Superstroke Plus XL grip preview

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Coming in within the next week or so is the Superstroke putting grip with its countercore technology.

With the +PLUS SERIES grips, players can easily install a 50g back-weight through our proprietary threaded cap design. We call it CounterCore technology, which allows you to fine-tune feel and balance. Our patented NO TAPER grip design promotes even grip pressure, which produces a more stable, consistent, and reliable stroke.

This should be pretty fun to try and give some solid feedback on, especially for people who may be struggling or just want to improve their feel on the greens.

imgrc0065669105.jpg

Like the looks...u getting them to review?

Hmm interesting.

Are these any different than the ones they brought out last year?

Like the looks...u getting them to review?

Asked if I could do a review on this one after I purchased it. A lot of people like the benefits of the Superstroke, but I know sometimes people have had some feel issues when they switched over to it. With the ability to counterbalance it, I figured it might be worth giving it another go and seeing how it performs both with and without the 50g weight in it.

Are these any different than the ones they brought out last year?

Not sure, but I didn't see anything about them when I looked them up for feedback.

Asked if I could do a review on this one after I purchased it. A lot of people like the benefits of the Superstroke, but I know sometimes people have had some feel issues when they switched over to it. With the ability to counterbalance it, I figured it might be worth giving it another go and seeing how it performs both with and without the 50g weight in it.

Im looking forward to this one brother.

I have a one of these (Flatso 2.0 XL) on a SeeMore M1 I will be rolling this year.

I will looking forward to your review! Thanks!

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one dude. Don't rip it in half putting it on like that one guy did.

Wardy, these are the longer grips correct?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Wardy, these are the longer grips correct?

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I'll let you know when it comes in, I'll get a couple side by sides some other superstroke grips for comparison purposes

I like the idea of this. Does the XL refer to length Ward? From the pics, it appears to be a tad longer than standard.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

<edit> I skimeriffic!
JM

I'll let you know when it comes in, I'll get a couple side by sides some other superstroke grips for comparison purposes

Thanks Ward! Will you be testing with and without the weight? I'm curious about putting a CC grip on my putter, but I like short, heavy headed putters, so I don't know that CC weight is the right way to go.

Im interested. I have a fatso 5 and a slim 3 on 2 of my putters. I was debating taking off the slim 3 for a fatso 5 CC. I played around with taping a bunch of nickels on the grips and i didnt notice much/if any difference in feel. For fun I did try the same weight on the head and it felt great. Makes me want to lead tape it now.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Grip came in and I was able to take several photos as well as how to get started. I'll also try and give a bit of an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with this review. Photos and such will be in spoilers because I know how blinding it can get when trying to view threads in mobile form and you just lose everything in a big photo.

Comparison
Spoiler

D750A144-D5E9-4560-A06A-C42822A9B81E.jpg

Pictured from left to right: Ultra Slim 1.0, Mid Slim 2.0, Fatso 5.0, Slim 3.0, Plus XL

Spoiler

0153ca7e-e7de-444e-91cb-2e761ca8e89a.jpg

Plus XL vs Ultra Slim 1.0

Spoiler

6B2EB1C5-1F5E-4A17-9091-FF51257CF61E.jpg

Ultra Slim size vs Plus XL size thickness difference

Installation

Very simple. With the grip being taperless though, using just compressed air won't let the grip be 100% secure on the putter shaft. That may be a problem for some, or not noticeable for others. If it bothers you, go with the traditional method of solvent and double sided tape and you'll be just fine. Once it's on there, then worry about the weight install.

Spoiler

02A30856-9ACD-4A93-A25C-26DF19CF8810.jpg

Allen wrench based key in, unscrew cap to open the butt of the grip.

Spoiler

2A83FD6A-3120-44E4-9C99-00E2B58F82AB.jpg

6D7F7CF5-676B-41B4-8BBE-B96C71F94F50.jpg

Insert weight and tighten to secure with allen wrench tool.

Spoiler

CECDC7A1-3B80-4556-BF59-BD5D8F7E6DEA.jpg

Finished side by side comparison with another putter.

Purpose of review

Short and sweet, my putting the last several rounds has been absolute abysmal. Hitting 66% of your greens in regulation and averaging 2.06 putts per hole is pretty bad no matter how you decipher it. I'm hitting my lines, but with no idea for the speed.
I'm hoping a change can smooth things out and drop my putting average back to something respectable. More importantly, help me with those putts inside 6ft where I'm losing a ton of confidence.

With everything all gripped up and ready for my next round in a few days, feel free to ask questions now so I can do my best to answer them during/post round.

Looks good Wardy. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Was able to give this enough ample time to be able to write down a few thoughts after 7 holes on course, and another 60 minutes on nothing but the practice green.

- The added weight in the hands is definitely noticeable, yet I can still feel the putter head throughout the putting stroke. Often when you counterbalance it and add too much weight, you can overdo it and lose some of your touch and feel.

- I can feel the putter head releasing more than before. Without changing the stroke or adding hands, the ball feels like it's coming off the face a little faster. That's been good on slower greens, still a question mark on faster greens since weather and course conditions just haven't allowed that. Hopefully that changes within the next couple weeks.

- Mishit feel feels even worse with the extra weight in the hands. I'm not sure if the weight just wasn't 100% secure, but a mishit putt really vibrated and could be heard/felt up through the grip.

The biggest questions I have throughout the testing is if distance control improves, and if the grip allows for a more consistent release through the stroke so one can make sure the ball starts on the intended line. With the two of those, it really should be interesting to see if/how any improvement is noted.

With the weather improving, updates and more info should start to roll in soon.

Back