Jordan Spieth Back to Old Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week, Spieth switched to the new 716 AP2 irons from Titleist. The results for him did not go to well as he got his 3rd MC of the season. Today on the course he had his old irons back in play the 714 AP2 from Titleist.

What do you think? Case of comfort and the middle of the playoffs? Or did not care for the new line and staying put?

Spieth-714-AP2_t780.jpg

I think like most of us, just takes time to get used to new gear. I dont think he wants to go through the pains of that with so much on the line.

My bet is comfort and wanting to win. If it ain't broke...

I think it's got to be a comfort/Mental thing. I think it's smart of him to go with what he's been using till the end of the playoffs, then maybe look at the new clubs again, personally.

My guess is going to be comfort. Important part of the season, take one variable out of the equation as to why things aren't going well. I'm guessing he's put them in play and played great before his rounds last weekend. I doubt a competition round would have been the first time they were in the bag.

Don't fix what ain't broke!

this makes me think of this thread. some bold statements were made on both sides of the argument. the fact that pros take time to get comfortable too tells me there's something to it, even if it is 100% mental.

• Admin
this makes me think of this thread. some bold statements were made on both sides of the argument. the fact that pros take time to get comfortable too tells me there's something to it, even if it is 100% mental.

Except for every one of them that takes time, there are dozens of others that switch the minute something comes up. See the adoption to MD3 or RTX 2.0 on wedges over the last year. Something like 20 golfers in the first week available switched.

Comfort. He can work on the new irons after the FedEx playoffs are done.

Except for every one of them that takes time, there are dozens of others that switch the minute something comes up. See the adoption to MD3 or RTX 2.0 on wedges over the last year. Something like 20 golfers in the first week available switched.

the wise blugold in that same thread questioned wedges. something to the effect of "doesn't a 56 play like a 56?" i might say that putters and wedges are the only clubs you can take out on the course almost immediately with just a few swings/strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the wise blugold in that same thread questioned wedges. something to the effect of "doesn't a 56 play like a 56?" i might say that putters and wedges are the only clubs you can take out on the course almost immediately with just a few swings/strokes.

I just used that example because the numbers were in front of me. See Apex Pro or 588 CB for it. Looks like Apex Pro/MB had 14 players switch in week 1 and all 14 stayed through their next tournament (checking to make sure that is accurate, but I believe it is).

Smart move.....glad to see this.

I'm just shocked he tried to switch first week of the playoffs. I'm sure he has plenty of down time on the near horizon to work in the new irons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Jordan Spieth Back to Old Irons

The last event was pretty much unnecessary so I'm sure he just used it as a testing session .

Hell three people didn't even show up.

I'd be willing to bet it was just a comfort thing. Even if he likes them he may just have a distance issue with them.

I'd say comfort for him, he's had such amazing success with the previous set!

I would say a bit of both. Why change what is working?

I'm shocked he switched not shocked that he went back to 714's.

Im sure it's comfort mental but no way would I switch with what's on the line. I've gamed new irons with no practice time and gamed them well as have many a thper in numerous events.

Going to say mostly comfort level. If he doesn't put them in play after the fall portion of the season then I would say it is not liking what they offer

I'm sure he had his reasons, but to me it seems absolutely crazy for him to change irons. You'd have to be pretty picky to be unhappy with the results you were getting with the old set. I don't think it means these new irons are bad, it might just mean they're different, but I do think it's absolutely insane!

I'm sure it's a little of column 'a' and a little of column 'b'.
At least that tells me that the 716 AP2s are a significant change from the 714s, something that can't always be said.

I'm sure it's a little of column 'a' and a little of column 'b'.
At least that tells me that the 716 AP2s are a significant change from the 714s, something that can't always be said.
This was my initial thought as well.

At this point I would think that if you're still in the hunt for the cup your bag would be locked.

The grass isn't greener for everyone, it's got to be a confidence and trust thing.

Smart young man imo.

I would say comfort also. I would guess he will work on the adjustment of new irons over the off-season. It kind of surprises me he even attempted to make that change at this time instead of waiting a bit for the off season.

Back