Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Having held these in hand this weekend, I have no doubt that these are where I'm going next month at #TheGrandaddy.

Also, watching JB and others hit them, I fully believe they DID improve on the prior version...and honestly I think these look better after holding them.

I prefer this set, especially around the 6-8 irons. They feature mass low and throughout the bottom of the iron and it has led to some serious forgiveness. Possibly the most I have seen in any set that is this size. I think when push comes to shove, these will end up in a lot of bags due to that when testing.

I prefer this set, especially around the 6-8 irons. They feature mass low and throughout the bottom of the iron and it has led to some serious forgiveness. Possibly the most I have seen in any set that is this size. I think when push comes to shove, these will end up in a lot of bags due to that when testing.
Agreed. Also, setting them down next to the F5's I'm testing reminded me, Callaway has got SUCH a freaking well balanced look in the Apex in terms of topline, length of head, and the offset.

I have little doubt I will be rocking these.

After being underwhelmed by pictures online, especially regarding the topline, I was pleasantly surprised to finally see this myself and get a real idea of how they look at address. Even with the cup face, the Apex CF 16 are anything but bulbous. I am a fan.

I see literally zero reason to even think about the pro's.

Agreed. I hate that nowhere around me has a demo iron in LH, but I am ok knowing my first swing with them in California will be with the eyes of a professional fitter.

These have been on my mind since the day they were announced. I've only been able to swing the 7i at Golfsmith, but it just confirmed my wanting them.

I went to my Golf Superstore last weekend . I went in really wanting to to come out with the 716 ap1. Being a lefty I didn't expect them to
have the cf16 in stock . The pictures do not do them justice at all , they are stunning to say the least.
Anyway I demo'd the ap1 , apex, psi, Mizuno jpx 850 , and Rsi 1 as a baseline as that is what I have now.
The psi was eliminated right away didn't like the feel and struggled to hit it solid, likely my lack of talent. The Jpx is launched way too high
and was the shortest of the bunch .
Anyway it came down to the apex & ap1 , The ap1 was quite consistently on line but a club short or more from the apex .

To the point and winner was the apex , really from the first hit the others were trouble .
The apex feel is outstanding , kind of a hot - soft feel if that makes sense very pleasing. Distance on a par with the rsi 1 maybe a tad longer, very consistent distance control , once I got use to them the accuracy was there as well.

Downside is the price pretty steep, I had to have them.. a distance iron , with looks and feel . So I order a set of 6-pw. I was considering
the aw , or the apex pro aw maybe more nimble but after reading in this thread owners are praising the gap wedge I may order it as well.
gb

Must. Resist. Spending. More. Money.

I want these so bad.

Finally found the right thread haha - can't wait to read your thoughts Blu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a few passes with Emart's 5 iron. These irons are freaking long! Cup face is the real deal. Sound is a little different than I was expecting, not in a bad way. Just different. For those Grandaddy participants these will pleasantly surprise you. Long and forgiving, who wouldn't want that.

I took a few passes with Emart's 5 iron. These irons are freaking long! Cup face is the real deal. Sound is a little different than I was expecting, not in a bad way. Just different. For those Grandaddy participants these will pleasantly surprise you. Long and forgiving, who wouldn't want that.

how did they feel Kevin?

how did they feel Kevin?
To me they felt very similar to the previous Apex. But dude the ball comes off the face with a ton of energy. The wind was in our face at the range 10-20 all day. The ball was effected by the wind but the distance loss was not hampered a ton. Brother I'm telling you, these are a fun iron to hit.

Last edited:
Really spent some time dialing these in today and have my yardages down and am just loving the level of forgiveness laterally. My miss is toe side and I see virtually the same ball flight as my well struck shot and still get the feedback that some crave. The pairing with the Recoils is perfect for me as well. Nice high ball flight, that feels great at impact.

Pretty excited to continue playing them.

As a HUGE fan of the previous line I probably should have tried these out when I had the chance last weekend, dang it the thought ever even crossed my mind.

Really spent some time dialing these in today and have my yardages down and am just loving the level of forgiveness laterally. My miss is toe side and I see virtually the same ball flight as my well struck shot and still get the feedback that some crave. The pairing with the Recoils is perfect for me as well. Nice high ball flight, that feels great at impact.

I don't remember which Recoils were in those, but I hit the ball nice and high with them. Ball freaking jumped off the face too. #17 at MI comes to mind, hello bunker of dec. More compact than I thought they would be, but I can't stress enough how excited I am to get fitted for them in less than a month.

As a HUGE fan of the previous line I probably should have tried these out when I had the chance last weekend, dang it the thought ever even crossed my mind.

in fairness, you had some pretty badass irons in your bag

I got to hit a handful or shots with these on coirse today thanks to Emart2173. Boy was I impressed. Despite them not being the right length for me. I was able to hit a few solid tee shots on some par3's. They actually seemed to be longer than my D200's and I felt had enough forgiveness for me to condider gaming.

I loved the feel of the PXI 6.0 shaft he has, even though I probalby should be in a 5.0 or 5.5.

I don't remember which Recoils were in those, but I hit the ball nice and high with them. Ball freaking jumped off the face too. #17 at MI comes to mind, hello bunker of dec. More compact than I thought they would be, but I can't stress enough how excited I am to get fitted for them in less than a month.

dc213732fda17bde784c00cfcb25189f.jpg

Every time I look at these (which is a LOT) I keep on freaking out that I get to be fit to them properly in just a month by some of the best in the business at the ECPC.

Crazy.

Every time I look at these (which is a LOT) I keep on freaking out that I get to be fit to them properly in just a month by some of the best in the business at the ECPC.

Crazy.
That makes all the difference. I am lucky enough to be an hours drive from the ECPC in NJ. Getting properly fit makes it all worth while. I went from 2° up to 1° flat last year and what a difference.

That makes all the difference. I am lucky enough to be an hours drive from the ECPC in NJ. Getting properly fit makes it all worth while. I went from 2° up to 1° flat last year and what a difference.

There is a bit of a difference between the Ely Callaway Performance Center.... And the regional Callaway Performance Centers. But a quality fitting is certain at those locations.

There is a bit of a difference between the Ely Callaway Performance Center.... And the regional Callaway Performance Centers. But a quality fitting is certain at those locations.
Oh don't I know that. Quite a bit different. But it's the closest to me that has all the Callaway stuff without traveling 3500 miles.

Man that makes me excited. The feedback off the toe on my current irons feels horrid.

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Back