Your State Ranking

Geez.. dropped from 12th to 22nd when I moved from New York to Indiana. Wish I saw this list before deciding to move. :alien:

LOL - yep this seems about right -
12. NEW YORK
Some of the world’s finest, yet most inaccessible, golf.

Sounds about right!
29. NEBRASKA
Sand Hills. Wow. Until Coore and Crenshaw saw it, who’da thunk it?

I call BS on Michigan and Ohio with such high rankings. I dont care how good the courses are if you can only play them 7-8 months of the year.
It's gonna be hard to find greener more perfect fairways than Ohio has, even if only for seven months!

It's gonna be hard to find greener more perfect fairways than Ohio has, even if only for seven months!

The issue remains that you are still in Ohio.

I can handle MI being number 2. As long as we beat Ohio.

List seems pretty decent to me. I have played great courses in each of the top 10, except for MI and OH.

Not quite sure what this means actually, any thoughts?

12. NEW YORK

12. NEW YORK
I'm assuming nicer courses but private??

Happy to see Wisco and Minnesota getting some love. I feel like we get forgotten about up here, even with Whistling Straits.

I'm assuming nicer courses but private??

Lots of private courses which are super nice throughout NY - but with a huge bulk of people living in NYC its tough actually getting to the courses unless you have a car....

Five courses does not a Golf State make.

I never thought of Ohio as a golf state either. My in-laws live in Cleveland and the number of courses around there is utterly amazing. They're all cheap and the grass is absolutely fantastic (at least in the spring, summer and fall).

38. UTAH
Let’s face it, golf can’t compete with Robert Redford and Sundance.

I think we are rated a little too low on this list.

1. You can go golfing and skiing on the same day.
2. We can play year round, St. George has some great weather and some nice courses when the rest of the state has snow, very similar to Arizona
3. internet golf is a reality here. The ball flies forever and then it rolls even farther.
4. The dry climate makes playing here in July much more comfortable than Florida
5. Green Fees are cheap.
6. Beautiful mountain courses

Not saying we should be #1 as we don't have the prestige of some other places or any PGA tour stops here, but 38 is too low.

Happy to see Wisco and Minnesota getting some love. I feel like we get forgotten about up here, even with Whistling Straits.

Minnestoa tops the nation in golfers per capita with a 27% participation rate and Wisconsin is ranked in the top 10 as well. The quantity and quality of accesable golf there is hard to beat. I certainly miss it living here in California for the past 17 years.

I find it hard to believe there are 29 states that have better golf than Vegas, let alone the northern NV courses near Tahoe

I moved from #3 to #5...but I can play golf for much longer now with little to no snow

I find it hard to believe there are 29 states that have better golf than Vegas, let alone the northern NV courses near Tahoe

There just aren't that many people in Nevada to justify hundreds of great golf courses. The Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area has a million more people than the entire state of Nevada. As far as Tahoe goes, Edgewood is the only great course you can play that is in Nevada - the other 7 or 8 are all in California.

Last edited:
LOL - yep this seems about right -
12. NEW YORK

12. NEW YORK

I thought we'd be a little higher, but then again, I didn't read the criteria either.

No. 11. I guess we need to hit more balls into the water. They said:

"When the ice melts, its thousand lakes fill up with balls."

BTW: It's 10,000 lakes....

Last edited:
Cali 4th behind Ohiotopia??? :dohanim: Though I agree with the reviewer's comments about the P.I.T.A. factor.

Back