Bethpage Meetup 2014

I knew Jim had the procedure down, man I wish it was easier though.

I'm in for a Bethpage get together, I played black two years ago. It was baddd haha but awesome at the same time.

It's already been said but getting more than one tee time will be next to impossible. We could always play one of the other courses and those who want can try to get on black later in the day or the next day.

Depending on the date I could be interested. My odds go up if someone would be driving from somewhere near either JFK or LGA and could help with a ride. Not sure I want to drag a golf bag on public transportation.

Depending on the date I could be interested. My odds go up if someone would be driving from somewhere near either JFK or LGA and could help with a ride. Not sure I want to drag a golf bag on public transportation.
I worked in Manhattan for three years, and was shocked how many times I saw people headed up to the Bronx on the Subway with golf bags. Five golf courses located within the NYC limits, I never played any of them, but heard they are full of "character."

Put me down. I would love to make it happen

I would be in. Gone most of July this year but otherwise would be in.

Looks like we are getting a lot of interest. I am going to have to call the reservation office and get the info that I need to possibly book three foursomes in a row. As Shankosaurus mentioned in this thread, getting these reservations will be tough. If I can't get everyone down for this trip, we could set up a second Black meting later on in the summer.
If you want a warm up round, I know for a fact you can walk on as a single for the yellow, green, and blue courses.

I'll play. I think the only way it's going to happen is to get the required number of guys to show up the day before and camp out.

I'd be interested.

I am down, don't know if I could do an over night this time around but I would be up to play. One of two things needs to happen, either need to get a bunch of NY residents too book times or we need a car in the spots for every foursome we have. I would imagine early and late in the season would be best as it wont be as crowded.

I would love to have a meet up at Bethpage, but it would take an act of God to get more than one tee time.

You don't just walk up to the window and book a time there. First you have to send a copy of your drivers license to them to register in the system. Then, at 7 pm a week before you want you play (if you are a New York resident) you start calling. Good luck. You have to have a ton of luck to get through. I can't tell you how many times I have speed dialed for 25 minutes before I got through. By then, of course, the first available tee time was 4 pm. And more than 1 person would have to get through, one for each foursome. Probably not happening.

Their definition of "walk-up" is different also. We could possibly send 2 (or more) drivers to the course early (and by early, I mean noon of the previous day if it's a weekend, maybe a little later during the week). Only one person has to stay with the car and sleep in the parking lot all night, but everyone has to be there by 4:15 am. At 4:30, an employee comes out and gives you a ticket, which you (all) promptly take up to the cashier and book. Then you go somewhere for breakfast, come back and play. The first hour of tee times and 1 every hour is reserved for people doing this.

I have played the Black 3 times in the last 2 years, and I have gotten on 3 different ways, but twice as a single. I slept in the car in the parking lot one night, and while I could do this when I was 20 (and did), at 60 it wasn't so hot. I ran out of gas on the 16th hole, and managed to finish, but I was almost comatose at the end. I called in the day before once and got on as a single. Much better.

Here is the only way this might work. The course is usually closed on Mondays. However, this is not always the case. At the beginning of each month you can call and find out what Mondays are open. Then if you call using the seven day lead time, you might be able to get a decent time (at least one where you could finish). I used this to get a foursome time around noon last year.

At most, anyone outside of driving distance would only have a 7 day notice of the tee time, which I think would end up being cost-prohibitive.

Of course, you could organize a THP outing there, all you need is a $100,000 donation and you're in :bulgy-eyes:

Sorry if I'm being a wet blanket here, but we all need to know what we're up against.

Don't think you're a wet blanket, you're being honest. So... CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

If we picked a month I could probably make the the 7 day notice work within that month.

Like I said earlier it's a great course and playing with fellow THPers would make it more enjoyable. If we can do it great, if not another time then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on the date I'm in. Summer works best for me. It'd be a lot of fun playing this course with some fellow THPer's.

I'd be interested...I am not too far away.

Well after two days we have 6 possible foursomes and I highly doubt we can swing that unless we do multiple weekends, or if we can gather $100,000 :confused2:. I'll have to call the office and see what I can arrange. Perhaps a weekend a month or so to accommodate as many people as possible. This might work out as I know people have different schedules.

Last edited:
I worked in Manhattan for three years, and was shocked how many times I saw people headed up to the Bronx on the Subway with golf bags. Five golf courses located within the NYC limits, I never played any of them, but heard they are full of "character."

When I worked in Lake Success, I played in a golf league at Douglaston. Using the word character is a gross understatement. I've also played Clearview.

I would definitely be in. I tried to get up there this past season but never could get the days to work out.

As of right now I cannot make reservations. They are only accepting reservations for the blue course. Of course anyone is welcone to come down and brave the cold for a round.

I was talking to a person I work with that is a caddy on the Black about making reservations. I can either make them seven days out, or wait in line. I'd rather take the chances by calling them in a week in advance.

Who here can make a trip on seven days (or less) notice? Right now I am looking at a date between May 3-11.

Of course if you want to play any of the other four courses, I am down for that as well since you can walk on with no issues apart form a small wait.

Count me in and I believe a few other New Yorkers (O'Carroll and Shankasorous) will be interested

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Just because I was away for two weeks........................I would love to be a part of this!

Still on my list of courses to play. Hoping 2014 is the year

I was talking to a person I work with that is a caddy on the Black about making reservations. I can either make them seven days out, or wait in line. I'd rather take the chances by calling them in a week in advance.

Who here can make a trip on seven days (or less) notice? Right now I am looking at a date between May 3-11.

Of course if you want to play any of the other four courses, I am down for that as well since you can walk on with no issues apart form a small wait.

We get back from Florida on the 3rd so I don't think I can swing that. If the dates change keep me posted.

I can definitely make it on short notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's make it happen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will play Bethpage Black this year and it will be even better because there will be a few THPers playing that round together.

Just because I was away for two weeks........................I would love to be a part of this!

Allan we will just have to make sure it isn't a NYSGA weekend.

Back