reviews with a grain of salt

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
In my madness of researching everything to death I have been reading about the new srix 545 and 745, the bridgestone j15 line of irons, and the wilson m3 and v4. The views and thoughts on some irons are really contrary to how I perceive the 545 and the j15dpf and j15cb to be. Now I am not quoting verbatim here but according to others the 545s are just okay, no way near the best iron in its class and the 745 much better, closer to the best iron in its class. I actually do not feel that much difference between the 2 and when addressing the ball, they don't look that much different from above. Also the dpf is said to be a great club with good feel, distance, looks, yada yada. I found that iron to be okay but not more than that. And the j15CB which I think is great to look at in the bag and at address, had great feeling and feedback, and plays fairly long. What do they say, an average cavity back with same old same old technology and style. It is said to be "5 years late to the party". Have I been so influenced by the hackers paradise that I am ready to drink the kool aid?

What do you mean by "drink the kool aid"? That you have to have the same opinion as everyone else with regards to equipment?

I'm five years late to that party, if so.

Ive had the 545's since last July...I would rate them MUCH higher than "just okay".

If you read that entire thread there isnt much bad said about them at all

What looks, feels and reacts best to your swing? That's all you need to know.

Ive had the 545's since last July...I would rate them MUCH higher than "just okay".

And anything that is said suggesting the superiority of the 745's, I'm sure it's purely preference.

I thought the 545's hit extremely well.

Also possible: Not every iron is intended for every player. I don't think anyone climbs onto THP as says everyone should be gaming a certain iron...Except the Apex. Everyone should be gaming Apex irons. Just put in the shaft you like.

Also possible: poorly struck golf balls fly poorly regardless of club. I've had days where I really thought I was going to get to the bottom of which club is the best for me...but my swing just wasn't up to the task.

Also possible: Not every iron is intended for every player. I don't think anyone climbs onto THP as says everyone should be gaming a certain iron...Except the Apex. Everyone should be gaming Apex irons. Just put in the shaft you like.
I agree with all of this (I game Apexes).

But really, clubs react different ways to different swings. What works for me might not work for you. What I love about places like THP is you can get a feel for who likes the stuff you like, then you've got some reviews to trust. Sure, you *could* just read Jman's review of XYZ club, but that's not the best part. The best part is a solid review backed by like 30 pages of forum chatter about that club from people who generally aren't Internet Golfers. Where else can you get that in depth knowledge?

You drink whatever you'd like. The reviews are just an opinion. I think sometimes folks get caught up in the excitement of the comments.All that matters is that you play what helps you enjoy the game the most.

I have no ragrets about drinking the Z545 kool aid. I believe there is a thing called money that may come in to play in regards to many reviews outside of THP.

my "kool aid" was meant facetiously, sarcasm isn't always translated via text well. I know without being told that both the 545 and j15cb are excellent irons.

my "kool aid" was meant facetiously, sarcasm isn't always translated via text well. I know without being told that both the 545 and j15cb are excellent irons.

But not for everyone. Some people will hit them and think they are garbage. Golf equipment is so subjective that it's hard to make blanket statements. It's why when Hawk and Jman and Canadan do their reviews, they keep their personal opinions out of it. They present the information and data and let the consumer make their own opinion. Fitting and getting numbers are very important. Finding something that works best FOR YOU is most important.

It's easy for a community to get swept up (either positively or negatively) about any number of items. Those thoughts can hold influence before people have a chance to try things out themselves.

I know what I like and what I don't and my criteria and I'm sure you do as well, so go with your gut.

Everyone takes from reviews different perspectives. I would not say the Z545's are just ok. So much tech built into those and the sole is legit.

In the end swing the clubs and play what you like. If a review helps you get there than great, if not great.

Thats bound to happen when u have ppl all excited about new equipment. Its the equipment honeymoon effect. I know I get all pumped about stuff after a good round or 2 then realize im not that into it later.

It's easy for a community to get swept up (either positively or negatively) about any number of items. Those thoughts can hold influence before people have a chance to try things out themselves.

I know what I like and what I don't and my criteria and I'm sure you do as well, so go with your gut.

This is spot on

Reviews of anything in this world need to be taken with a grain of salt. The best part about THP is that we actually set up events that you can go to and meet fellow members and get to know their games. When you find a couple people that have similar games and interests, it makes it a lot easier to find reviews that can be very helpful to you. Like in everything else, you have to try things out for yourself before you really know.

As an example, go to the "bought it; hated it" thread and see what some of the people say. Plenty of people stating they hated things that others have absolutely loved. That's what makes this game so great and crazy at the same time. Something that might be an absolute bomber and the best club I've ever had, might be another guys worst nightmare. Reviews are just a point of reference, but IMO should never be the deciding factor.

In my madness of researching everything to death I have been reading about the new srix 545 and 745, the bridgestone j15 line of irons, and the wilson m3 and v4. The views and thoughts on some irons are really contrary to how I perceive the 545 and the j15dpf and j15cb to be. Now I am not quoting verbatim here but according to others the 545s are just okay, no way near the best iron in its class and the 745 much better, closer to the best iron in its class. I actually do not feel that much difference between the 2 and when addressing the ball, they don't look that much different from above. Also the dpf is said to be a great club with good feel, distance, looks, yada yada. I found that iron to be okay but not more than that. And the j15CB which I think is great to look at in the bag and at address, had great feeling and feedback, and plays fairly long. What do they say, an average cavity back with same old same old technology and style. It is said to be "5 years late to the party". Have I been so influenced by the hackers paradise that I am ready to drink the kool aid?

not sure where the bold is coming from...there is actually really good thoughts and feedback on the 545s and i am an owner of a set mostly based on feedback in the thread. i was fit into several iron sets and the 545s performed the best from what i tested.

like any club some will be better suited for one person over another but the J15 DPFs are far form an OK club and received lots of positive thoughts from Bridgestone U and several of the THPers have them in their bags now.

For comprehensive reviews, for the most part I have yet to find any better than the ones on THP. Sure I have read some solid feedback from other sources but our reviews are second to none. That being said, the personal opinions of someone that took five swings with a club on bad day, I really don't pay close attention to. People on THP read the hype, some valid and some not, and run to try what others have tried. Looking for that same feeling or result. The problem is there are as many different swings as there are members. What works for one will not work for the other.

You have to pick and choose what you might refer to as gospel. There are folk on THP I really like to listen to to because they have proven to know their stuff. I count these as the gospel speakers and will listen to their opinion. Is it always right, heck no, but more often then not they are leading people down the right path.

I have looked at all three sets mentioned and I like all of them. I have only hit the J15 CB and they don't stack up to my DFs. Now that is 100% my opinion and should be taken as such. But if someone takes it as the truth and finds the same the thing I found, maybe I am on to something. Probably not, but its nice to think you can influence people. The bottom line is we all like what we like and what we don't like. Most will never change and that's what is great about having a ton of options. There will always be something for someone.

Agree with what's best for swing. This is the third set of Adams irons I've had and all of them have worked well with my miss toward the toe. Most irons I've had, and there's been a lot, die with the toe miss. These still get reasonable distance and direction. All irons feel good with a center contact.

I don't most THP reviews also indicate that your results may vary. This community always encourages people to hit things to see if they work for them.

I have no ragrets about drinking the Z545 kool aid. I believe there is a thing called money that may come in to play in regards to many reviews outside of THP.

the 545s have been stellar for me and when i hit them as i should, they feel as good as my Epons did. Some have said Epon has a role in the making the 545s , who knows, but i love everything about them.

I think in the vast majority of reviews on here, most people add such statements as "for me" or "I find them to be, ymmv" type of disclaimers if you will.

And i realize you are probably aware, but since you are questioning the influence of reviews, it's the same no matter what product or service. Two of us can stay in the same hotel, the same city, the same night and even on the same floor, and two totally different experiences and reviews based on our individual experience. Same with cell phones, cars....you name it.

I read every review take the majority of good that I read balance it with the bad, and then try to experience and check out the club for myself before making any final decision.

BTW, I prefer Orange Koo-Aid.

What looks, feels and reacts best to your swing? That's all you need to know.

This, so much this that there is very little room for anything else!

Reviews and praise are only good to get you headed the right direction. Putting in the work and determining what works for you is all that matters.

I think in the vast majority of reviews on here, most people add such statements as "for me" or "I find them to be, ymmv" type of disclaimers if you will.

And i realize you are probably aware, but since you are questioning the influence of reviews, it's the same no matter what product or service. Two of us can stay in the same hotel, the same city, the same night and even on the same floor, and two totally different experiences and reviews based on our individual experience. Same with cell phones, cars....you name it.

I read every review take the majority of good that I read balance it with the bad, and then try to experience and check out the club for myself before making any final decision.

BTW, I prefer Orange Koo-Aid.

Very true Rob, everyone has different expectations and different styles. We will not always agree on the same thing on all matters at be. I take in account for this when choosing products, products reviews play a role in my testing as well as my own testing. Feel and performance is very personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back