Wedge Buying Advice: Mizuno MP-T4 for thick rough?

DocShank

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,
I'm trying to complete my wedge setup by adding a fuller sole, higher bounce 56/52 wedge for approach shots from the rough and bunker to my set. Are the MP T4 wedges any good for this purpose?(i could get em pretty cheap for 50 bucks)
I'm playing mostly in wet conditions, thick rough, fairways are pretty much rough :) (central europe). Are the Mizuno MP T4s any good for this purpose(closed face chipping, cutting throug rough)?
How do the MP T4 wedges compare to SM5 K grind wedges in terms of grind?

Thanks a lot for your help and advice!!!!!

Already in use: Mizuno MP T11 (54,60 medium bounce, C Grind for flop shots, occasionaly tight lies in the summer)
Looking for: 56° and/or 52° wedges that can cut through the rough for approach shots, chipping from the rough and bunker play. Preferably Mizuno MP T4s if suitable.

sorry for pushing it. Has anyone got any experience with the Mizuno MPT4 wedges from the rough?

Would be buying them tomorrow, considering the fact that they won't last long at that price I have to be fast:)

I play them and like them. I don't have a strong opinion about them being an asset or liability from the rough. The rough is what it is and I don't have any complaint about my MP-T4's on that front. They don't come with a weed wacker front edge.

Yep, I used them and they're still my back up set. I liked them out of the rough tbh and found them easy to open up.

thanks a lot guys. Do you think the SM5 K Grind wedges would be the better choice for my purpose? alternatives always welcome

thanks a lot guys. Do you think the SM5 K Grind wedges would be the better choice for my purpose? alternatives always welcome

Based on what you are trying to do, I would recommend something like the Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB. Get a little bit of forgiveness on the full swings, without changing the versatility of a smaller package.

mhm ok. In terms of versatility my two MP T11, C Grinds got me pretty much covered but I really struggle from the rough with them. I sometimes get caught in the grass when i try to hit a low running chip. From tighter lies when I'm able to open them up, the MP T11s are really great and pretty much my score savers. I just need an more aggressive alternative in the 56° range from the rough

I switched to the PM grinds because of how terrific they are out of the rough. I'd give those a try as well for comparison sake.

I carry a PM grind 60* for rough but had good results with Mizuno and other wedges in the rough by opening the face 30* or so for less interference getting down to the ball.

I play mizuno T4 wedges. Yes T4 can be play very nicely in the rough because the sole is not wide. It can cut through wet grasses , thick grasses , very easily. I have few 54, 56, 58, 60 in my collection.

thanks a lot guys for your help so far. I'll take a look the W GRIND/ PM Grind Wedges and the 588 series aswell.

Back