Most Ridiculous Golf Purchase You've Ever Made

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
Let's hear about 'em. Could be the bad ones like the infomercial putter you bought on a whim. It could be the ego ones, like the time you bought a 1 iron because "Hogan played one." Or maybe, it is one that turned out okay, but you still look back and ask yourself "what the heck was I thinking?" or "I can't believe I spent my kid's college tuition money on that single club!"

Mashie M1. Worst purchase ever

Scotty Cameron Futura X putter. $350.00 for a Ghost Spider clone.

Wow. Ouch. Did you sell it? Still use it on occasion? Or is it sitting in the corner like a scolded child?

Good topic...I'm going to go with my Scotty Cameron divot tool. Nothing too elaborate, but it just screams "you spend way too much money on golf stuff."

One single birdieball ball. I don't think I have ever used it.

Really though. Any number of club purchases that I regretted after the first course use, but the one I regret most was: Burner 3 hybrid, bought it when I had no money to my name, after getting a speeding ticket, in my g/f's car... and I wanted to treat myself to something to make myself feel better. Could never hit it on course, the look was just off for me for some reason, and I offloaded it soon after.

Buying a set of Nickent irons, instead of just repairing the Adams PW that I broke the shaft on.... loved those irons, hit them so well. The Nickents, not so much.

A DVD titled "Over the top golf swing". It was homemade and showed how you could hit the ball well with an over the top swing. It had no production quality and basically showed a rather portly gentleman aiming way left and slicing it back to the green (sometimes).

Putterball training aid.

31Awk6pEhsL.jpg

It was definitely one of those, sounds great in theory, will drive you made in execution products.

Good topic...I'm going to go with my Scotty Cameron divot tool. Nothing too elaborate, but it just screams "you spend way too much money on golf stuff."

Really? I bought a Scotty Cameron divot tool for 15 bucks in Hawaii, from the only golf store I could find, when I was on honeymoon. It might be a fake, who know lol.

Another for me was the single finger glove. Instead of taping your finger (blister or whatever) for $9.95 you got a one finger glove.

Taylormade R7 Driver. Walked in, bought it off the shelf brand new without swinging it. Tried to play it for about 9 months. Was a total spin monster for me. Giant balloon fades were the shot de jour with that club. Finally wised up and took it back and traded it in while getting a fitting. Burner Tour was what I ended up with in the fitting and played that driver for several years.

This is going to be a fun thread to read..... tucson is killing it.

So crazy... I've had both.. Similar, but I prefer the Scotty for sure.

Also going to add the adidas Powerban 3.0's the waterproof piece around the bottom turned yellow in the sun. $80 spend on shoes I wore 3 time. (Got them for Christmas and didn't use them till after warranty over)
adidas-powerband-3s-white-silver-2.jpg

I would say an R1 on the day is was released. I say that not becasue its not a great driver. I say it becasue 2 months later I could find them for less than half price

Ping G15 driver. I was on my way to a round and my driver of 10 years broke as I was putting my clubs in the car. I had an hour, so hit a bunch of drivers and was killing it in the sim. Took it to the course and sliced everything. Took it the range after that a few times and kept slicing. Fortunately, I was able to sell it. Didn't know all that much about clubs then and it was my first lesson on not trusting sims all that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say an R1 on the day is was released. I say that not becasue its not a great driver. I say it becasue 2 months later I could find them for less than half price

I'll second that...never buy Taylormade/Callaway when they come out...wait 6 months. Titleist and Ping tend to hold their pricing between club versions.

Not me, but my Uncle and dad split the cost and bought Daulton McCreary's "Straight Shootin' Golf" Lesson program on VHS back in the day. I don't think either of them every touched it. I watched a tape or two. It was hysterical.

The purchase I most regretted was the XHot Pro 3 Wood last year. I never ever ever get along with Project X shafts, but I tried to make it work anyway. Sold it on the marketplace less than 2 weeks after buying it.

Scotty Cameron Golo. Really nice looking putter but just couldn't get it to work for me.

That medicus swing speed calculator. What a terrible device plus all the other crap that came along with it. Emails, extra charges, more emails. It was a mess.

Hit down Dammit.

Terrible stupid video.

A range rubber tee set. The one that's got three different heights and string holding them together.

Wilson Anti-Slice balls (the package actually says Anti-slice)

A TaylorMade hat that makes me look like a idiot.

Callaway C4 driver years ago. Good thing they bought them back.......

I also bought a net once to hit into. No better way to groove a bad swing than with one of those......

Back