Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

Am I the only one who cannot get past the relative cheapness of how this driver looks? Maybe I am just spoiled by the looks of the CG Black line. Performance (on the monitor) was not better for me (a slow swing speed guy) than my CG Black driver. It did have good feel and sound.

Cheapness? Guess I just dont see that.

Am I the only one who cannot get past the relative cheapness of how this driver looks? Maybe I am just spoiled by the looks of the CG Black line. Performance (on the monitor) was not better for me (a slow swing speed guy) than my CG Black driver. It did have good feel and sound.

Didn't notice that at all. I think the head looks really nice and quality.

Guess I am just to used to the looks of the other Cleveland drivers, Classic, XL, CG Black. This looks blah to me. Just my opinion, obviously.

Very intrigued. I haven't seen this one in the stores yet, but after hitting the Classic XL, I'd love to see how this one performs.

Glad you were able to swing it a bit. It is definitely a lighter offering with the entire club being in that 290 range I believe. I do think the target audience is a slower swing speed player where the lightweight can help to increase swing speed.

In Florida this past weekend I drilled some drives and they were landing and typically coming back less than a foot. I GPS'ed my better drives at 235, all carry obviously.

Looking forward to playing this in TX where I should see a good bit of roll since everything is pretty dry.

Cookie, any updates on how you are hitting this driver? I got to hit it at Golfsmith in a simulator and was hitting it pretty well according to the simulator. I hate hitting into them! But according to the numbers, I was hitting long high balls with my 85-89 mph swing about 215 to 230. Launch angle was way up there around the 15-18 degree range. Will wait to find one I can play a round with or hit outdoors before I make a decision, but I did like the light weight feel and ease of swing this driver provides for my swing. I hit a 10.5 reg. flex at golfsmith, which is what I usually play. To me this thing just seems like it screams easy to hit and hit high with smooth tempoed swings. At least this is what I was seeing in the simulator.

Finally saw one at Dick's over the weekend. Didn't get to hit it, but just some general thoughts. It looks great and is definitely the superlight club they promised. The only thing I couldn't get past was how overly closed the face looked at address. I don't think I could get any of my adjustable TM drivers to look that closed.

I'd still really like to give it a swing, thought.

Bump. I'm pretty sure Cookie had one of these listed in his *WITB* sig for a bit, but I see it got benched. I'm curious to know how it performed.

Bump. I'm pretty sure Cookie had one of these listed in his *WITB* sig for a bit, but I see it got benched. I'm curious to know how it performed.

The last time I played with him, he was swinging it quite well.

I still have it but benched it for the AMP cell once it arrived.

I was enjoying a nice mid-high launch with it in Florida and hitting it well but then I got back to TX and seemed to miss both ways with it. I think the overall lightweight toys with me some and doesn't help me to establish a good tempo.

Eff it, I'll put it into play tomorrow for 18 and report back.

I was enjoying a nice mid-high launch with it in Florida and hitting it well but then I got back to TX and seemed to miss both ways with it. I think the overall lightweight toys with me some and doesn't help me to establish a good tempo.

Please put it in play, it wants to be gamed!

The light weight is what concerns me. I'd have to swing one to know for sure though. A couple of years back I swung an Adams Fast 12 draw and thought it was way too light. I think it was a D1. The Altitude shows to be a D3 on their website. I was a bit stronger back when I tried that Adams though so who knows, I might like the lighter weight now.

The light weight is what concerns me. I'd have to swing one to know for sure though. A couple of years back I swung an Adams Fast 12 draw and thought it was way too light. I think it was a D1. The Altitude shows to be a D3 on their website. I was a bit stronger back when I tried that Adams though so who knows, I might like the lighter weight now.

I've seen stellar results when I can keep my tempo in check. But to be honest, my tempo is a concern with any driver that I hit so I'm curious to know if the lighter weight impacts it even a touch more.

This weight is the one thing that scares me. I need some weight boss!!

I've seen stellar results when I can keep my tempo in check. But to be honest, my tempo is a concern with any driver that I hit so I'm curious to know if the lighter weight impacts it even a touch more.
I can vouch for this. When he has good tempo, he has much better results.

Cookie have you tried a heavier shaft or counterweight in your driver? It can help you slow down your tempo without you consciously thinking about it. My 2007 Burner driver has a total weight of 364 grams and is 44.25" and I always seem to return to it when I have trouble with the driver. Just a suggestion.

Cookie have you tried a heavier shaft or counterweight in your driver? It can help you slow down your tempo without you consciously thinking about it. My 2007 Burner driver has a total weight of 364 grams and is 44.25" and I always seem to return to it when I have trouble with the driver. Just a suggestion.

I have not yet. I won't change the shaft in it but I did toss some lead tape into the bag which I may tinker with tomorrow pre round on the range. Hoping it brings the swing weight where I prefer it.

I have not yet. I won't change the shaft in it but I did toss some lead tape into the bag which I may tinker with tomorrow pre round on the range. Hoping it brings the swing weight where I prefer it.

Swing weight can help, but I find that overall weight distributed more evenly can help slow transition and tempo better for me. Sometimes SW can lead to me trying to manipulate the club head too much, which generally leads to a hook. Could just be what works for me though. Good luck, I'm sure you will get it figured out.

I should have an Altitude in hand this evening. Not sure if I can get it on the monitor tonight or not, but I'm going to try. We'll see how it performs stock for me and then I have a couple ideas for tinkering based on the numbers I see. I want it about an inch shorter regardless. Maybe more.

I should have an Altitude in hand this evening. Not sure if I can get it on the monitor tonight or not, but I'm going to try. We'll see how it performs stock for me and then I have a couple ideas for tinkering based on the numbers I see. I want it about an inch shorter regardless. Maybe more.

I approve this. I'll be doing similar, soon.

I'm used to the 44.75, so I'll start there. Quick and easy.

I'm the same. My most success has always been with 44.5 to 44.75

I need to get some of that Jman lead tape though. The stuff I have is garbage.

What's the stock length?

Back