Callaway Apex v Callaway x2 hot for mid handicapper?

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
Hi,

new to this forum but would be great if I could get some views on how the Callaway Apex compares against the new Callaway x2 hot Irons (preferably from those who have used both).

....used to play regularly as a mid teens golfer, but looking to get back to playing regularly and currently more of a 20 handicap. Current clubs are the X20 steel shaft....but thinking it could be time to upgrade.

I recognise there is a big price difference, but looking for a set to last me for a good while, and want to get the best clubs for game improvement.

welcome views......

I had the pleasure of demoing both of these sets while at Dicks the other day looking to buy new clubs. I didn't end up with either, but got to hit a 6i from both set 25-30 balls each.

I should probably mention first that I'm (likely) a highish 20s hdcp and you're more likely to find the sweetspot more often than me. Anywho...

The Xhot 2s were about 5 yards longer than all the other irons I demo'd (Apex, Mizuno JPX EZ, Nike Covert VS (?), Cobra Amp Cell). I was averaging about 180 with these, but mishits where anywhere from 130sh to 165ish depending how poorly the miss was, but mostly in the 150ish range. You could feel in your hands instantly weather you hit your shot well or not which you may or may not like. The look at address is very good. I personally hit these irons as well as any of others even tho I didn't end up walking out with these. All in all a very solid club.

The Apex... maaaaaaaaaaaan. These clubs were SWEET! Best looking, best feeling, best everything iron I've ever hit. Unfortunately, as a high hdcp, I wasn't able to find that sweet spot nearly enough for me to fully appreciate these nor were they forgiving enough for what I was looking for. The xhot 2s are a bit for forgiving make no mistake, but if you're a better ball striker than I (which shouldn't be hard) the Apex are the far superior club. Also, the $1100 pricetag was a slight turnoff. I'm sure if I was iron shopping as a lower hdcp I would have found a way to justify the price and been walking out with these.

I personally ended up with the Cobra Amp Cells. That was all based off of how I hit them though. I hit them as well as the x hot 2s and they came with a price tag $300 cheaper. So your best best is to just go out and try them (and other clubs!) yourself and find the one that fits you best. If you don't have anywhere near you where that's possible and are going off of online reviews and plan to buy online that makes things trickier. I would then just google all the reviews for both clubs and see what others have to say and go from there.

Though I guess that's what you're doing here :bulgy-eyes:

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions throw em out and I'll do my best to answer. The demo was 2 days ago so it's still fresh in my mind. Happy shopping!

Both very solid irons that will give you years of enjoyment. They both offer a different sound/feel to me.

So personal preference will play a role in the decision.

If your X-20s fit you, I suggest that you will not see much of a performance improvement versus the other two. That was a very forgiving set of irons with a versatile sole grind. Sorry, not much fun am I :) ?

Hi,

new to this forum but would be great if I could get some views on how the Callaway Apex compares against the new Callaway x2 hot Irons (preferably from those who have used both).

....used to play regularly as a mid teens golfer, but looking to get back to playing regularly and currently more of a 20 handicap. Current clubs are the X20 steel shaft....but thinking it could be time to upgrade.

I recognise there is a big price difference, but looking for a set to last me for a good while, and want to get the best clubs for game improvement.

welcome views......

Welcome to THP.

I've hit both sets of irons, and I think they are both very good. The X2Hot have a little bit of a firmer feel to them, but I think I hit them a touch further. I found both sets to be pretty forgiving on miss hits, with the X2Hot possibly being a little forgiving.

My dad demoed both irons a couple weeks ago. He is around a 20 hdcp, and he did not think that he could play the Apex since that is what I play. He was wrong - he hit both sets well and really enjoyed the feel of the Apex.

I suggest you demo both sets and see which fits better for you.

I've been able to hit both sets as well during my testing process this winter.

The Apex have a great feel to them and really have some great forgiveness and soft feel for a forged iron. Even on mishits, I don't get as harsh of a feel as I do when I mis-hit my J40 DPCs.

ATL explained the X2Hots well, they feel a bit firmer. I think they don't feel as soft/smooth on a flushed shot, but they still perform admirably. I noticed a bit more feedback from the X2Hots as well on mis-hits. Just felt them more than I did on the Apexes.

Good luck with your purchase!

If your X-20s fit you, I suggest that you will not see much of a performance improvement versus the other two. That was a very forgiving set of irons with a versatile sole grind. Sorry, not much fun am I :) ?

I'd have to disagree with this point. I just had a fitting this morning which blew my mind wide open.

My current gamers are Callaway x-20's, the only difference is fit was that the new clubs I hit were +1* upright. I narrowed it down to both the X-Hot 2 and Cobra Bio Cell. Both gave me on average a 20/25 yard gain on the x-20, with mishits being much more forgiving on both distance and feel. I was astounded at the difference.

Personally I'm going for the Bio Cell as the dispersion was tighter for me.

I'm glad this thread was started. I hit the X Hot Pros last year and really liked them. But I'm loving the look of the Apex and all of the feedback seems to be super positive. I'd probably be considering the X2 Hot Pro vs. the Apex more than the standard X2 Hot. Obviously, I'm going to have to go hit both of them. I'm guessing the X2 Hot Pro will probably be slightly longer, different feel, but comparable forgiveness...

Honestly, I'm not sure how that could be the case unless the X-20s were ill-fitting (I'm thinking shaft here since your lie change was relatively minor).

I'd have to disagree with this point. I just had a fitting this morning which blew my mind wide open.

My current gamers are Callaway x-20's, the only difference is fit was that the new clubs I hit were +1* upright. I narrowed it down to both the X-Hot 2 and Cobra Bio Cell. Both gave me on average a 20/25 yard gain on the x-20, with mishits being much more forgiving on both distance and feel. I was astounded at the difference.

Personally I'm going for the Bio Cell as the dispersion was tighter for me.

Thanks all...appreciate the feedback.

interesting to hear that there may not be much improvement on my current x20's ..... If this is the case then I should probably save the money and invest in lessons....or indeed getting my x20's fitted for me (assuming it's never too late, as they are a good few years old now)

however, if general consensus is they offer significant improvement over the x20's then I guess I will try and find a place that will allow me to test out both sets (or at least the respective 6 irons)

The dilemma I have on the apex v hot2 however is this: as it am just getting back into playing golf more regularly I feel that the extra sweet spot of the hot2 would probably have greater impact on my score.....however, when I get back to the teens presumably the apex would then be better...but I am looking for a set that will last a long time. :banghead: ....so do I go for the Apex and hope I can quickly grow into them....or choose a game improver for the higher handicapper ( eh hot2) ....hope this makes sense :bulgy-eyes:

I think you will find both sets rather forgiving.
I am not one that believes in getting a set to "grow into", so if you are hitting one set better than the other, you should have your answer.

I also think it's a bad idea to get a set of clubs you think you will grow into. Just brings a lot of frustrations.

Bring your x20s in and out them up against the sets you are wanting to upgrade to. At the end of the day the numbers are going to tell you what set you should go with.

I really like the feel of both clubs, but the X2 Hot may be a bit easier to hit

I hit both irons and ordered the x2 hots. The Apex are great irons but personally I didn't like the smaller face and the sound. I just felt more confident with the x2 hots.

Honestly, I'm not sure how that could be the case unless the X-20s were ill-fitting (I'm thinking shaft here since your lie change was relatively minor).

Shaft in the x-20 was the standard uniflex. Difference could be shaft related, it does make a huge difference, but there's a lot of tech and years between the two clubs.

My advice is to hit your own club alongside others and get fitted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am strongly considering trading in my irons for an Apex set. They have an addicting feel.

Thanks guys...and appreciate the feedback.

question ....if you were also looking to take lessons and go back to key fundamentals...would you do so with existing clubs and then get fitted for a new set...or does it make more sense to get the new clubs first, get fitted and and take the lessons afterwards.

...just wondering if my whole swing, setup changes after lessons ( and changing years of bad habbits) whether the 'right club selection' may also change. ??

question ....if you were also looking to take lessons and go back to key fundamentals...would you do so with existing clubs and then get fitted for a new set...or does it make more sense to get the new clubs first, get fitted and and take the lessons afterwards.

...just wondering if my whole swing, setup changes after lessons ( and changing years of bad habbits) whether the 'right club selection' may also change. ??

Lessons. The most important part of golf is your swing, not the clubs.

But it will make a difference to be fitted, especially if you are above/below average height. From my own experience I bought cheap used clubs that were standard in length and lie and had lessons with those. After having a fit done I've found I need +1 upright which will be sorted once I order my new set.

How tall are you? I've a friend who is 6ft 3in that struggled until he bought longer clubs used. But he still struggles as he hasn't had lessons, its just more comfortable for him, but his basics are all over the place resulting in no consistency whatsoever.

5.9" ... So standard length I'm guessing.

Hi,
Has there been any further update on this comparison? I've been comparing both in demos and the x2 hots seem a bit longer. Not sure how that would show out on the course under pressure. Which have you found to be more consistent?

This is where I am at right now - bought a package which includes a lesson (yes just one) and a fitting - I have never had either!
My clubs are 7 yrs old and off the rack, I like them but have doubts since I was never fitted. Anyway have a lesson today and a fitting tomorrow. I may not NEED new clubs but I WANT new clubs haha:desire:

I want to bump this thread for more input. I game the JPX 825s and came from R11s. I honestly wish I still had my R11. The JPX is a good club but for me I am not liking the advanced offset and am wanting something more towards my R11. All be it I was fit for my JPX it came down to them or i20s. Been really looking at these clubs. I love my x2hot pro hybrid and honestly wondered how it fit into either set. The JPX clubs are going I just don't know when.

I really think Apex versus X2Hot comes down to what you're looking for...X2Hot is an iron I hit a good 8-10 yards farther than the Apex...but I had a lot more trouble hitting them straight, as a general rule. I think the Apex is a little smaller, a bit of a thinner topline...they look pretty different at address. Comes down to look & feel. They're both pretty forgiving, though.

I was looking at the JPX and JPX pros, X2hots, and the titelist clubs - after the fitting I was in the apex pro's which I had not even thought were for "my" handicap - I love em!!

Back