Best Partner you have had at a THP event

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
This is not meant to leave anyone out but I am curious. I would like to know, who your best partner has been at a THP event and why? I'll even broaden it and open it up to anyone that has played two man golf. (not eveyone has played in a THP event....yet) I want to know what it was about that person that made him or her the best.

ADwillingham is mine. It was one of the first tour van stops in Atlanta and I had the pleasure of riding with this humble man for 18 holes and having a great time. Donnie and I are polar opposites in terms of personalities. He is laid back and quiet. I am neither of those. But I found myself paying attention to him and his demeanor. It was an enjoyable Saturday afternoon outside of Atlanta with one of the best guys I know. He really allowed me to let everything go and just enjoy the day. We came very close to winning that weekend and neither of us played that well.

Ole gray and Cookie are very close to that top spot.

No way I could choose. I have been lucky to have several partners that all brought something unique and different to the table.

I'll go.

First of all I've had nearly countless great partners in THP events. The round that Hawk and I surgically removed Kelly and Bullfrog's will to live comes to mind for sure. But for me the best partner I had in the best round I've ever been a part of was JB in the 1 round that we actually got to partner up in in a THP event. It was the 2nd Morgan Cup, first one at Myrtle Beach and at Caledonia. It was the best round of golf I've ever been a part of. The match itself was amazing, we played against Yorkem and INGolfer in a 2 man match. It was back and forth and back and forth and wound up ending in a halve. I'm sure everyone has seen the video and or heard the story by now but it was by far my best round at a THP event.

That's easy enough, I've only had one partner at a THP event. O'Caroll is the man and was a blast to play golf with at #TheGrandaddy. I think the fact that we were both just praying to hit good shots with new clubs, it almost became comical. Pete's a dude that can bring the laughter so we had fun. "9-iron to the middle, ok here we go...or I can shank one 90 degrees right, cool.... Hey Pete, you see that shank? Boom!"

While they have all been great, I had the most success with Capt.Dru, who helped our team win the Lake Charles invitational, so I must lean towards him as the "best" partner I have had. All of my playing partners in the THP events I have played in were a pleasure to share the event with and they all brought something to the team and were all genuinely great people!

I don't think I could pick one. I've been lucky enough to have 4 awesome partners in my two man THP golf. Each one was awesome in their own way.

Paul (the_paulo is his screen name IIRC) was funny and had awesome stories about Scotland. He also told me he couldn't golf worth a lick until he had 4 beers in him. Sure enough on the back 9 he shot like a 1 under to pick up my sorry butt.

Dustin (jaysfan) was beyond uplifting and just a genuinely good guy the whole 18.

AJ from Callaway was...well AJ. Those who know him know what I mean.

Nate (eaglevsfalcon) was a great playing partner on all levels. He never once gave me crap about how bad I was playing. Every hole he would tell me this was my hole to win. He also saved our team the entire 18 holes.

Common theme with me though. I'll play like crap and anyone I play with/against plays out of their shoes.

Hard to say. v.man and I have been partners twice, if you count unofficial events, and he's a good yin to my yang. We won the first round of the Gethering together. He puts it in the fairway, and let's just say I am not always as accurate. I am pretty confident I am not on his list of best partners. My other partners have all been really great, though.

Last edited:
Loved my partners in all my events, but gotta go with Seth (ATLGolfer).

In singles at the grandaddy, I struggled early with a shoulder injury (and my game). Seth, even though he was in the middle of his own match, kept talking to me and keeping my spirits up. He did all this while shooting an incredible round (you may have heard he shot 75 on the clive course at the hideaway).

Seth being able to concentrate on his own game while still helping me stay in the moment was just plain awesome and a testament to type of golfer and person he is.

Best is a tough word. I've been fortunate to have some great partners over the years.

I will say that the best job of "ham & egging" was Panda and I. One of us always had an answer when it was needed.

Fun times.

I'll never forget INgolfer and I winning a grueling alt shot match against WCBM and Thainer.....we didn't work together as well as Panda/I but that was easily the single match I've ever wanted to win moreso than others and we pulled it out with a dramatic finish on 18 at Caledonia.

my first two man event will be Olde Stonewall and only other THP event has been BstoneU. Any of the guys I played with that weekend would be my favorite.

GolferGal

Donne is the man. Just a fun, even-keeled, smart guy to play golf with. In addition, he was incredibly forgiving of my mishits, and just created a great, pressure-free environment while still letting on how much the event meant to him. He was able to make me simultaneously want to do very well, without any pressure.

1912073_10100124187334641_2999411413124986885_n.jpg

Though I'd split a cart with mmaynard anytime. Next time it'll be for more than 11 holes.

Last edited:
I've only had two, and they were both great for different reasons. So, I'm going to punt (as ATLGolfer would say), and explain what made both of these guys great partners.

My first ever partner was v.man, and I found our games were very complementary for the formats we were playing. Ken's about as automatic as you get off the tee, which I think helped take a lot of pressure off me, and I was able to make some shots. We played well together, and I had a ton of fun. My other round was with fupresti in an alternate shot round - my game sort of disappeared on me for a while in the middle of the round, and I don't think anyone else could have kept me from getting too down on myself, and even though we didn't get a point, I left the course with great memories of the round.

I'd take either of those guys as a partner again in a heartbeat.

my first two man event will be Olde Stonewall and only other THP event has been BstoneU. Any of the guys I played with that weekend would be my favorite.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Anyone not named Ddec

I have two and it is the only two partners I have had at a THP event but they are for different reasons.

Troutbum- Just an all around great guy it was my first event last minute and made me feel fully comfortable. Our games complimented each other VERY well on an extremely tough course.

The other is G$$- He was my partner down in Florida for the Bridgestone. Unfortunately I brought my F game the entire week despite being the lower cap. I can honestly say I felt awful with how I played. Normally I could care less but I felt like I was letting us down as a group. The entire time G made me feel like it was ok. While I still am not ok with how I played it was great to have a partner that could make me feel ok about playing awful. Threw some jokes around and still had a great time.

It's a really tough one for me but I will go with Jman. At the Indy Invitational and in round 2 of the MC, we really communicated well and got to know each other's games and were able to make decisions together and we had some pretty damn good success. Hat tip to Mward for being a good sport by wearing a Leprechaun outfit in a downpour as my teammate in Atlanta. At least we laughed. Haha

Best team partner is this guy:
b6ed33fa9f864006adc4feff2f01a564.jpg

Tons of game, and always reassuring and supportive. Would tee it up with Seth any chance I could get.

That being said, best non-team partner goes to Adam W 283. While not on the same team, we rode together and just meshed really well and helped each other through our singles rounds. Adam was a big part of one of the most emotionally exhausting rounds of golf of my life, and I think he's a big reason I came out of it with a W.

Man, this is like the "which kid is your favorite" question. I could make an argument for almost each and every person I have played with.

My top few partners in competitive events would be: Paladin, Freddie, GR8DRV, Golf4Life, and Scotty G. Such a cop out, I know.

I can say there are two that I'd like to partner up with again to "make up" for the poor day I shared with each...Canadan (due to the crappy weather bleeding into my enjoyment) and KnightLightPro (due to my atrocious play and defeated attitude that day).

Me would be parshooter. I understand Andy's game from all the rounds last year we played and he is a fun guy out on the course. Even though we got a half a point I still enjoy him.

I have always had some wonderful partners in these events. Everyone of them have been really cool guys and we have always had a great time.

The one partner that sticks out to me is Hawk. In Chicago two years ago we both had a pretty rough start and we're playing kind of nervous. But we had some swing oil and just lightened the conversation and we both played some of our best golf and had a blast. We almost won the dang thing as well. Haha

I will give the honorable mention to my good friend ATLgolfer. Although that is how I got my "favorite" title but we still had a blast and should have won that event to. Haha

Me would be parshooter. I understand Andy's game from all the rounds last year we played and he is a fun guy out on the course. Even though we got a half a point I still enjoy him.

Best round of golf ever, IMO. Would gladly replay you guys any time.

I've only had one partner so far for THP Events....MikeDean441 himself.... He was pretty great carrying me all over during that invitational. He didn't get mad when I hit my driver 200 yards into the woods or 20 yards in front of the tee box. Mike kept hitting shots when needed..Specifically a 200+ yard shot on a par 5 which allowed us to make par which I believe actually won us the playoff hole. He kept me fairly relaxed all day which was great because I was nervous with it being my first event. He was a great partner and I really enjoyed it. It was a fantastic day.

We have a Ryder Cup event at my home course every year and I've had a few good partners. One guy by the name of Dale was the best. He always kept me calm and collected. He could tell when I needed to laugh and when I needed to be told to get my head out of my rear end. He didn't play particularly well, but he really kept me focused which I have troubles with sometimes. I think I shot something like 33 for the match play 9 and we took all the points for the day. Focus is REALLY key for me.

Unofficial event - Trout Bum. This was the test Gauntlet down in Sarasota. Marc is just a joy to pay with and our games really complimented each other well. And the way he hits a 3-iron... Oh my!

Official event - man, this is tough. Have had great partners in CJ, Golf4life, ArmyGolf, Miller Time and several others. Miller Time gets the nod. What a great round we had as partners at the 2nd Atlanta Invitational. We played well together and won Hall of Fame tags that day. Conditions were not the best, but we made the best of it playing alongside Freddie and Youngbuck. Was a great foursome and great time.

Back