How Good Are You At Reading Greens?

I'd say I'm average, at best. Can have a round where my reads are very good, and then the next round I'll watch a few putts stay where they are, or even break the other direction, and just shake my head. And that's with improvement. LOL. If I have any doubt, now, I make sure to look at the putt from both the ball side and target side, and try to walk along the low side of the putt as well. It's getting better, but, yeah, average, at best.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is great at reading greens and 1 is terrible, I am a solid 3 (not very good). The good news is that I started the season as a 1.

I think over a round there are some easy reads and putts for most of us. I don't count those. But then there are those subtle breaks and complex reads that can send a round down the tubes. That's where I do poorly and the pain happens.

I don't play away from home a lot, but when I do I'm decent at reading breaks. I miss most often by accounting for too much break.

I think I'm probably average as most putts move the way I expect them to. I'm far worse at distance control with the majority of my misses being short (well short on lag putts).

Not that great but it is something that I really try to work on when I get the chance to play/practice.

I'd say I'm 60 percent reliable.

Im the worst at reading greens of all kinds and betmuda is the toughest for me.

I feel like I'm able to read where the ball is supposed to go but hitting it there is a whole other game!

I am pretty good at reading the green, I just have horrible speed control!

Not as well as I think I do. I probably struggle the most with break, especially right to left breaking putts. They say you should play for more break but I have never gotten that down.

However I feel most comfortable on bent grass greens and for some reason the faster the greens the better I like them.

I'd say it's one of the few strengths of my game. Playing on a number of different courses throughout the year helps in that regard. I do struggle for a day or 2 when I get back to the Southeast and get onto Bermuda greens, but I'm noticing that some of the newer types of Bermuda grasses aren't as influenced by grain as the older types of Bermuda.

It is a weakness and cost me a lot of strokes

I could get my speed perfect almost every time and hit the ball where I want most of the time, problem is I hit it to the wrong spot. If I could read a green I'd be sooooooo much better.

I wish the holes were larger.

I believe I'm the best in the world at reading non-Bermuda greens.

My reading of greens has become so bad that my putts look like they belong on different greens. Even on greens I'm familiar with there are breaks I just can't see. The only reason I can think of is I'm going blind.

Fairly decent at break, speed needs work though. Its getting there, but can always be better!

I'm a pretty good green reader. Anytime in scrambles I'm usually the guy the group goes to for the initial read.

I'd say I'm average, even at my home course, I struggle at times. I've looked into different programs, clinics and lessons, I think I just need to bite the bullet and do an aim point sometime.

Some days I can just look at the cup and see the line. Other days I can't see the cup from all the lines.

Some days I can just look at the cup and see the line. Other days I can't see the cup from all the lines.
Me too. More of the latter on Bermuda greens. Grain is just about non existent in my area

I am probably in the bottom quartile for my ability. I have improved, tho.

Wait... there are different kinds of grass? Are you kidding? No wonder I stink!!

I tend to think I am better at reading greens with lots of slopes and undulation, than I am reading greens with subtle breaks. That leads me to reading in to things way too much. Bermuda used to give me trouble until I got a good tip a few years ago.

I tend to think I am better at reading greens with lots of slopes and undulation, than I am reading greens with subtle breaks. That leads me to reading in to things way too much. Bermuda used to give me trouble until I got a good tip a few years ago.

What was the tip? Do the opposite of what it looks?

Seriously though, what was the tip?

I do a fair job of reading greens and I can usually visualize the path my ball needs to take.

Serious question:
Is grain only a Bermuda thing? I don't remember every seeing any grain on any of the greens around here.

Back