Why No Love For the Mizuno JPX-850 Driver

Jumpalot

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing the Bio Cell + now for about a year and have loved it. Struggle with too much spin and this was the first driver that got me below 3000 rpm. Had a chance to demo the new Mizuno and can't believe it. I put the weights in the heel and toe, which is supposed to be the lowest spin and launch setting. Having both drivers set at 9.5*, I launch the Mizuno about a degree lower and spin 100-150 rpm less. The best part is how much more forgiving it is. I alternated hitting the drivers every shot and also tried hitting 5 each before switching. My bad drives with the Mizuno were farther then most of drives with the Cobra. Now I have a problem. The Cobra has been very, very good for me and I wasn't really looking to buy a new one. But, the Mizuno is just better for me (at least on two separate days). Just wondering if I've missed something. Hard to give up a tried and true club.

THP's staff writer Canadan did a homepage review on it: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/mizuno-jpx-850-driver-review/

Additionally, there is a discussion thread here with a lot of very varied feedback and opinion: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?67436-Mizuno-JPX-850-Driver-THP-Review

Seems to be a pretty hit and miss head for most, but with a concensus that they are finally on the right direction with their metal woods. I know that is how I felt about the fairway I reviewed.

Other than the ones that have come in the mail to me for reviews and any I've seen at THP Demo Days, I don't think I've seen a single Mizuno metalwood in stores. Hard to love what you can't hit.

I hit this on a launch monitor and really liked it. My #'s were better with about 3 other drivers that day though. Loved the head shape and the blue was pretty cool but just didn't preform as well for me.

I've been playing the Bio Cell + now for about a year and have loved it. Struggle with too much spin and this was the first driver that got me below 3000 rpm. Had a chance to demo the new Mizuno and can't believe it. I put the weights in the heel and toe, which is supposed to be the lowest spin and launch setting. Having both drivers set at 9.5*, I launch the Mizuno about a degree lower and spin 100-150 rpm less. The best part is how much more forgiving it is. I alternated hitting the drivers every shot and also tried hitting 5 each before switching. My bad drives with the Mizuno were farther then most of drives with the Cobra. Now I have a problem. The Cobra has been very, very good for me and I wasn't really looking to buy a new one. But, the Mizuno is just better for me (at least on two separate days). Just wondering if I've missed something. Hard to give up a tried and true club.

Not a lot of places to demo this driver that I have found, which might play a big factor. That and mizuno doesn't have the greatest track record with drivers. The THP van might have one on those driver demo days, but that's all I know of honestly. from what I have seen (mostly the youtube reviewers) there is a lot of love for the 850 driver and a couple of them have said it's the dark horse driver of the year, but again there isn't a lot of marketing for it and there aren't many places to try it.

Other than the ones that have come in the mail to me for reviews and any I've seen at THP Demo Days, I don't think I've seen a single Mizuno metalwood in stores. Hard to love what you can't hit.

^ This

I was really interested in trying this driver out months ago, but they still don't have any woods at my local Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy, but they have a completely fully stocked iron cart at both places...it's bizarre.

I hit this thing at Club Champion and then also at my local shop and I LOVE it. Great numbers and great feel. Obviously it's different for everyone, but I think Mizuno got it right with this thing.

I really liked it. On the monitor it and the alpha 815 performed similar so there was no reason for me to purchase since already had the 815.
I honestly believe if the Mizuno said Callaway or TM on it, it would be a big seller. But like others have said it's hard to find in stores so that limits it's sales.

I just think a lot of people have overlooked the Mizuno for some of the other brands' new offerings. I've hit a lot of different drivers over the last few years and not one was significantly better then the others. But the Cobra was better then the rest even against the new offerings this year, except for the Mizuno. I'm heading to the shop now to try the Fly Z + against the Mizuno. It's the only other driver I haven't had a chance to try.

I hit it on Saturday at a demo day at my local range and really liked it. Awesome adjustability, sound, feel and distance.

hit one at a fitting and it was ok. Nothing earth shattering results wise compared to other models. As a fan of mizuno irons i have been disappointed in what they have offered in their drivers and woods. this driver has them moving in the right direction and i think some people will enjoy playing this.

Hit it against the Fly Z+ today. About the same in distance, spin and launch. Longest drives were with the Mizuno though. Was a little more consistent too. The thing I noticed with the Mizuno is that I get the longest, straightest drives from a nice controlled swing. Yeah, I know, that's true with every driver. But, when I do it with the Mizuno, it really gets it out there. Same swing with the Fly Z + and Bio Cell Plus are not as long. Thinking really hard about this. Have the driver in the bag to try out on the course in the next few days. I'll see if it's just a launch monitor queen.

^ This

I was really interested in trying this driver out months ago, but they still don't have any woods at my local Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy, but they have a completely fully stocked iron cart at both places...it's bizarre.

I asked the sale guys at both GS & GG ( I work by both stores) discreetly during a low and they said, "they don't sell. No stocking things that won't sell".

^ This

Same here. My dad just picked up the JPX-850's and instantly fell in love. He wanted to try the woods, but was annoyed and disappointed when he found that they weren't an option to hit.

It's a good driver. I was getting solid carry numbers on track man but never hit it outside.

It's a darn good driver. Looks great, feels great and is a solid consistent performer. One of the best current drivers out in my opinion.

Why No Love For the Mizuno JPX-850 Driver

I demo'd one before buying my BBA. I really wanted to like it... tons of settings to play with and beautiful blue head was nice to look at address. But ultimately (for me) it wasn't confidence inspiring or forgiving enough. I had to loft up to the max to get anything decent ball flight wise. It was definitely solid on centered hits but just too low spin for me. I'd never hit so many knuckle balls on the range.

Back