. Good choice and I hope it works for you.

It's a really nice driver, I still bag an old Titleist with a 905 T. Good choice and I hope it works for you.

Thanks for the kind words, what I'm really working towards is getting maximum accuracy with as much as possible distance for the coming season, looking to join the golf league at work and possibly the Golf Channel AM Tour or the Golf Week Edwin Watts Amateur league and I think that's what will be one of the keys for getting me the best possible scores and give me a chance to win my super exponentially high handicap division, lol

Well, I got my 983K in the mail today and in true THPer fashion I took a ball out of my shag bag and went outside in the pouring rain and gave it a whack. Saw a really nice low to mid ball flight out of it, looked like one of those that would hit the ground and do some serious rolling and loved the sound. Its hard to make an assessment after just one ball but I think I'll like this driver.

Also the 983K has a draw bias so keep that in mind. I have a 975D w/ S300 that I was playing around with. It was a 2 wood for me. My all time fav driver was the 983E, the entire 983 series was a bomber!!

It's an awesome driver.

I got a 983E just for a fun gift last year.

BogeyMan60 How is the 983K working out for you?
I'm interested in how it compares to your X Hot 3-Deep as well as your AMP cell driver?
Is the fact that the shaft is shorter(on the 3-Deep) the reason for the more consistent results?

Last edited:
BogeyMan60 How is the 983K working out for you?
I'm interested in how it compares to your X Hot 3-Deep as well as your AMP cell driver?
Is the fact that the shaft is shorter(on the 3-Deep) the reason for the more consistent results?

I've hit the 983K on the range once and it was pretty good for me but the day I took the Amp Cell out of the bag and played the 983K it didn't go so well for me, but it probably would've been a bad day with either driver off the tee so I wouldn't say it'd be fair to give an assessment of the 983K yet but the Amp Cell was great for me last season. I'm not sure what the reason for all the success has been with the 3 Deep yet other than the smaller head makes me really concentrate and put a good swing on the ball, I play a pretty short shaft in my drivers as well. Sorry, if this is a bit jumbled and out of sorts BC, I'm about to fall asleep but I'll be sure to take some notes and give you a better assessment as I get some more swings yet. I really like the 983K but at times I fount myself really missing my Amp Cell during the round I played it. Guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Back