TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Wow! On the 334yd shot, did you just decide that you wanted to crank you SS up 13mph? That's impressive and by far the best swing out of all of them it looks like. If I swung that hard, all 4 screws and the two rods in my back would come flying out.

I'm with Blu too, those spin numbers are suprising. Looks like you were playing a pull slice?

Nice performance regardless.

Good players call that a "cut" :)

Good players call that a "cut" :)

Lol! Well played. The PGA superstore monitor always use to call it a pull slice, especially when it was 60 yds right of the target. :alien:

Back on topic, if I were in the market for a driver, I would give the 430 SLDR a go. The 460 wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean that the 430 wouldn't be. I hit the R11 TP better than the regular R11, same with the RBZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the higher spin number it was a slice but on the monitor it appeared to stay within play of the flag at 400. I was in the hitting bay with my sweatshirt on and jeans and could really get into it. But immediately after leaving I hopped online and ordered the same set up. My R-1 numbers are still pretty good but I felt GOOD after hitting this. I hit the Bertha, B.Alpha and the SLDR and it provided a much better feel. I can see why so many Tour players are gaming this right now. It's not only a marketing tool but this sucker actually performs, WELL.

Tapping Away

Lol! Well played. The PGA superstore monitor always use to call it a pull slice, especially when it was 60 yds right of the target. :alien:

Back on topic, if I were in the market for a driver, I would give the 430 SLDR a go. The 460 wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean that the 430 wouldn't be. I hit the R11 TP better than the regular R11, same with the RBZ

In with you on that! The 460 just didn't seem to fit me as well as the 430 did. It felt better at address and on impact.

Tapping Away

In with you on that! The 460 just didn't seem to fit me as well as the 430 did. It felt better at address and on impact.

Tapping Away

It's amazing how much looks can inspire confidence, isn't it. For some it's a 460 and for others it's a more classic looking 430.

4araga7u.jpg

SLDR 430 Speeder 7.0 10.5*. It feels goooood.

Tapping Away

Some good distance, but only one shot was straight, all the others are huge slices or hooks. What was your play length? Get that dispersion better. I know your average is -12.34 yds, but that is your hitting far in both directions

Some good distance, but only one shot was straight, all the others are huge slices or hooks. What was your play length? Get that dispersion better. I know your average is -12.34 yds, but that is your hitting far in both directions

As soon as it comes in I will spend plenty time on the range. Thanks!

Tapping Away

As soon as it comes in I will spend plenty time on the range. Thanks!

Tapping Away

Those numbers really are all over the face. Low duck hooks, high cuts, spinners, knuckleballs. Was this a fitting or were you just hitting on the monitor? Whatever is the case, the shaft/head combo doesn't look like it produced repeatable results for you.

Just hitting at the time. Lunch break.

Tapping Away

Those numbers really are all over the face. Low duck hooks, high cuts, spinners, knuckleballs. Was this a fitting or were you just hitting on the monitor? Whatever is the case, the shaft/head combo doesn't look like it produced repeatable results for you.

But they were enjoyable results. That is really all that matters.

I'd love to know what happened on the 114MPH one that spun at 2100 and carried over 3 hundy! Bottle that beauty up!

Order that one!!!

I'll pay triple if I can get that for 14 holes a round.

Lol, Truly enjoyable. I felt like I was ready for the PHA.......

Tapping Away

If it feels good and looks good, it is good. The rest of it can be fixed with some practice and lessons. I don't think a different shaft is going to eliminate that power fade/cut or the power draws.

If it feels good and looks good, it is good. The rest of it can be fixed with some practice and lessons. I don't think a different shaft is going to eliminate that power fade/cut or the power draws.

Probably not. That's a swing fix

I was really struggling with this one today. I only took 6 swings with it at 12* and the distance just wasn't there if you don't find the dead centre of the face. I know it wasn't a major swing flaw because I was hitting other drivers really well.
I hit one on the screws and it was the longest drive of the day but the distance was remarkably inconsistent from one shot to the next to be considered for me.

I was really struggling with this one today. I only took 6 swings with it at 12* and the distance just wasn't there if you don't find the dead centre of the face. I know it wasn't a major swing flaw because I was hitting other drivers really well.
I hit one on the screws and it was the longest drive of the day but the distance was remarkably inconsistent from one shot to the next to be considered for me.

I've hit this driver twice and felt the same way. I was hitting huge duck hooks with this club both times, split up by absolute bombs when I managed to hit it solid. Its just not a forgiving driver for most people, no two ways about it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I've read a few times on the forum, that playing unforgiving irons makes people better ball strikers because they have to focus on a good swing. How come that same logic doesn't hold true with drivers?

I've read a few times on the forum, that playing unforgiving irons makes people better ball strikers because they have to focus on a good swing. How come that same logic doesn't hold true with drivers?

I disagree with that statement about irons.

I once thought that way and was one that actually said so publicly in a created thread, I vehemently disagree with that now after study and playing irons across the spectrum in the last 3 months.

I disagree with that statement about irons.

I once thought that way and was one that actually said so publicly in a created thread, I vehemently disagree with that now after study and playing irons across the spectrum in the last 3 months.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with it as well. Contrary to evidence.

But it doesn't mean that rationale isn't used. "Blades force you to become a better ballstriker." Gets said but, "Unforgiving drivers make me better driver." Doesn't get said.

I agree it's flawed logic.

I think with the SLDR since the swing is so much longer there is more room for inconsistency. Since the most don't hit the driver in the center of the face and it starts 14 or 18 holes for most, I can see why people might stir clear.

As for the notion about the irons, I don't feel it to be true. You can either game them or you can't. Concentrating harder, to me, is miss leading.

Don't get me wrong, I disagree with it as well. Contrary to evidence.

But it doesn't mean that rationale isn't used. "Blades force you to become a better ballstriker." Gets said but, "Unforgiving drivers make me better driver." Doesn't get said.

I agree it's flawed logic.

I don't see how it's really relevant to this thread.

I don't see how it's really relevant to this thread.

With the flawed logic in unforgiving irons, why wouldn't those same people say, "The SLDR is punishing on off center strikes, so I have to concentrate harder. Keeps me focused."

And, I didn't want to start a new thread with the question.

With the flawed logic in unforgiving irons, why wouldn't those same people say, "The SLDR is punishing on off center strikes, so I have to concentrate harder. Keeps me focused."

And, I didn't want to start a new thread with the question.

That's assuming the people who have stated that on unforgiving irons have tried the SLDR and/or games a SLDR.

Back