Mizuno MP 54 Irons - Looking for Feedback

Dime1960

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking at buying a new set of MP 54 iron with graphite shafts. Can anyone give me some feed back on these clubs ?

High launch to a fault to where I lost distance. Feel was only okay. Imo there are far better options. S55, Apex Pro, 850 forged just to name a few.

I am looking at buying a new set of MP 54 iron with graphite shafts. Can anyone give me some feed back on these clubs ?

Hi Dime, I just saw your comment on my MP H5 review and was about to respond, but I'll do it here.

I loved the way the 54's looked and felt. Beauty of a club. Reviewed them on our home page as well.

http://bit.ly/HIskCF

Thought they launched the ball almost unnaturally high unfortunately, which led to some shorter distances when compared to other similar irons. If I was picking between the two I'd personally take the H5's every day.

Thank you . I tried the 850's but thought they gave no feel . It was between the Apex & Mizuno's MP 54.

Thank you for the feed back. I actually was in contact with Mizuno about getting a shaft with a low kick point so I could get more launch . now that I know this maybe I can move on. Thanks Dime

I was torn between the MP54s and the MP15s and went with the MP15s because they felt a little more solid at impact. I did see higher than normal launch numbers with these in the stock shaft, but when I hit them with the C-Taper they came back down to my normal range.

I did like the forgiveness as well that they afforded. The feel at impact isn't bad, but it's not as solid as I prefer. I agree that the 850F lack a little in the feel at impact department, but make up for it in overall performance. I only have the 4 and 5 in the 850F, so they're not hit very often.

Everyone speaks of distance loss with the MP 54..can anyone put yards to this equalization?

For me it was a club and a half.

Everyone speaks of distance loss with the MP 54..can anyone put yards to this equalization?
Hard to say definitively, but I found them to be only 5 yards or so longer than my old set of Titleist DCI 962b, whereas the S55, J40, and Apex Pro all seemed to deliver about 15 yards more distance with a 6 iron.

WOW...I have played the MX25 now for years..I don't know if I would see that much difference?

That was in comparison to my Cobra S3 pros and they weren't built for distance.

I didn't see any distance loss with the MP54 when I had the proper shaft in them. I did really like the Apex pros were some great clubs but showed wear very very quickly. That soft brushed finish wasn't very durable and seemed to scuff up really easily.

I hit these against the I25, AP2, MP15, JPX EZ Forged and 850 Forged. Didn't like the EZ or 850, for me they lacked power. The I25 and MP54 felt nice to hit, both had KBS Tour shafts which kept ball flight down, but the overall winners were MP15 and AP2. I chose the AP2 in the end because I was more consistant with it. Not as soft to hit as the 54 or 15 but I really like an iron that feels solid to hit, but everyones different.

There was only 10m difference for me with all clubs so it came down to what ball flight was best and of course the thing you can't describe feeling. My measly swing speed of 83mph with 6 iron doesn't really get the ball out there too far.

I play a combo set of MP4's and MP54's. The MP54's for me don't launch any higher than expected. I have always been a high ball hitter so I flight the ball high to start with. For distance they were maybe a 1/2 club shorter than the Rocket Blade Tours I used before but they gap properly with my vokey wedges and 913hd hybrids. I am able to hit the 6 iron 200yards with a high ball flight that stops on a dime.

billp said:
I chose the AP2 in the end because I was more consistant with it.

I swung every make and model at a recent demo day. I tried the MP54 as I had several times before. I never hit the MP54 well. I was fitted this past weekend and went with the AP2 as well.

I chose the AP2 in the end because I was more consistent with it.

I agree. I hit every club on the market at a recent demo day. This included the MP54. I've hit this club several times and EVERY time I just don't get the warm fuzzy that many get. I was fitted this past weekend and went with the AP2 that the club pro recommended.

I drooled over the 54s when they came out. Demoed them extensively. Looked and felt great but the numbers just didn't add up. A club shorter than Apex Pros and AP2s for me. Went with the Apex Pros because my numbers were awesome with them and while they weren't quite as soft feeling as the 54s they were definitely softer than the AP2s.

Compared the 54's to the AP2's and my current MP 53's - I did not notice any distance loss and thought they were very similar to my 53's. AP2's may have been a tiny bit more forgiving but 54's felt better. Distance equal with all same shaft.

If you are in love with Mizuno's, I would consider the MP-15 instead of the MP-54. Similar profile and forgiveness. but with the MP-15 you are getting better feel and consistent ballflight and distances.

Was fit for MP-54 after gaming MP-53 for 4 years...just couldn't get the right feeling with them and wasn't consistent with them.

Decided to purchase a set of AP2 with the same shaft I had in my MP-53. Irons play came right back to where it should have been.

Thinking I had the wrong shafts in the 54, but love my AP2s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are in love with Mizuno's, I would consider the MP-15 instead of the MP-54. Similar profile and forgiveness. but with the MP-15 you are getting better feel and consistent ballflight and distances.

Agree with this. Although, I wouldn't call it a "better feel". Definitely more solid at impact though.

Back