What causes you to play bad?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
With THP getting into full swing of its events like Legacy, Gauntlet and Grandaddy I thought it would be great to share. Share with us what causes you to play poorly. We don't set out to play bad when we arrive at the course but somehow it happens. The question was asked by Neb golfer in the Grandaddy Thread to Cookie. I think others should share was makes them fall short. Whether it be an 18 hole match or a long weekend of matches at your ckub or a THP event. Where does the break down occur? Can you over come the bad play? Does it rub off on your partner?

Green differences and grass differences play a large role in my scoring ability because I don't scramble as well on what I'm not familiar with. The ball leaves the ground differently and reacts differently when it lands.

Layouts that I can't find a good target line off the tee.

Blind anything.

Wind.

Two things come to mind. Some days I just have more of a hacker's swing than other days. But the bigger factor is stuff between the ears - not focusing, thinking about the wrong stuff, etc.

A bad hole leading me to start playing golf swing instead of golf.

All between the ears.

A bad range session prior to a round can really throw me for a loop. I start guessing what I'm doing wrong and change everything, only to get worse.
Once my confidence is shot I'm in trouble out there.

I would say over-confidence. Thinking that I've owned this hole all year so no problem. Wish my partners would just smack me upside the head before I tee it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apart from the obvious course knowledge which can sometimes be a blessing as I try to play to what I can see, it is the change in green speed that causes me the biggest issue. I seem to be able to adjust to a lot of other things quickly but the greens are the one thing I have historically struggled with

I am hoping that by playing a lot of other courses this year it will help me to adjust quicker

Generally, my mental game is pretty weak. I need to put myself in more pressure situations while playing to get a little more comfortable. I've seen a few times where my swing is lost for the first 7 holes or so, then I start relaxing and playing better. I need to bring that mindset to the first tee. I've seen glimpses of improvement with it though.

At least early in the season, endurance is another issue. I saw my scoring blow up on holes 15-18 in January through April, but that seems to be fading now.

its all mental for me. Focus, visualization, clear strategy, and course management.

A bad hole leading me to start playing golf swing instead of golf.

All between the ears.
I'm right there with you.

Trying to do too much, getting tired, and metal problems.

My inconsistent swing haha ok seriously tho if im being rushed or show up to play in an awful mood it seems to translate on the course. I need to improve my focus and learn to relax a bit. If im in a good mood and relaxed then I tend to have my best rounds

Mental game and if I hit a bad shot start weighing on me and the paralysis by analysis comes in. Along with working on the swing I'm working on my mental game to overcome this.

mine typically is perceived injury, if i'm really being honest with myself. If I have a bad hole, and i feel a twinge in my back, then i have a hard time telling myself my bad isn't affecting my swing, for example. I'm getting better dealing with it, as I've seen how easily i can forget what might be a minor nuisance with a good subsequent hole.

My family obligations off the course always cause issues. Getting phone calls of " where are you" or " your son is sick have to pick him up" ...etc etc . Or weekly summer birthday parties from his classmates .. All add to rushing for me and not feeling relaxed. Which equals higher scores now, and something I can't control at this time.

Unfortunately this also puts stress on my playing partners or team mates knowing i may have to leave mid round or mid tourney. I'm always in a rush , just how it goes. And most golfers aren't understanding at times and I notice I ruined some of their rounds by having to leave or rush

to offset this I try and play solo as much as I can now. So I don't affect anyone's time on the course

My mind is always the problem. Thinking about problems at home, of which there are often many. My best rounds are always when there is nothing on my mind.

The clubs, it's always the clubs fault, ha.

It's all mental for me too, I try to forget the bad shots but it's hard to let it go sometimes and it can cause trouble for the rest of my round.

I play my worst when I lose my tempo. When things get too quick everything falls apart- especially my short game.

I tend to rush myself. This ends up me out of tempo, out of balance, misaligned or worse. I worry so much about being slow, but sometimes I need to just step back take a breath then go at it.

My general lack of skill

EGO, Lack of grasp of golfing ability. Jack, at one of the majors hit his first drive badly, put it back in his bag and did not hit it again that round, used his 3 wood the rest of the round. How many of us could do the same? Go down to what ever club could keep your ball in play off the tee? In front of your friends, or strangers?

I always start to play bad when I see other people wearing jeans.
That really gets in my head :bomb:

LOFT

smiley-face-playing-golf-emoticon.gif

I wish I knew for sure but I'm guessing it's mostly focus and tempo...and on a smaller scale nerves and fatigue sometimes.

If I knew how to isolate bad play, I'd probably never play bad, for very long anyway.

Back