Grip tape question....

kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Good morning. Let me start off by saying I've gripped , regripped, removed and reusued, more than my fair share of grips. I always use double sided tape and mineral spirits. Never tried air, but will someday.

Anyways, I usually get my tape at Golfsmith or Golfworks. I found a shaft I was wanting to buy on another site, and I was running low on double sided tape so I decided to get some from there as well.

Anyways, this tape is different. It seems when I install the grip, all the adhesive is removed after I apply the mineral spirits and pushed to the top of the grip that I have to wipe off. This never happened to the other grip tapes I've used in the past. Also, these grips seem "thinner". The part you pull off is also "shiney and slick" whereas the ones I've used in the past have a masking tape type texture.

My question is, will these grips have a tendency to slip? I mean, I'm pretty anal when it comes to making sure the grips don't twist.

Thanks

Is it like the tape you see on OEM clubs when you pull a grip?

I don't understand, put I will pm you the grip tape that I bought.

If you look at some OEM clubs when you pull the grip, you'll notice a slicker tape that is different than the Masking Tape type stuff. Usually thinner as well.

Yeah. Looks similar.

The main reason I asked is I regripped a new ladies Adams Super S Hybrid with a new Pink I line, and that thing is slipping like crazy. I think the shaft is a lot thinner than normal though.

Yea maybe need to go undersize?

The pink I lines are undesized

Weird. Maybe build up an extra wrap or two.

I've had this happen before when I bought some pre-cut tape strips once. I think its a cheaper or more reactive adhesive involved. Never affected performance or caused any grip slippage issues but was a mess to clean up. As long as the grip is tight on there after about 30-60 minutes of drying, not much to worry about. The excess adhesive can be cleaned up with grip solvent if needed.

You try using water instead of spirits to install?

I know I've seen several different tapes being on different OEM clubs. Wilson for example is almost clear and very thin but holds well.

My local Golfsmith was out once and I bought some from PGA SS and it was more like the OEM tape, ordered tape from Golfsmith online and tossed the PGA SS tape. There is a difference in the tape that's for sure. The Golfsmith tape is a bit thicker which can make the grip feel a bit bigger.

Back