Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid

tanker337

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't see a thread for the hybrids and I just bought one, so I figured I'd start a thread for them.
I'd hit the hybrids a few times before buying one. I decided on the Fly-Z for a few reasons:
1. Super easy to hit and get up in the air.
2. Adjustable lofts. I've got the 3-4 Hybrid which ranges from 19-22 degrees.
3. I really like the verdant green heads.

The hybrid came yesterday and I was able to get out to the driving range last night. Just like hitting it at the demos and LIITA, it was super easy to hit long and high both off the deck and off the tee. There's no way I could get my 4I to get as high in the air. It's definitely going to take my 4I out of the bag on most rounds. I'm keeping the 4I in case I have to play some longer courses/tees and need to put the hybrid into more of a 3I slot. I haven't changed it from 20.5 degrees, which is what it came set to.

Here are some pics I took after getting back from the range. The yellow dots are just some can lights.

Address_zpsawmmvbd2.jpg~original

HeadCloseUp_zpsrnnlql3g.jpg~original

IMG_5180_zpsfgvrogxj.jpg~original

IMG_5178_zpsj5lkeupk.jpg~original

bottom_zps4egcurl2.jpg~original

BackToe_zpsdoh3a1t5.jpg~original

Last edited:
Enjoy it! I loved and was pretty lethal with the Bio hybo's last year, I have no doubt these are a lot of fun as well.

Always love the looks of Cobra hybrids. Hope you keep us posted with some long term thoughts.

Man that's sharp looking. Do you have any pictures of the sole?

THP Green!!!!

I have the Bios. You'll like this one.

I'll take some later tonight after I'm done wrangling kiddos .

That green is great looking. Thanks for posting tanker.

First post updated with pics of the sole and the back.

Has anyone seem much difference between these and the Biocell hybrids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huge difference.
They sound totally different to me.
The ball flight is different too (better mid flight for me).

From Amp to BioCell things were similar, but this product was completely redesigned and supervised by a completely different person. Other than saying Cobra on it, its going to be quite different across the board.

So one problem verdant/thp green, it looks too good at address and I get mesmerized by it. :)

I only played one shot with it Thursday and chunked the heck out of it.

I played 4 shots with it today. I chunked the first one again and didn't release on another one so it leaked right. The ones I hit fairly solid, flew mid high with good results. Other than the chunk, the other shots were better results than what I would expect with my 4I.

That sure is a beautiful club, man. I've just about pulled the trigger a few times on one just like this, I hope you crush the heck out of it!

Huge difference.
They sound totally different to me.
The ball flight is different too (better mid flight for me).

From Amp to BioCell things were similar, but this product was completely redesigned and supervised by a completely different person. Other than saying Cobra on it, its going to be quite different across the board.

Thought I'd revive the thread as I just got one.

What JB is spot on! I tried a friends bio 3-4 and I did not find it overly forgiving (even though it was great when you flushed it) I hit my 2-3 higher than the 3-4 in the bio. Still have to tinker as I would like it to go a little lower. Sound is much different. I really liked the tink of the bio cell, the fly z is definitely more muted. Fly z is a lot more forgiving. A lot. Nice size of the head, too. Compact but not too much. If you are looking to update your hybrid you could do a lot worse.

I love the green! Based on what you guys are saying, I have to try one. Dang it! I just now have gotten to where I can finally hit the X2Hot hybrids I bought early this year from Cally Preowned, and now y'all have me wanting a FlyZ!

She is a beauty alright, Metallic Masters Green.

After years of buying and selling hybrids this is by far and away the most reliable I've ever owned... Sits perfectly square and very difficult to hook!
It's never leaving the bag! :bananadance:

Wanted to give this a bump. Is anyone still gaming the Fly Z hybrid? There are some good prices on these and I really like the look.

For those that have tinkered with the club, is there a noticeable difference in ball flight by adjusting the loft?

Wanted to give this a bump. Is anyone still gaming the Fly Z hybrid? There are some good prices on these and I really like the look.

For those that have tinkered with the club, is there a noticeable difference in ball flight by adjusting the loft?

I just ordered 1 last week, it should be here Monday or Tuesday i'll be for sure gaming it for a while

Nice! If you get a chance to play around with the loft options please provide some feedback.

I like the idea of loft versatility in a hybrid.

I've been gaming a pair of them since August; a 2/3 set to 16.5* and a 3/4 set to 19.5*. What I've found is that these launch higher than you'd expect at any given loft setting due to the weighting. For me, lowering the loft bumps up ball speeds and carry distance a little, but they still launch nice and high. I came from a 2/3 Amp Cell and loft changes had a much bigger impact on height and left/right proneness than with my FLy-Zs. Because they launch so nicely, I get very similar flights from my 16.5* as my 19.5*, they just fill different carry yardage gaps. I took this pic a few months ago when I was goofing around playing two balls from different tees during the off season. The yellow was hit with the 16.5* from about 8 yards behind where I hit the white one with my 19.5*. The height, flight, pitch marks, roll out, basically everything, was identical for both shots, just carried the 16.5 about 13 yards more. The pic is walking up from the left so the angle is different. From the tee, both pitch marks and both balls lined up directly behind each other.
651_zpsrvfgcujd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

I put put one of these in my bag this year, 4-5, I have only used it a couple of times this year but it worked perfect each time. First shot on course with it this year was of the tee on a par four that dog legs right but is guarded by 3 large oak trees making it difficult to go high and cut the corner, and the are in a line so trying to slice around the corner results in branches " reaching out and grabbing " your ball, and straight trough ends up under the large pine trees or on another fairway with the pines in the way to make the green. I had been looking for a club to play off the tee here and this is it, I have it set at 23.5* and have found the middle of the fairway leaving 120 and 140 left each time. The other time I used it was out of the rough on a par 5 from about 170 out and it landed pretty softly on the green in 2, it was only the second time I have ever hit that green in 2. This club is so easy to hit, and it always seems to fly straight and land soft. It took a few swings on the range to get used to it compared to my older baffled hybrid, but it may kick it out of the bag, I didn't think that would ever happen, my baffled hybrid at 22* has been my confidence club for the last couple of seasons.

Ordered this weekend!

Ordered this weekend!

I just ordered 1 last week, it should be here Monday or Tuesday i'll be for sure gaming it for a while
Glad to find others who are still looking at 2015 equipment. I never buy the new stuff. I ordered the black 2-3 Fly Z hybrid to replace a 5 wood that was not really loved. I am gaming the Fly-Z + driver this season and could not be happier. I love the fact that the adjustments are simple and leave the club neutral. This means I can order a club online without a custom fitting. I can "custom fit" the club to my needs to fill in the yardage gap. I also just recently added the 3-4 fairway wood and have only played one round with it in my bag. My range session was into a strong headwind so I had the loft at 13.5 and was very happy with the ball flight. I expect this hybrid to launch higher than the fairway wood with the weight in the rear of the club. That should be ok as this club would most likely be my go-to for long 2nd shots on par 5's and the occasional approach if the number is right. I have always played more hybrids and fairway woods than most guys. The longest Iron I carry is a 6. I have a Cobra rescue 26 (5 iron) and I game Ping I-20 3-4 hybrids. I was looking for the 17 degree Ping, but couldnt find a decent one on ebay. I also loved the adjustments that the Cobra allowed for, so I orderd.

Will follow up after getting to know the new weapon!:clapp:

Back