Removing and Installing Grips

I do it the old fashioned way. I cut the old grips off, since the reason I'm doing it is because they are worn out. I really don't try new grip materials. I like Golf Pride Tour Wraps and so I just replace them with the same. I use double sided grip tape and solvent. Takes about 6 minutes a club, so I don't see that as particularly onerous. I have no other really use for a compressor, so it seems like a rather large outlay just to potentially save a few minutes.

I do it the old fashioned way. I cut the old grips off, since the reason I'm doing it is because they are worn out. I really don't try new grip materials. I like Golf Pride Tour Wraps and so I just replace them with the same. I use double sided grip tape and solvent. Takes about 6 minutes a club, so I don't see that as particularly onerous. I have no other really use for a compressor, so it seems like a rather large outlay just to potentially save a few minutes.

I agree. I like the tour wraps and I have yet to be able to save one of them with air. I end up just cutting them and they cut off easily. I blew a NDMC up a couple weeks ago, it was not fun. I then just decided to buy a new one and I think my days of trying to save grips are over, it's just not worth it.

I'm old school as well. I still use the 3/4" tape and do the wrap around style. I use Brampton now day to install but keep solvent around for removal jobs. I played last summer with a guy who blew on his grips and I think it was his 7 iron that he hit and the club went further than the ball with the grip still in his hands. I'll pass on that.

I played last summer with a guy who blew on his grips and I think it was his 7 iron that he hit and the club went further than the ball with the grip still in his hands. I'll pass on that.
That's interesting. Was it wet out? SUPER humid? Bare metal/no tape?

I've blown on grips for a couple years now, probably 3 or 4 sets along with changing grips from single clubs I acquire. I think I've had one that slipped out of all those. Pure grips, Dri-tacs, NDMCs, REL 3 Gens, Cheapo rubber wraps, with masking tape, painters tape, and still, only one I can remember slipped and that was only the top 1/2.

I just re-gripped my entire bag and two of Just_Hacking's clubs the other night with air, no glue, so I guess we'll see down the road.

I've blown on grips for a couple years now, probably 3 or 4 sets along with changing grips from single clubs I acquire. I think I've had one that slipped out of all those. Pure grips, Dri-tacs, NDMCs, REL 3 Gens, Cheapo rubber wraps, with masking tape, painters tape, and still, only one I can remember slipped and that was only the top 1/2.

I just re-gripped my entire bag and two of Just_Hacking's clubs the other night with air, no glue, so I guess we'll see down the road.

Have no idea. It was warm, but not super hot. I'm sure there was tape on the shaft.

Trying to save my buddies super stroke and it is proving very difficult

I agree. I like the tour wraps and I have yet to be able to save one of them with air. I end up just cutting them and they cut off easily. I blew a NDMC up a couple weeks ago, it was not fun. I then just decided to buy a new one and I think my days of trying to save grips are over, it's just not worth it.

I'm old school as well. I still use the 3/4" tape and do the wrap around style. I use Brampton now day to install but keep solvent around for removal jobs. I played last summer with a guy who blew on his grips and I think it was his 7 iron that he hit and the club went further than the ball with the grip still in his hands. I'll pass on that.

I have been installing grips with air for over a year and have never had one come off, of course I use 3 wraps of painters tape to bring them to up in diameter and that may be the reason. Also in answer to Deuce I always set my air compressor at 40 lbs and use it to blow my grips on. I rarely try to save grips and I have never been able to save a cord grip that was put on with tape and solvent. I have used the paper towel tube as a protector when the grips act like they want to bubble, never had one explode but when they bubble it is scary, it is a rare thing but I have thought about cutting a piece of PVC just for that extra protection. Also like Mward I use short bursts of air to apply the grips and it is pretty easy.

The main thing I like about air is the speed but the second best thing about using air is there is no solvent or mineral spirit smell after installation.

I remove all my grips except wrap type with an air compressor. The wrap type dont do too well being removed that way in my experience.
I use the air gun and cone tip nebgolfer pictured, squirt some solvent in the butt end of the grip, secure the club in the vice and put an 1 1/4" pvc pipe section over the grip to prevent blow out. Using bursts of air the grip will loosen and pull with one motion it should slide off.

I've never had luck saving one of those that had been put on with solvent and grip tape. I always use air and painters tape on my putter grips, since I change those out (experiment) much more frequently than my irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it with a wire coat hanger. Just have to add an extra wrap on the bottom of the grip to make up for any wiggle that you may have stretched into the grip. Also, any extra tape that stays in the grip can be scraped out with a thin soft-wire brush.

I usually cut off my old grips, but like I said in the OP, these Winn Dri-Tac oversized grips are pretty much brand spanking new and I'd like to save them for a friend of mine. Since I have access to syringes and needles, I may try to inject solvent underneath the grip and see if they can be pulled off in that matter. I know that is how Dick's does it, so I'll give it a shot.

For me, a compressor is not an outlay as I have one in my garage that goes along with my nail guns. No harm in it serving double duty as I usually don't have too many things laying around the house that need a regular dose of the nail gun. Thanks for the tips folks ... once Lamkin comes out with the Wrap-Tech's in midsize I'm going to give this a go ... hopefully only a week or two more.

I have been installing grips with air for over a year and have never had one come off, of course I use 3 wraps of painters tape to bring them to up in diameter and that may be the reason. Also in answer to Deuce I always set my air compressor at 40 lbs and use it to blow my grips on. I rarely try to save grips and I have never been able to save a cord grip that was put on with tape and solvent. I have used the paper towel tube as a protector when the grips act like they want to bubble, never had one explode but when they bubble it is scary, it is a rare thing but I have thought about cutting a piece of PVC just for that extra protection. Also like Mward I use short bursts of air to apply the grips and it is pretty easy.

The main thing I like about air is the speed but the second best thing about using air is there is no solvent or mineral spirit smell after installation.

Is three wraps with blue painters tape the same as regular two sided tape ?

It seems to be slightly larger, I don't have a micrometer to check it out though.

The blue painters tape I checked mic'd out at 0.004". Three wraps will add 0.024" to the thickness of the butt end.

I use coat hanger to loosen it, put the solvent in there to get it all the way through if you can. Now before you blow the grip off. I use a 1" pvc about a foot long to keep the grip from blowing up. Other than that, just blow and pull the grip off.

Is there any difference in removing and installing a putter grip? I've done wedges, woods and irons, but never a putter.

Is there any difference in removing and installing a putter grip? I've done wedges, woods and irons, but never a putter.

They don't always fit in the Pure Grip gun as easily but usually turning the adapter upside down fixes that. I haven't had too much difficulty except for larger Superstroke grips. Those are dumb .

Blew up my first grip today when I was regripping my clubs. I had only used the air method once before and it went smooth. Maybe got a little to aggressive today on the first one. 40 psi is definitely enough and short bursts is the way to go. Lesson learned.

I was trying to introduce this method to my Dad and needless to say he wasn't impressed with the air method. He'll continue the tape and solvent method.

Is a table vice an absolute necessity when installing new grips or can you get by without one?

I have never used a vice. Just make sure you use a lot of solvent or lighter fluid on the inside of the grip.

I have never used a vice. Just make sure you use a lot of solvent or lighter fluid on the inside of the grip.
Thanks Scrap. Didn't think you did them yourself.

Thanks Scrap. Didn't think you did them yourself.

It's easy. I use lighter fluid and put a good amount on the tape and a lot inside the grip and swish it around for a bit. I got stuck half way down once when rushing it and it sucked. More solvent the better.

I've saw a few people use a C clamp and a rubber shaft clamp that comes in the grip kits. Just clamp it to the table top. I have installed a few myself without the club being clamped. Like said above just use a generous amount of solvent. Also something I find helpful is to use a rag or towel to hold the grip while installing. Just get the end started on and push it on there fast. As long as it is relatively straight they're pretty easy to adjust once on there before the solvent starts to dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back