Unwanted hole in one?

The course I was a member at previously, if you hit one during one of their tournaments, they would run your bar tab up tremendously. That's the only time I would hope I didn't get one.

I'd be happy to pay it for a hole in one. I would love to have a hole in one anyway I could get it. It's been 20 years since I made my only one.

That is the only downside. But would you rather have gotten the hole in one, or not gotten it? No ifs ands or buts, straight up. Do you wish you hadn't gotten it? Yes or no! My answer would always be no!
I still want it!

By the way: we have insurance for the bartab, comes with the handicap-registration. (I think it's up to €500). The day I hit mine there where exactly four people on the course :X

Shoot...I'm happy to get a hole in 3 on most par 3's. (... okay 4)

I guess part of why I don't want one playing alone is that when you tell people you've had one but were playing alone, people would be like "Sure you did bubba, sure........."
At least playing with someone there's a witness, lol

And unless that witness is there to veirfy every time you tell the story...

I'll take an ace anytime, no matter who is with me (or not). If I know I got it legit then I could care less if anyone believes me. I'd probably only be bragging to my close golfing friends anyway. (And THP of course!)

Look at it this way. You don't have to buy a round of drinks for your party at the 19th hole.

I'll take the hole in one...and then sit and wait for the next group to come along so they can witness me pulling it out of the cup.

I can't believe anyone would not want a hole in one.

And I can tell you right now that I am not buying drinks for the clubhouse when/if it happens. Maybe that's why I haven't ever gotten one and why I might never get one. I would get one for the group, but not for the course, that's ridiculous!

I wouldn't ever not want one, but the one I do have is under circumstances such that I always feel it necessary to add the caveat to any story I tell about it.

The caveat?

It was on a 4 hole par 3 course at the driving range I used to basically live at as a kid. Was 110yds still but it just doesn't feel like it really counts sometimes being that it wasn't during a "real" round of golf.

Sent from my ADR6300

I can relate to your feeling. Never really been too close to a hole in one, but last year I was playing by myself one night after work and hit one of the best second shots into a par 5 of my life. It was pretty in the air and dropped right next to the cup for a kick in eagle. I kept looking around hoping there was someone watching just to give a head nod or thumbs up. Even though I knew I wasn't, it felt like exaggerating when I had to tell the story to my brother the next day.

I haev mixed emotions on this subject.... besides the big bar tabs excuse I almost made a hole in one that would have changed my life and I am glad it didnt go in. I was playing at Doral on the Blue Monster when I was 14 at a tournament with my dad and I knocked one off the flag stick on number 9. The prize for a Hole in One was $25K. At the time there was really no creative way to get the prize without losing amateur status. I sometimes sit back and ponder what could of happened if that went in. The biggest thing would have been not playing college golf and having some fo the best friendships I have today. 25K would have been awesome but no amount of money would have replaced the awesome times I had in four years playing at a very high level and the friendships and memories I have today.

I agree with the OP, it would be a huge letdown to make a HOI and have no one to witness it. IMO, it is kinda the same with playing alone. I get that people want to play and may not have partners/ groups available, but it is not the same when there is no one to attest your scores.

Back