Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

I see people wearing tights with shorts from time to time, saw it at the range the other day and some of my mountain biking pals do it when it gets cold.

I think it looks ridiculous. Isn't this why they make pants?

I'm not for the tights/shorts look.

If everyone is so concerned about growing the game, let anybody wear whatever the hell they feel like.

I feel the beginning of a rant coming on, so I'll leave it at that.

I,m with you there, except for the rant part. I won't wear it, but you do whatever you like, it will not keep me from enjoying golf.

I still think it doesnt look nearly as bad as Rickie's joggers.

I couldn't care less about these tights. I won't wear them, but if everyone else wants to by all means! If it helps grow the game even a little it is easily worth it

haha you crack me up, Scrap. I wore pants today. Man pants.

Im a big fan of compression grear so I picked up some pants a couple weeks ago for the gym and thought hmm golf what the he'll.

It was really comfortable. I liked it but don't think any privet courses will allow it.

Hey someone had to try it.

All of this talk of growing the game - and I do believe that we must grow the game through our youth. If you really do believe that relaxing the dress code rules will help grow the game, what about football jerseys muscle shirts, and short cut off shorts?

Perhaps we should consider allowing people to wear their pajamas on the course if it will help grow the game. :sarcastic:

All of this talk of growing the game - and I do believe that we must grow the game through our youth. If you really do believe that relaxing the dress code rules will help grow the game, what about football jerseys muscle shirts, and short cut off shorts?

Perhaps we should consider allowing people to wear their pajamas on the course if it will help grow the game. :sarcastic:

why not?

I am kind of traditional when it comes to golf attire. That being said, I ran track in college and can see definite benefits to tights.

If it's cold, pants are the play. If it's hot, straight up shirts. If it's in that middle ground and provided the course allows it I will go compression pants.

Forget about growing the game but if you want to be cool and comfortable without having to worry about sun exposure and your health or if your someone who needs prescription sun protective clothing in the sun this is a great option. It's not for everyone and I thought it was too far when I first saw saw it but like trying a Bellini I liked it, a lot.

I hope more people give it a go and report there thoughts. Just be sure to get some designed for hot weather.

I just don't like the look of tights on the golf course. It looks like they would be more approperately dressed for a basketball game. Has Nike the marketing department not figured this out. Golf is not basketball. Spectators in basketball yell, scream, and wave the arms and other objects while the opposition team attempts foul shots. In golf you are expected to show respect while playing - whether being a player or spectator.

That being said, if courses/tours allowed tights to be worn I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would still think that it looks silly, but it wouldn't bother me.

And BTW... I do not consider myself stuffy and part of the old guard. YMMV. :D

To me this is sort of like ordering a Bellini at a bar. I'm not even going to try it because I'm scared I might like it.

They would be perfect for Vancouver. Find a cheap course that's laid back with a dress code and give it a go. Bring SkiBum he would probably love this idea if he gave it a try.

Nothing wrong with tights... it makes it much easier to change quickly when I have to fight evil doers.

I don't have a problem with it if someone feels more comfortable with then than pants and doesn't want the sun exposure. I still think it looks pretty odd, and certainly don't want to see it on tour.

I have an idea.... Wear your tights underneath your pants.

Nike is a complete joke in the golf world. I wish Augusta would have denied Rory from playing without a collar. The two button placket looks stupids.

So I was watching Tin Cup the other day with my wife...classic golf movie, of course. So she sees Kevin Costner wearing these loose, billowing, double-pleated trousers, and she starts laughing, and asking if people ever really thought those looked good. I said I hope not, it means they might come back, but that that might have been about the only way to stay cool on the course. Pretty much all golf apparel is doomed to move from one absurdity to the next. Most of us will never get there, because we're never going to have someone else paying for our clothes. For those who are that lucky, if they think tights will feel better and help them play better, more power to them.

As for me, I'd rock those bad boys in a heart beat, and throw some Ranger panties over my naughty bits. Life's too short to worry that much about what other people think of your clothes on the golf course.

I just don't like the look of tights on the golf course. It looks like they would be more approperately dressed for a basketball game. Has Nike the marketing department not figured this out. Golf is not basketball. Spectators in basketball yell, scream, and wave the arms and other objects while the opposition team attempts foul shots. In golf you are expected to show respect while playing - whether being a player or spectator.

That being said, if courses/tours allowed tights to be worn I wouldn't have a problem with it. I would still think that it looks silly, but it wouldn't bother me.

And BTW... I do not consider myself stuffy and part of the old guard. YMMV. :D

the reason basketball players wear them is for benefits if their muscles during the game and for recovery post game. While Nike marketing may not always be good when it comes to golf they have released a really good line of golf clothes this year and have some really good products for multiple sports.

their marketing around the tights was based in the hoyer ward version which is similar to UA cold gear. They fit the style of what has been released this year and like many things some people will like it and some won't. I have no issues with them and would have no problems wearing some for sun protection and for cool days that will warm up during the round and a person doesn't want to wear pants but still wants some warmth.

i may wear some on the course during the summer but it will also be done where the dress code is not as strict as a privet, semi-private or potentially an upscale public course. I will call the shop before to verify no issues with them.

Im not sure if they are something that will help grow the game as much as it is for nike pushing the envelope

What is wrong with pajamas?

I hope the "tights for men" trend doesn't catch on. It looks silly. I would prefer to wear a suit and tie on the course instead this stuff.

Either way, I will never wear them.

I hope the "tights for men" trend doesn't catch on. It looks silly. I would prefer to wear a suit and tie on the course instead this stuff.

Either way, I will never wear them.

Agreed. If we can also get fat women to cease wearing spandex I'm all for that as well.

Nike can be like a slow drip from your faucet.It is irritating as hell, won't go away and if you don't deal with them it will probably cost you.The Swoosh is used to getting what they want. And they have their money plus the support of the largest retail players whether it be in golf, sporting goods or even department stores.
Agreed. If we can also get fat women to cease wearing spandex I'm all for that as well.

I honestly just don't really care lol enjoy your round of golf. I won't wear them but i don't care if someone else does.

I honestly wouldn't wear tights on the course, but obviously Nike has some performance reasons for there athletes to push this. Nike is the most powerful entity in sports.

I must be an old man trapped in a late 20's body. I cant stand any of this new stuff, those high top shoes, those hideous pants with the scrunchie at the bottom and now men in tights. Unless its Robin Hood and we can all laugh I'm out.

Hahaha..

Nike has certain gone in a direction I didn't see coming. Their vibrant colors, tights for men (I would to be the meeting when someone pitched this idea), shirtless collars. It makes me of PUMA when I see Nike's new ideas.

Again, not for me but I'm sure it's attracts the younger generation.

It's comfortable. Get some heat gear compression pants and give it a shot.

Back