The one hole you regularly play that eats your lunch?

Dgvillere

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Everyone has one, their home course, or a course you play regularly, that one hole where you would write down bogey if you could with a smile on your face and not even have to torture yourself by playing it.

For or me it's Eagle Pointe just east of baytown 6th hole and yes it's the #1 handicap hole plays about 430 from the tips on a 90 degree dogleg left elevated fairway that slopes right to left and down to water which runs the length of the entire hole, if you drive too far thru the fairway you're blocked by trees, and your approach shot has water and trees left right and behind a turtle back green that runs away from you no matter where you are.

Id take 5 and run like hell on this hole if I could, and 7 isn't much easier. Survive these two and you can get a good front 9
image-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

#15 (#1 hcp) at my home track, River Valley Ranch. Its a 460yd par 4 with a split fairway at 290. In between the split is sage brush and boulder. No long drive here forcing a 190-220yd approach to a narrow green with OB immediately to the left and back of the green. usually bogey or worse here with a few pars and only one good birdie opportunity. tough, tough hole.

#10 at my home course. In many attempts, I have only carded par once. The blue tee (one up from the back) is only 406 - par 4. There is water short and left that really isn't in play. There is water long and right that definitely is in play for most people, as the fairway slopes that direction and downhill. With a tailwind it's not difficult to roll a drive into the water. the elevated green is surrounded by two bunkers left and more of that water right. Somewhat narrow green but still very inviting. The smart play here for me would be to hit 3W off the tee, then lay up to short of the green and pitch on for a par attempt. I can't ever seem to do that though and have put more balls in that pond than anywhere else on the course.

It's the #2 HCP hole for this course but I find it far more difficult than the #1 (long uphill par 5). I think the water risk off the tee and on the second shot really gets into my head.

Oh man there are a couple, I need to think about this one.

Good thread idea.

420 yard (or at least that's what they say) par 4. Slight incline all the way up to the green. Fairway is always damp so never any roll out on the drive. My typical well hit drive still leaves me about 180 in. Large bunker guards the front of a not very deep green. Balls over the green end up about 20 yards from the green due to being downhill off the back fo the green. The forced carry off of the tee goes about 150 straight away or 200 if you go a little left. #2 handicap hole on my course. The #1 handicap hole is not a walk in the park but it is not a hard for me.

410 par 4 that plays drastically up hill. There's a drop off right and trees left off the tee. The green slopes drastically back to front.

I can just never seem yo get the second shot right. Think I've only made par a hand full of times and have never birdied it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There's a long Par 3 at a course that I usually play that's just a beast. It usually plays between 210 and 220, and the prevailing wind is typically into you. The hole also plays slightly uphill. I'm usually playing a 225 shot and hoping for the best.

The green is raised and has a really steep face on the front and left. If you're short or left, you have a really difficult pitch for your next shot. There's also a deep bunker short left that is a coffin. The green also has a lot of undulation, and putting is an adventure if you're not on the correct tier.

The play for this hole is to aim at the right half of the green and hope you get there. If you miss right, you'll be close to the same elevation as the green, making an easier chip/pitch. Par is an excellent score on this hole. Bogey is certainly acceptable.

Number 15 at the course I play most often (Chatata Valley Golf Course) is a 418 yard par 4 dogleg left. The tee shot is uphill with trees to the left, a lone bunker and tall fescue to the right. Even if I hit a nice drive out to the middle of the dogleg, I am left with 180-190 even more uphill to a sloping green with bunkers on each side. Even once you get on the green, there really isn't a flat spot to put a pin, so the adventure isn't over. I mostly play in scrambles out there, and even with a scramble format, the average score is over par on that hole. If I'm playing solo, a bogey is an awesome score.

There's a long Par 3 at a course that I usually play that's just a beast. It usually plays between 210 and 220, and the prevailing wind is typically into you. The hole also plays slightly uphill. I'm usually playing a 225 shot and hoping for the best.

The green is raised and has a really steep face on the front and left. If you're short or left, you have a really difficult pitch for your next shot. There's also a deep bunker short left that is a coffin. The green also has a lot of undulation, and putting is an adventure if you're not on the correct tier.

The play for this hole is to aim at the right half of the green and hope you get there. If you miss right, you'll be close to the same elevation as the green, making an easier chip/pitch. Par is an excellent score on this hole. Bogey is certainly acceptable.

Was this the second hole at the Heritage Links course we played a few months ago? If so, I remember it being fairly narrow to the green with OB up the entire left side, which is where I ended up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, I can think of an entire course that kills me every time I play it. White Clay Creek in Newark, DE. It's a tough course with a lot of forced carries and pitched greens, as well as awkward lines to the green. It's a nice course and isn't overly difficult, it just gas my number. When I'm playing well, I go there to see if I can have a good round, but nope. This place has my number.

I will say I came within a millimeter of an eagle on the Ninth with one of the best PW's I've hit to a blind green. So I have that going for me.

Was this the second hole at the Heritage Links course we played a few months ago? If so, I remember it being fairly narrow to the green with OB up the entire left side, which is where I ended up.

Yep. That's the hole. It's a beast.

Mentioned it before, but #5(par 5) on my course is either a par or a at least a bogey, usually more.

Tee shot is a big uphill, dogleg left. Looking at the picture below, you'd aim for the bunker and turn the ball like a crazy person around all the trees to your left.
The green circle is Position A (230-250yds) and I'd bet people are in it only about 20% of the time. Most shots end up just past that bunker in the rough right of that lone pine.
IF you're in Position A, it's still a tough downhill from about 245 to a green that slopes off badly behind and left. And if you're snuggled up next to that lone pine, you now have a fade shot you must take to get around the next row of trees. And if you're in that bailout rough, it's definitely either a big slice shot or a 7 iron to a left-sloping fairway just to get to the 100 yd marker.
Three fairway bunkers edge up against those woods on the left (unseen here). That area is marked as habitat area (blue staked) and I have seen a thousand people hit balls somewhere in there.
Tee shot is key. If it's not good, good second shot is mandatory in getting to the green in three. Green is very slick and if you miss left or long, you're in trouble.

Looks easy on paper, in fact, it's not handicapped in the top 5, although everyone I know hates this hole. Some point-of-view shots would make you a believer.

16fae77d-8c25-44c2-929f-ce24f210f730_zpsd7a7944a.png

cherokee1_zps017d4fa9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This innocent looking hole is #1 on our Cherokee nine (pic taken from the ladies tee; men's tees are 100 yards back from there). It is a shortish par 4 uphill dog leg right, very steep on the approach to a very shallow green with a false front. What can barely be seen straight away is the top of one of two bunkers that catch drives that go through the fairway. The real target is cutting the corner toward the far bunker that can be seen half way up the slope on the right. That bunker is out of reach, and a tee shot on that line will land you in the middle of the fairway. Push it right and you're out of bounds. Hook it left and you're down a steep mountainside that cannot be seen in this picture. From the ideal position it the fairway, you have a short iron to a severely elevated green. It is so shallow, front to back, that even with short irons it is tough to hold this hard surfaced green. If you hit on the very front, the ball will usually come back down the steep hill some 40 yards. If you are long, there is tall, thick, tundra type grass and boulders just 10 yards behind the green (generally unplayable). Even balls that hit the back of the green will often make into trouble. Two precise shots and you start your day feeling giddy. More often, any slight miss and you start with bogey or worse, and in a very bad mood. I'm generally in a very bad mood when we start on this nine.

No 17 at The Heritage Club. It's a 454 yd par 4 with a dogleg right, there are bunkers straight out at about 220 that are very penal and OB right if you get too greedy and try to cut the corner too much. Your second shot is a mid to long iron depending on how you hit your drive and there's a big ole oak the protects the green on the left about 90yds out. I have played this hole probably 30 or 40 times and have parred it maybe a dozen times, birdied it twice and have had several others on it. brutal hole that has my number.

The 18th hole on the Mountain Course at Mirror Lake Golf Club. 458/407/375 Par 4. The black mark is about 150 yards from the green. The blue mark is about 200 yards from the green. A good drive will get you to the 150 however, you can see how the fairway narrows there. Anything left off the tee finds the water. A bad drive, which I usually hit on this hole due to anxiety, leaves me about 180 out. The green is large, in fact the largest on all 36 holes here, but there is always wind down on the lake.

I'm very happy with bogey here. Have had too many doubles and triples to count. A handful of pars and 1 birdie.

Mountain18_zps2f8ddd6c.png

This is going to sound lame but it is what it is i guess.

Mine is the 11th hole at The Ridge - 127 yard par 3 from the blues. It's more or less an Island green that plays into the wind most of the time, and the green goes right to the edge of the water. I think my average score on this hole is 4.5 and it just kills round after round, especially because it should be so easy.
It's not just me either. I see more solid golfers lose balls here than anywhere else that I play, it's just one of those holes.

The first hole at Hillcrest Golf and Country Club is a par 3 (weird I know) and it is about 215 yards into the wind. Depending on pin placement it can play anywhere from 205 to 230 and has bunkers on both sides and OB right. Just a really difficult first hole to start with.

Ridges golf course hole #13

13real.jpg

This hole is horrible. Once you get to the top there is a big oak tree in front of the green.
The picture below is from another tee box, but on the left is the green to this whole. You can see the big tree in the way once you get up the hill.
14_17tee_13green.jpg

Here is another picture below going toward the green again

13approach.jpg

Here is a layout picture below

hole-thirteen.jpg

There is just not much room to work with at all. It is all swampy along the sides too. I have never come close to par on this hole.

Long par 3s. The course I played a lot last yeas has 2 par 3s that are right around 200 yards with a significantly elevated green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#2 at my home course, Broadlands
Broadlands2_zpse8c8db7e.png

It's only 410 from the back tees (where I regularly play) so I can go with 3-wood or driver depending on the conditions. I've never had a problem with it in past years, but this fall/winter the 2nd shot has been killing me. Granted the wind has been blowing 10-20 mph from right of the green to left, but the last 6 times I've played I've put one in the water on the approach. All with a relatively short club, 8-iron at most, but it hasn't seemed to matter what club it is. I think I need to go out some afternoon/evening and play it 5 or 6 times in a row to get over the hump and get my mojo back on that hole.

This is going to sound lame but it is what it is i guess.

Mine is the 11th hole at The Ridge - 127 yard par 3 from the blues. It's more or less an Island green that plays into the wind most of the time, and the green goes right to the edge of the water. I think my average score on this hole is 4.5 and it just kills round after round, especially because it should be so easy.
It's not just me either. I see more solid golfers lose balls here than anywhere else that I play, it's just one of those holes.

I love that hole, for no reason other than the first time I played there, I hit a terrible shot, from the white tees with a wedge that had enough spin that it jumped back out of the water into play. First and probably only time in my life that will happen....

Hole #8 at my home course (Arrowhead GC, Akron, NY), a rather easy par 3 by most standards, probably 160-170.
It has water down the right side that gets in my head and I am in there more often than not.
Some of my playing partners pick on me when we get up to the tee, "pull the water ball."
I'm sure that doesn't help :)

#9 at augusta pines in spring ,tx

I could post in here all day. My home course (Fairways of Halfmoon) is full of birdie holes, that if you get greedy, will be triple bogeys before you even realize. I'll post more when I get to my desktop, but holes 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, and 17 all beat me up regularly. I've birdied them all (pretty sure), but have also blown up more times than not on each of those holes.

#7 525 yard par 5 at Big met golf course. its a 90 dogleg left you can only hit your tee shot about 215 then you start going through the fairwary if you go left there is junk you wont find your ball, right you are adding yards to the hole. you need a layup about 200-220 to a narrow fairway trees on left river on right. then the green is sloped back to front so anything long is super fast.

Back