Putting putter cover back on after each hole?

I've always put the cover on the putter after each hole, but for some reason I haven't done it consistently for the past few years. And I'm using probably the most expensive putter I've ever owned. It hasn't gotten scratched up, and the little bag clatter it has received, wears well on it. It is still the best putter I've ever used. It still gets a cover in transit from the garage, to the trunk, to the course.

Last edited:
Without hesitation it goes back on before the putter goes back in the bag.

Why would you use a cover on your driver and not your putter? How in the world is it a waste of your time? That's baffling to me that something you can do while walking back to your cart or to the next hole can be considered a waste of your time that protects a club that is made of soft metals.

Are fixing the ball marks you make on the green a waste of your time too?

Absolutely

I return all head covers when finished except for the drive. That normally stayed un covered the entire round.

When putter is done, cover goes back on. No bag chatter for my putter.

Headcovers for putter, driver, fairway and hybrids go back on before going back in the bag

I take it off and leave it on the seat of the cart and put it on when I get back in. I usually leave the driver cover off while I play.

When I had my Hoofer my putter would hang off the side so no. When walking I would tho. With my Ogio I do not put the putter cover on.

I don't want knicks on my putter so it gets put back on after each hole. Takes 2 seconds anyway

I agree. One of the reasons my putters all look brand new.

Every time. Stays covered unless I'm putting.

Definitely put the cover back on after each hole.

Depends on the putter. I have putters that sit in the putter well and never bang against other clubs... no cover for them. For the ones that bang, I cover them.

P.S. I almost always walk, with a Clicgear 3.5+. If I'm not hitting a ball, I'm walking, which is to say that I do just about everything besides hitting a ball while walking and pushing the Clicgear (often against my stomach); I walk while I record score, clean clubs, put tees away, etc., etc.

Just wondering what everybody else does after putting the flat stick back in the bag? I always put the cover back on but I think its a waste of time.

Putting putter cover back on after each hole?

I always put the covers back on my clubs. On the next tee of course, I carry the putter to the next tee. When I started golfing nobody had putter covers, but as expensive as they are today you gotta have em.

Putter, driver, woods & hybrids, covers are replaced after each use.

I cover EVERY club in my bag. Yet when I am playing the putter is the only club I don't cover after every use. I know back asswards. But yea.

Putter, driver, woods & hybrids, covers are replaced after each use.

+1 I take care of my stuff. Don't want it clanking around, especially the putter. I need him happy and to keep rolling'em in from all over.

Always, I have my aiming sticks in the bag and put whatever clubs head cover I am using on there while it is in use. Then when I put the club back in the bag, head cover goes back on said club.

Pretty simple system that keeps my club in good place and makes sure I don't lose any head covers.

I put the cover on after every hole, and I leave it on until I'm putting. If I'm off the green and I pull the putter from the cart, the cover stays on until I'm ready to putt.

I don't want to mess up the insert.
So you bring the head cover to the green, thats another level of dedication.

Actually, once I pull the driver cover its off for the entire round and I always leave the putter head cover in the cart. It always seems im the only person in our group that puts the cover back on the putter. Comparing fixing divot marks on a green and protecting my personal putter are in separate leagues. Come on.

Ever seen what a a Tank Cruiser #7 head will do damage wise to a driver or iron when you toss it into a bag without a headcover? I haven't, and I sure as heck don't want to either!

Headcover comes off when I am going to the green (usually stick it to an iron with the magnet), then toss it back on as soon as I get to the cart before putting back into the bag.

So you bring the head cover to the green, thats another level of dedication.
How is it dedication to put a small cover in your pocket or leave it on the fringe when you walk off lol you're acting like the thing is gigantic and takes minutes to get on and off. Just my opinion but cmon now, it's like the easiest thing haha

I will typically take the headcover off on my way to the green. I dunno why. Just something I do

How is it dedication to put a small cover in your pocket or leave it on the fringe when you walk off lol you're acting like the thing is gigantic and takes minutes to get on and off. Just my opinion but cmon now, it's like the easiest thing haha
I guess my putter cover is huge, would never fit comfortably in my pocket. I suppose I could leave it on the fringe. Ive just always noticed that im usually the only one that takes the time to take the cover on and off.

Yes yes one thousand times yes.

Putter abuse should be punishable by public lashings IMO.
I used to not.

After repainting the #7, I have a gorgeous putter and use the cover after every use.

I will still putt out of the sand when necessary, but I will use a different putter.

I return all head covers when finished except for the drive. That normally stayed uncovered the entire round.
Funny you say that. I always put the covers back on (I only have them on my driver and five wood, my 3 wood when I carry it). And now the putter. I just didn't bother with the cover on it before.

Back