HP Irons by Taylormade???

NavyMustang

Reaction score
Handicap
EGA 19.9
Gents,

Quick question, I've noticed over the last few years that Taylormade comes out with an HP version of some of its irons once they are no longer the current lead line (i.e Rocketballz HP last year and now Rocketbladez HP this year). Other than finish is there any difference between these and the original line?

The reason I ask is that I have recently bought a set of Rocketbladez that I like but my elbows are acting up again, so I am looking at going graphite. While you can't custom order Rocketbladez anymore it seems like you can still get the HP version.

I have the HP Burner 2.0 and I can't tell a difference. Imo the finish holds up well also.

I have the original rocketballz and have also swung my friends HP and I cannot tell any difference whatsoever.

Was told by numerous sales people that they are the same, except for the finish on them.

Whether that is true or not is another thing however.

My father in law had the Burner 2.0 HP for a long time, I didn't see any differences except the finish.

Wait, so why do they make a HP model again after the old model becomes "obsolete"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, so why do they make a HP model again after the old model becomes "obsolete"?

Probably because there's a market for irons at a lower price point than the other irons in their current line.

Probably because there's a market for irons at a lower price point than the other irons in their current line.

Okay, that makes sense. But why not make more "regular" Rocketbladez instead of Rocketbladez HP?

I think part of it might be that some may prefer the HP finish as opposed to the black. (that would be my guess why they make them)

If that's the case then why not come out with both models right away? I'm not saying you're wrong or trying to be annoying, I've just always wondered why HP irons come out after a new line has been made available. Are they trying to renew the old line to clear out stock? I'm stumped

I think there is one less step in making the HP, versus coating or whatever they do to clubs with a satin finish. Taylormade does the same thing with drivers/woods. The original RBZ driver had a black face and black paint on the sole. The current version has an unfinished face and sole. I asked about it and was told they do that to lower the cost of the product since it is no longer a priority line of clubs.

Just so everyone knows, for the most part HP clubs are the exact same, but the finish is cheaper for TM to make and helps them distinguish it as a 'new' offering, even though its really not. The rocketballz line of HP are different in the fact that the 3,4,5 irons are plain cavity backed irons vs the hybrid style the orginal set came with, but that was because of the lack of popularity of the orignals. The tech and quality are the same as far as I know

I think there is one less step in making the HP, versus coating or whatever they do to clubs with a satin finish. Taylormade does the same thing with drivers/woods. The original RBZ driver had a black face and black paint on the sole. The current version has an unfinished face and sole. I asked about it and was told they do that to lower the cost of the product since it is no longer a priority line of clubs.

Back