Are You A Course Snob?

I am 100% not a course snob. Last year I played some really nice courses around the Cincinnati area and on a regular basis some very poor courses. The nice courses were only played on special occasions where the poor courses were played when I wanted to get a quick round in or was playing before work. In 2014 I am looking forward to joining a local private club that offers incredible conditions everyday. If this question is posted next February maybe I'll feel differently!

Let me clarify this a bit and first say that I don't mean someone that will not play on lesser courses, but someone that digs in a bit more. Pays attention to the architects design, knows who designed it before teeing it up, searches for the right course, and does not want to settle for a lesser course given the option.

Do you consider yourself "course knowledgeable"? Would you rather pay more once per month to play a great course than twice per month to play an average course?

All of these things should be considered. What do you think?

I think it's tough to make that call for me. As I am a member of a club, I think my 'snob' would be that it's one of the few locally I could play every single day and be happy, and as such, play that course instead of a couple that are closer. It also causes me to skip out on random 18s because I think I'd be crazy to pay for a weaker design that's poorly maintained.

That's a great question though. I'm definitely a lot more interested in the course design aspect of courses I'll play now after getting to know a few last year.

I enjoy beautiful courses with designs that make me think. If all things were equal -- price, location, weather, number of people on the course, etc. -- I would definitely prefer to play a course like that.

I will play in a cow pasture though. If it is lightly loaded, cheaper, etc., then I'd often rather play there just because of the total package.

For me, I'm increasingly going to preferring courses that are well maintained. It doesn't mean that the design has to be of one style. It's more like:
- Don't have sand traps if you can't afford or won't maintain the sand. Pot bunkers or grassy areas are just as challenging and easier to maintain.
- Don't have water jugs out on the course if they're all going to be empty.
- Don't cut the greens so close that they die in the summer heat. I'll take a slightly slower green with a more consistent roll.
- Don't point the tee boxes where 50% of the people aren't going to properly adjust and immediately hit into trouble.

I will admit it, I am a course snob. It wasn't done intentionally, I just happened to get very spoiled early on when I first learned to golf. I didn't know at the time that I was playing such nice courses, I honestly thought that's how all golf courses looked. So when I played not so nice courses, I will say I was disappointed. I still had fun, but I quickly learned that I was in fact a course snob, and have a much higher appreciation now for nice courses.

I am not. I like to play just about any course. It doesn't depend on quality really, just as long as I'm playing. However, if I play a course that I really like, I'll probably look up who designed it and try to play a few more of their courses.

• Knows who designed it before teeing it up....Most of the time yes
  • Searches for the right course...not a lot of searching i know the courses in the area excellent, average or bad
  • Does not want to settle for a lesser course given the option...will not settle for a lesser course will pay extra $$(to a point) to play the better course

I am not a snob at all. However I would much rather pay a higher price to play a better course.

I don't normally pay to much attention to course design while I am playing. But after the round I enjoy thinking back and enjoying the course a lot more.

I'll be honest, I kind of am, but only to a degree. I say this because I'm in the middle of Kansas and there aren't any awesome courses within a half hour of my house. If I want a course that's more than 6400 yards from the "tips" then I have to drive at least an hour. If I want a course that's an above average course, then I have to drive just over an hour.
With that said, I'm not a "snob" to a degree that I know the course architect's name, but I am to the degree that I respect the design and can usually see what he (or she) was trying to convey in the set up. Usually I'm not away of the architect's name unless it's a well known name...Fazio, RTJ, Nicklaus, Palmer or similar.

All you other course nerds will love this blog. Great information on the greatest courses in the world.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/

Yep. I must be a course snob. I have visited his blog many times; even have it bookmarked. It's a great place to read up on courses you think you might want to play.

I am definitely not a course snob and rarely do my homework when playing a new course.
Convenience and cost plays a big part into what course I choose to play.
Most of the time a course I've never played is recommended by a friend and I count on their impression and description.
This year I will be looking more at quality over quantity so I would take the nicer course once a month.

Yep. I must be a course snob. I have visited his blog many times; even have it bookmarked. It's a great place to read up on courses you think you might want to play.

You're not alone v.man! I have a dream of doing some traveling when the kids are moved out and I've finally got the time and money. I'll never get the top 100 done, but I'd love to visit as many as possible.

I will admit it, I am a course snob. It wasn't done intentionally, I just happened to get very spoiled early on when I first learned to golf. I didn't know at the time that I was playing such nice courses, I honestly thought that's how all golf courses looked. So when I played not so nice courses, I will say I was disappointed. I still had fun, but I quickly learned that I was in fact a course snob, and have a much higher appreciation now for nice courses.

You are unique that is for sure. Most people do not get to play top 100 courses when they are starting out. I completely understand it though.

I would not say that I am a course snob. Ill pretty much play anywhere theres tee time and good rate. However, if the conditions are bad I probably wont play that track again

Not at all. I will try and play the better course if they are close in price but at the end of the day I want to play as much golf as possible so price is what makes the final decision.

In town all I care about is rounds and getting better. If I'm traveling I like to play the best and am willing to pay for it. For me that's a huge part of my enjoyment of the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do my homework when playing a new course, but I'm not a course snob. Can't really afford to be and play at a decent rate. I've played some nice courses, though I don't think I've played any really spectacular ones.

I am a snob. If given the choice I will not play a lesser quality, maintained course over the one I play almost everyday. The only exception is the course where I live, I play in a Fri skins game. I dropped my membership here about 1.5yrs ago due to the conditions of the course, bunkers, greens, etc. and only play in the skins game as it is open to members guests and I still have friends in the game. I have to play lesser courses in tournaments also for our area golf organization, but I don't really count those.

I wouldn't say I'm a course snob, but I do keep architecture and course conditions in mind, and I am always interested to play a course by a well known architect. However, I appreciate a good value and would rather play more often than play once at a super awesome course, except in special circumstances. So I tend to gravitate towards well designed and conditioned courses that are more off the radar either because of location or a less well known architect. And I think that any more than $100 for most courses is extortion, unless there is some exceptional history or pedigree.

All you other course nerds will love this blog. Great information on the greatest courses in the world.

http://top100golf.blogspot.com/

I've lived vicariously through this guy for years haha. When he finally got onto Augusta, I was internally celebrating even though it wasn't me who played it and I don't even know him!

Volume wins out. I do like to try new courses, especially ones with the higher reputations, but at the end of the day trying to play 15 rounds a month or more means 95 percent of them are at the course 5 minutes from the house.

I'm new to the game and a high handicapper still so I just try to play as often as possible. I'm not bothered by poor conditions, but I'm sure someday when I'm better at the game I will prefer to play a nicer track. I just recently looked up who designed the course I like best just to see who could possibly be so evil and it turns out it was Johnny Miller/Chi Chi Rodriguez(Badlands GC in Las Vegas) Even the commercial for the place tells you "It takes BALLS to play at Badlands!" Lol

When I travel to play, absolutely. In state though I have come to accept its just not happening as the elite courses we do have aren't accessible to me.

I am definitely not. However, as Hawk touched on, when I find a course to play I spend a lot (probably too much) time on the course website, blogs about the course, and watch any videos. We are taking a trip in May to Grand Geneva with 12 guys and I have spent a good amount of time looking at the 2 courses.

With that being said, I play where the deal is. Everyone once in a while I'll splurge, but would rather pay less to play more than the opposite.

I am definitely a course snob, I want good greens and good practice areas and will generally avoid courses that don't have those two important things. I am also willing to play less and practice more so I can afford the better courses.

I am course knowledgeable as in I know who designed most of the courses that I play on and I notice and appreciate the design features. I am also a very cost aware (cheap) and will look for the best value when playing. I am fortunate to have a wide range of courses both in quality and cost to choose from. The area muni courses are cheap and good and there are several clubs that can be played for a good rate as well.

As for splurging, I tend to spend my big dollar rounds at THP events and for rounds at the top private clubs in the area when the opportunity arises.

Back