Your State Ranking

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
Links magazine has ranked the States regarding its available golf venues. My State of residence, Maryland, is ranked 25th, my home State, Virginia, is ranked 27th. I actually thought both would be higher in the rankings. No surprise that Florida takes top honors, but I was amazed that some States with some rather harsh winters were ranked so highly.

http://www.linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/the-best-golf-states

Ohio is a strong third, just behind Michigan because of its rank in facilities, 18th, and a smaller resort footprint. In all other respects, however, Ohio laps the competition. It has hosted 18 men’s majors—which just happens to be the same number its favorite son, Jack Nicklaus, has won his ownself. Of course, Jack’s Memorial Tournament, coupled with Firestone, keeps the PGA Tour’s highlight reels flickering into the gloaming. Despite a population slightly larger than Michigan’s, it’s a couple of spots further back in total rounds played, but its percentage of estimated golfers ranks an enviable 12th. And with courses like Muirfield Village, The Golf Club, Scioto, Camargo, and Inverness, what otherwise flat piece of sod could be any golfier?

Five courses does not a Golf State make.

MN in at 11 which is about where I expected us to be. There is a very high percentage of golfers per capita.

Our courses may be ranked #9, but our golfers are #1. #RegionalRivalry

This list should be posted in the regional rivalry thread

Not going to lie, I thought Nebraska would be in the top 20. Lots of great courses here.

Ohio at 3. That's what I'm talking about

Massachusetts is about where it should be IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a little hard for me to see how California is not number 2, at least.

My state's rank (#15) is decent.

I love #18, NJ. "Get your heart stolen at Pine Valley, and your car stolen in Newark."

Good to see TX and WI in the top 10.

Tejas at 6, I can dig it.

Arizona at #7 makes sense, but all the courses are piled in about 3 places within a massive state, so it's kinda feast or famine.

I'm kind of surprised Mass is as high as it is.

WA #26. I guess I can live with that.

I call BS on Michigan and Ohio with such high rankings. I dont care how good the courses are if you can only play them 7-8 months of the year.

It is a little hard for me to see how California is not number 2, at least.

My state's rank (#15) is decent.

I only have had experience with Northern California golf having moved here from Minnesota in 1998. California top courses are great but nearly all of them are over $200 or private. Pebble Beach is $450 and tough to get a tee time. I had much better access to great golf when I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I am a member at one of the top 3 ranked private courses in the Sacramento area but there are 20+ private and public courses in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that blow away these top 3 private courses. The other problem with the top California private courses is the initiation fees are often over $100,000 with wait lists of many years. Because of the cost, many of my avid golfing neighbors who have spent there whole life in N. California have only played 2 or 3 total rounds at these top ranked courses. Many of these native Californians have never played Pebble or Spyglass.

Great resort courses here in N. California are not that numerous - the Lake Tahoe area has about 7 total and they all $175+ and slow play is the norm. Areas like Brainerd Minnesota or Hayward Wisconsin have numerous courses that are of higher quality in better condition that are usually about $100 per round or much less if you are a resort guest.

I love the California weather but I much prefer the affordable access to dozens of great golf courses that is easy to find in Wisconsin and Minnesota. That's why I will be spending my summers in retirement there.

I call BS on Michigan and Ohio with such high rankings. I dont care how good the courses are if you can only play them 7-8 months of the year.
I don't know Michigan has so many quality courses. Really there are only a couple states that can enjoy uninterrupted golf all year. Ohio well no I agree with you there .

Haters gonna hate

Must be better than junk for 12 months of the year

Not going to lie, I thought Nebraska would be in the top 20. Lots of great courses here.

you need to get out more... lol

Michigan #2.... I thought we'd be a touch lower, but top 5 still...

No Midwest bias by the writer from Ohio. :-7

Rabble rabble rabble

Haters gonna hate

Must be better than junk for 12 months of the year

Come on down Mike, I would be happy to have you in the winter to play some junk courses.

Number 10 for Illinois. Guess that's one thing going for us here.

Back