Ball Compression Chart

HandyManny

This Is Paradise
Reaction score
Hello THP

Today I heard a Bridgestone golf rep (Robby) talking about compression numbers on one of the balls they carry. I do remember hearing about this before but never knew much about it. Does anyone know the chart or scale so to say about golf ball compression? I just remember hearing about 40 so I'm not sure where that falls. Thank you

Respectfully, Manny

How do you translate this. When I look at it I can tell what balls are hard and soft but I dont really now what it all means.

The MPI™ is the Mayes Performance Index™ – a patented golf ball rating method that establishes a standard performance index for distance, spin, feel, durability, and price allowing relative comparisons of golf balls and fitting to specific golfer profiles.

So I would focus on the averages. Majestix and Atti are just two independent testers. Generally speaking, the higher the number the higher swing speed you'll need in order to compress the ball.

How do you translate this. When I look at it I can tell what balls are hard and soft but I dont really now what it all means.
Majestix and Atti are tools to measure overall compression... just look at the Avg column and disregard the MPI... MPI is just a standard rating method.

Ok I was hoping there was a way to tell what swing speed would be needed to fully compress the ball. I think that info would be as important as anything.

Ok I was hoping there was a way to tell what swing speed would be needed to fully compress the ball. I think that info would be as important as anything.
Well, it's really a two sided argument. Bridgestone is the only ball manufacturer that openly suggests ball fittings based on compression and swing speed.

Compression/feel, and results are subjective and based on the person and swing. Swing speed is not the only contributing factor to compression. A person with a steep swing will be able to easier compress a ball vs. a shallow swing. Pretty general statement I made, but it's based upon a descending vs. ascending blow.

Well, it's really a two sided argument. Bridgestone is the only ball manufacturer that openly suggests ball fittings based on compression and swing speed.

Compression/feel, and results are subjective and based on the person and swing. Swing speed is not the only contributing factor to compression. A person with a steep swing will be able to easier compress a ball vs. a shallow swing. Pretty general statement I made, but it's based upon a descending vs. ascending blow.

What he said...

I agree with this... I think compressing a ball has as much to do with SS as it does with how you contact the ball.

That explains a lot to me. I have a swing speed that in the mid to low 90's for my driver and I have been told I am crazy to use the Pro V1x but I have compared it to numerous other balls and it is consistently the longest ball I hit. I have a steep swing, however, so now I understand how I am getting the most out of that ball.

Interesting note: Titleist claims that compression vs. swing speed fitting is basically a myth and that there is little correlation between distance and ball compression. Choosing a low or high compression ball is all based on feel preferences of the player. I am halfway convinced that this is true. However dimple patterns that promote a low or high trajectory probably would influence distance for different players.

I think that chart is extremely interesting, man I've been playing some rocks!

Great reference. Funny, several balls I play seem to have the same or similar compression. Now I know why I like them.

That explains a lot to me. I have a swing speed that in the mid to low 90's for my driver and I have been told I am crazy to use the Pro V1x but I have compared it to numerous other balls and it is consistently the longest ball I hit. I have a steep swing, however, so now I understand how I am getting the most out of that ball.

My swing speed is lower than yours but I'm also finding out that the Pro V1 works better for me (I also have a steep swing). Since I've got a GC2 to play with, last night I compared the 2 Pro V1s I had in my bag (lost balls I found the last round I played in the Fall) with my "gamers" (Precept Laddie / Wilson 50/50). I not only don't lose distance, my dispersion is much better and I like the feel better when I putt. Considering the Titleist balls were already "old balls" and the Precepts and Wilsons were new, I plan to pick up a sleeve each of V1 & V1x and continue testing. Like ZenGolfer said, dimple patterns may also make a difference.

I'm becoming convinced that Titleist is right, a quality ball is ball is worth playing, if you really want to improve your game. I don't see how it can hurt (except in your budget - lol).

Just my opinion and I don't have any facts to back it up except my own experience, but I believe compression doesn't matter a whole lot unless your swing speed is very slow or very fast. Those of us with around a 90mph speed have a lot of choices that will give us good results. I think most balls are made to perform well for the average golfer because that's where the most money is. So it would make sense to cater to the 85-95mph range. If someone buys a box of ProV1's and is always 20 yards behind his playing partners, he isn't likely to buy another one. So I think that while getting the perfect compression for your swing would be ideal to give the best distance, it isn't all that important to the average golfer. Any ball out there has the potential to work for your game unless you severely under or over compress it.

Quality can be a relative term. The E series are quality balls, along with just about every popular ball that you find recommended on here. Now I agree that a good ball will help everyones game but the fact a ball is expensive does not make it a strong ball for the average golfer hitting up around 100.

Quality can be a relative term. The E series are quality balls, along with just about every popular ball that you find recommended on here. Now I agree that a good ball will help everyones game but the fact a ball is expensive does not make it a strong ball for the average golfer hitting up around 100.

100 is only the internet average.:alien:

Resurrecting this....I stumbled across the chart looking for compression comparisons for the new callaway supersoft and found this info fascinating. Is there an updated chart available? Some popular balls, like the Q-star, are not on this chart (perhaps they weren't tested though).

Interesting note: Titleist claims that compression vs. swing speed fitting is basically a myth and that there is little correlation between distance and ball compression. Choosing a low or high compression ball is all based on feel preferences of the player. I am halfway convinced that this is true. However dimple patterns that promote a low or high trajectory probably would influence distance for different players.

Wilson Staff say the same thing...interesting.

Hoping for some more input.

Back