POKeefe

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had a rough go of it with my wedges lately. They won't hold a green very well even when I'm playing a flop shot. I'm not sure if it's my grooves being worn or my technique, but even when I'm playing for spin I get nothing. Playing the Taylormade ATV's for reference. Any thoughts on if switching to the MD2, SM5, or RTX's would help me at all?

I love my md2. Have it in a 60 and no problem getting the ball to check. Used it for 2 seasons now

Its most likely technique, but I have found the RTX 2 to work like a charm in so many situations. Just a really well designed wedge with options for any golfer in terms of bounce, grind, loft, etc.

I am not a guy that imparts a lot of backspin on the ball. I game the RTX 2.0 wedges and they spin the ball better than any wedges I have ever owned.

Its most likely technique, but I have found the RTX 2 to work like a charm in so many situations. Just a really well designed wedge with options for any golfer in terms of bounce, grind, loft, etc.

I am not a guy that imparts a lot of backspin on the ball. I game the RTX 2.0 wedges and they spin the ball better than any wedges I have ever owned.

I agree with both JB and Sox, the RTX 2.0 wedges are a good choice

I've had a rough go of it with my wedges lately. They won't hold a green very well even when I'm playing a flop shot. I'm not sure if it's my grooves being worn or my technique, but even when I'm playing for spin I get nothing. Playing the Taylormade ATV's for reference. Any thoughts on if switching to the MD2, SM5, or RTX's would help me at all?

My Mack Daddy 2 has a DG Spinner shaft, which helped me a lot to get the spin I wanted in that wedge. You could change shafts or even go back to square groove wedges.

I never figured out how to get along with my MD2 wedges. The RTX wedges are great. I personally like Nike wedges (x3x) as well.

I would throw the Wilson staff wedges into the mix also. They are excellent as well.

I've had Cleveland wedges in the past and absolutely loved them. Have Vokey SM5's now and love them as well. They are the top two IMO, and you can't go wrong with either.

I have Mack Daddy2 Tour Grinds, and absolutely love them.
But I never got the ball to check up until my technique improved.

My picks are RTX 2.0,wilson staff fg tour tc, md2 in that order. While wedge play comes down to technique and execution I like these three brands for their weight and feel.

My picks are RTX 2.0,wilson staff fg tour tc, md2 in that order. While wedge play comes down to technique and execution I like these three brands for their weight and feel.
Can't wait to try the FG Tour I got as a bonus with the D200. I messed up on the loft thorough. I already had a 54 RTX and ordered the 54 FG. I should have gone 56 or 58 to add an additional loft. But 54 is my favorite degree wedge.

If it's flop shots we're talking about, why not a Mack Daddy PM Grind? Seems that club was designed specifically for those types of shots. I will be putting one into play today for the first time, so I can't give an opinion on it...yet.

Could be the sole grind does not match your swing.

Nothing you can do but get fit for an Edel.

lol. Have used Edel for over 2 years because I did not want to keep buying wedges -- once you get personally fit, you know it's you, not the wedge.

Bridgestone J15 wedges spin like a top. Love that about the wedge!!

Could be the sole grind does not match your swing.

Nothing you can do but get fit for an Edel.

lol. Have used Edel for over 2 years because I did not want to keep buying wedges -- once you get personally fit, you know it's you, not the wedge.

I read this thread to see if anyone mentioned Edel ... I answered the questions on their website, is that what you mean by personally fit?

I interesting getting a couple ...

I read this thread to see if anyone mentioned Edel ... I answered the questions on their website, is that what you mean by personally fit?

I interesting getting a couple ...

A personal fit is going to one of their fitters. Hopefully, one is in your area or where you vacation.

People think they need a certain grind and find out ... no they are not a picker, they are a trapper.

My fitter had a Trackman, bay, and grass area where I could test various grinds with the shots I make around the greens and see which grind interacted best with the turf for my swing.

Leaning towards the MD2. Only thing holding me up is the RTX 2.0 suggestions. Anyone hit both and have feedback on the differences between them?

I recently tried the rotex 2.0s, md2s, and Taylormade r-series wedges.

I swung them on the PGA superstore monitor.... Half, full, chips, pitches, etc. And after looking at the numbers the rotex 2.0 and md2s were very close. The tmade wedges I wasn't a fan of feel wise.

Ended up going with a 56* md2 tour grind and a 60* md2 pm grind... The rotex felt hollow compared to the heavier thud the mack daddy had...hope that helps.

Tap it in.....

Thanks! Went with a MD2 54 S Grind, MD2 58 C Grind. Needed to trade in some clubs anyway, so I took advantage of the Callaway Pre-Owned sale on some very good conditioned clubs.

Another vote for the rotex 2.0s & md2s wedges. The Rotex 2.0 would just edge it, but both are great wedges.

Back