Do people play 1 and 2 irons anymore?

NOt me, never have and never will

I have a 3I, I swung it a few times for laughs then stopped.

Hehe, always nice to have a good time on the golf course! I had a ping Eye something #1. Remember that I had to hit it really aggressive and also hit it absolutely pure. Otherwise it was dooooiiiing and pain in the hands. No such thing to just sweep it 220 without effort (like hybrids).

I had a 2i in my bag about 25 years ago - on a flat, dry course it was handy to have. I still carry a 1i, but it's also known as a putter.

Personally I would rather use a hybrid, but if a 2i suits your game, by all means carry one.

Hey guys, thinking about getting a 1 and 2 iron to complete my set. Right now I have 1, 3, 5 woods and 3-SW, so including the putter I am at 13 clubs now. Would adding the 1 and 2 iron, combined with losing one of the fairway woods, I would still be within the club limit. Does it make sense? I could go with a hybrid, but the whole retro Eye 2 set seems pretty cool. Not sure I want to ruin that lol.

Anyone still using 1s and 2s anymore?

Looking at your setup, you say 3-SW, but counting clubs, I'm guessing you go right from PW to SW which looking online goes from a 50.5* to 57.5*. As others have said, gaping is about distance and not loft, so I'd look at how well your gaps are spaced at the bottom of the bag because it sounds like you've got them pretty well covered at the top. If it were me, I'd look into a 54* wedge instead of a 2i, but again, golf is about personal preference so it's up to you.

I have a cleveland 2i in my storage bag. I pull it out from time to time to see how my swing is. I couldnt imagine carrying a 2 or 3 iron. Heck ive replaced my 4 iron. Again everyone is different but id rather have a hybrid then a 2 iron, especially on mis hits... ouch

It seems there was an article in Golf magazine a year or so ago about the return of driving irons. Some of which were hybri irons. I could see using one on a tight course with lots of wind. My father inlaw bought one a decade ago while on vacation. Several holes required a straight tee shot thru a chute of trees into a narrow fairway and he was playing a big hook at the time. I think the course stocked them and sold them to players struggling that way. He would hit a 3/4 punch that would roll all day. He's a lefty so I've never hit it.

Personally I don't hit an iron below my 5i and its often to punch out of trouble.

I still have my 1996 Callaway Big Bertha 1 Iron. There was a time (was in my 20's back then!) when I could rip the heck out of this club. It was such a consistent fairway finder for me. Occassionally I'll bring it out and it's such a forgiving club I can still hit it straight but not to the distances I once saw.

Here comes the Dinosaur lol. I love my 2 Iron, it has more usefulness to me than a Hybrid, I can keep it low under trees, I can use it to tee off with a stinger type shot, A nice long high cut, whatever I need I can do it with it. The problem I have with a hybrid is it is not very pleasant to look at, I have one and only used it once on a course with Freddie. I will eventually conform and go to the hybrid but not until it's 100% necessary. The Dinosaur will now go back in the cave.

Gave you tried a new utility club Trout?

I've never been one to try and flight golf balls, but is it really that hard to do with a hybrid?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gave you tried a new utility club Trout?

I've never been one to try and flight golf balls, but is it really that hard to do with a hybrid?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

For me it is, I can't keep them low when I want it or need it.

I have a 15° 1-Iron I hit time from time. I use to practice trajectory. It's a 2i bent to 1i.

YEARS ago I had a Ping Eye2 1-iron. When I hit it flush it would go around 200 yards - most of the yardage being roll. I used it when I played a certain course with my golf league - the wind was always in our face and it was a short, narrow, par 4. Even when I didn't hit it great, it would go 165 yards or so into the wind. Hybrids are so much easier and versatile.

I can honestly say I haven't hit a 1 or 2 iron since I played around in my father's golf bag over 25 years ago. For those that do...more power to you. Can I get a swing if we ever play together to relive some memories?

I wouldn't dream of actually playing a 1 or 2 iron right now, considering that the longest iron I even own is a 4 iron and I don't really ever play it. But I'd kinda like to hit a 1 iron sometime, just to see if I could get it up in the air at all. I read somewhere that they don't really work as well as they were originally intended now, because the balata balls responded much differently and thus were easier to elevate with a low lofted iron.

Most don't, I know I don't. There really, IMO, is no reason to have one with hybrids on the market that are easier to hit and go the same distance. I've tried to hit my Dad's old 1 and 2 irons in the past, with very little well hit balls. Granted we are talking about a Ben Hogan 1 iron with a sweet spot the size of a dime as best.

Does anybody even make a 1 or 2 iron anymore? I know the utility/driving irons are around, but I haven't seen an actual set matching 1 iron in years.

I haven't seen a newish model 1 iron before, but Nike made 2 irons for their previous set of VR Blades/Combo set.

I used to have a 2i more than 25 years and many club head mph ago. I had my Tommy Amour 845 2i-LW with no AW. I, too, used it for low running tee shots on hard fairways and on windy days. It ran forever! I also used it on par 5s that had open fronts to the greens. Now my 4i goes farther (and straighter!) and much higher. I really don't use my 4i very much except on windy days. My 5W does much better for me.

I have a 17* iron that I used a lot before getting a fairway wood which is easier to hit. it comes down to wind for me as the iron flies much lower than the fairway wood. If I am heading out into windy conditions, the iron may make a debut out on the course. It is not a club I can go green hunting with, but neither is my fairway wood. It all comes down how well you can hit the long iron, distance gaps and wind.

Lofts have been slowly decreasing over the years (depending on manufacturer), so the 3-iron you game is possibly the same loft a 1 or 2 iron was 20 years ago.

Lofts have been slowly decreasing over the years (depending on manufacturer), so the 3-iron you game is possibly the same loft a 1 or 2 iron was 20 years ago.

Yeah I have a 3 iron that has the same loft as older tour irons. 18º. The rocketbladez 3 iron is actually pretty easy to hit, I find it quite forgiving. I had both it and a hybrid for a while and got rid of the hybrid because I had better accuracy with the iron.

I don't currently have one. I used to, long and long ago, carry a 1 iron. Definitely a single purpose club for me, I couldn't hit that from the fairway at all. Good for low screaming tee shots and very little else. Weighed a ton, if memory served. Think it was given to me by an uncle who probably laughed himself sick.
I've looked at the Callaway Utility clubs, and those seem far easier to hit than the old clubs. I'm still sticking with a hybrid because of the versatility. I can't see hitting even today's versions from rough of any sort.

And I'm another one who simply cannot flight a hybrid down. I miss that, but I can always hood a 4 or punch a 3w. Close enough.

I also have an old Big Bertha 1 iron. Bought it about 20 years ago real cheap.

I can hit it 250 yards straight off of a tee. Only able to hit it off the fairway with a perfect lie.

About 15 years ago, it was replaced with an Adams Tight Lies.

Now days it is hybrids for that spot in the bag.

The hybrid is long/straight off of the tee, hits well in the fairway, the rough, tight lies, even awkward chips onto the green.

I keep the 1 iron around in case someone ever says they would like to hit one.

JAckal.

I also have an old Big Bertha 1 iron. Bought it about 20 years ago real cheap.

I can hit it 250 yards straight off of a tee. Only able to hit it off the fairway with a perfect lie.

About 15 years ago, it was replaced with an Adams Tight Lies.

Now days it is hybrids for that spot in the bag.

The hybrid is long/straight off of the tee, hits well in the fairway, the rough, tight lies, even awkward chips onto the green.

I keep the 1 iron around in case someone ever says they would like to hit one.

JAckal.

Or you can pretend you use it regularly ;-)

Thanks for all the replies. You can learn an awful lot reading these forums! Looking at my bag setup... 1, 3, 5 woods, and 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, SW what would think might make sense, given the lofts these Eye 2's have? Is there a natural club you might consider adding? You can definitely argue that getting rid of the 3 and 4 iron for hybrids would help, but assuming I wanted to keep what I have, what one club might you add to my bag? Do I even need one, or does this seem like decent coverage up and down?

Now, if we ARE talking replacing clubs, I might consider replacing the driver with a G25. But if I started down that road I am going to end up with a new set!

Here comes the Dinosaur lol. I love my 2 Iron, it has more usefulness to me than a Hybrid, I can keep it low under trees, I can use it to tee off with a stinger type shot, A nice long high cut, whatever I need I can do it with it. The problem I have with a hybrid is it is not very pleasant to look at, I have one and only used it once on a course with Freddie. I will eventually conform and go to the hybrid but not until it's 100% necessary. The Dinosaur will now go back in the cave.

You're not the 1st person I've ever played a round with that had a 2 iron, but you're the only one that could actually hit it well.

I have never played either and don't plan on it with hybrids and 5wds being as good as they are

Back