Course review - Hammock Beach Conservatory

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Located just minutes off the Atlantic Ocean in Palm Coast, Florida, the Hammock Beach Conservatory course offers players one of the most scenic and longest courses in the state of Florida. The course, with waterfalls and brooks on several holes, lulls you into a peaceful round of golf as you're mostly hearing the sounds of the local wildlife and other golfers while you play. The course's difficult on the other hand, quickly snaps you back into reality as you realize you're on the hardest course in the state of Florida. With 5 sets of tees ranging from 5235yds all the way to 7778yds, this course offers you as much difficulty as you think you can handle while still remaining fair yet challenging for all levels of handicap.

IMG_1920.jpg

Practice facilities:

The Conservatory course gives the player more than enough facilities to sharpen their game before they tee off. The driving range offered multiple green complexes in both short yardage and long to play to. To the side, a separate putting green and chipping green were available as well, with greens and turf quality that replicated the same speed and firmness you would see on the course.

Rating: A

IMG_1921.jpg

Course conditions:

The course was in wonderful shape during time of play. The fairways were playing firm, yet still receptive enough to be able to take a divot. The greens were playing exceptionally firm and fast and were smooth enough where putts hit solidly would hold their lines without interference. The bunkers were all consistent and not fun to play out of. An interesting note, the bunkers were mostly normal sand but then there were numerous where the sand was coquina, a mixture of sand and shell. These bunkers played exceptionally firm yet they were very easy to play out of because you knew exactly what to expect from them.

Grade: A

Layout:

Without sugar coating it, this is a tough golf course. The course has roughly 140 bunkers, water on just about every hole, and a hell of a breeze from the Atlantic when it starts blowing. If you pick the correct tee box for your skillset, the course will provide you with a fair mixture of challenge and enjoyment provided you're honest with your abilities. If you play out of your element though or are just really having a bad day getting off the tee, this course won't lend you very many favors. Visually, it's going to beat people up just standing there. Below are two photos that are on shorter, position par 4's that odds are the average amateur will stand over and panic. Littered with bunkers, and a lot of water.

Grade: A-. One choice in the mid 6000's that really is more towards the upper 6000's is peculiar. If they played it shorter and made it a 6500'ish tee I think people would struggle less and they'd make some of the par 5's more enjoyable for people in that tee box range. They didn't play it short that day other than a couple holes where it really didn't effect much or give the player much thought off the tee.

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

Pace of play and price:

Pace of play wasn't of concern on the course.Very rarely were we waiting on anyone or have anyone waiting on us.Our round was just at 3:30 as a threesome, which was more than acceptable.We saw marshals a few times so if it were an issue, the course would have been on top of it. As far as price, we were staying at the resort so our rate was right around 70 for a 1:30 tee time. For this level of quality, we were more than satisfied for what we got.

Grade: A

Amenities:

The clubhouse offers members and day guests quite an experience. While day guests do not have access to the members only locker room, their area still has lockers to store their belongings and a few showers for them to clean up after their round if they so choose. The members only locker room however offers a few more showers and a steam room for those wanting to partake in that after their round. The terrace is available outside with coverage from the sun if one chooses to enjoy their quick meal outside, or a full service restaurant inside if they'd rather not swelter in the heat and humidity while they eat.Grade: A
Overall, this course really was outstanding to play and a fun, challenging test of golf that one should definitely consider if they're staying at the Hammock Beach resort.

Overall: A.

Signature hole:

The par 5 18th offers the golfer a panoramic view of the golf course from the elevated teeing ground. Long hitters must be careful with the water on the left. This hole can be reached in two, but make sure you have enough club to carry the stone bulkhead guarding the green.

IMG_1924.jpg

Hard to believe this is off season huh? One of the finest courses in the state.

Great review and looks to be in amazing condition.

Hard to believe this is off season huh? One of the finest courses in the state.

I'd be curious how in season is yeah. The only blemish we saw was on one hole on top of a hill in the fairway, they had minor aeration marks that were still healing. Other than that, that was it. Hell, the Ocean course started aerating the day we checked in and when we left, you couldn't barely tell they were there. No mountains of top dressing, just a light coating that barely affected play from what I was watching.

Also, that resort...

I'd be curious how in season is yeah. The only blemish we saw was on one hole on top of a hill in the fairway, they had minor aeration marks that were still healing. Other than that, that was it. Hell, the Ocean course started aerating the day we checked in and when we left, you couldn't barely tell they were there. No mountains of top dressing, just a light coating that barely affected play from what I was watching.

Also, that resort...

You dont need to tell me brother, its a special place and one that I love every time get to spend time there. To think some lucky people (my parents) get to play that course every day, live at that resort every day, etc. Hmmmm.

Something that makes these heavily bunkered courses so hard in FL is the lack of elevation change. It makes it so much harder to determine what line to choose a line when you can't tell where one bunker ends and and the next begins, where as a little elevation change can clear that up sometimes.

I would love to see more pics if you snapped them, looks gorgeous and no doubt the conditioning is top notch.

love Hammock Beach. Nice review Mward!

You dont need to tell me brother, its a special place and one that I love every time get to spend time there. To think some lucky people (my parents) get to play that course every day, live at that resort every day, etc. Hmmmm.

Hmm... I bet there could be a hell of an event there.

Something that makes these heavily bunkered courses so hard in FL is the lack of elevation change. It makes it so much harder to determine what line to choose a line when you can't tell where one bunker ends and and the next begins, where as a little elevation change can clear that up sometimes.

I would love to see more pics if you snapped them, looks gorgeous and no doubt the conditioning is top notch.

I didn't take that many photos because I'm notoriously bad at remembering. Let me see what I can dig up though. There were some elevated tee boxes but for the most part it was what you see is what you get. It's a Tom Watson design, so think of his course at Reunion. Remember the 9th hole where it's a sea of bunkers and you don't know where to hit, and then in the fairway you turn back and you're like oh crap look at all the room I had off the tee? Same thing.

They are very lucky to get to play that course, but I would be willing to bet they put in their years of hard work to get to that point and probably deserve it. I do miss the golf in Florida compared to CA. So much greener.

Absolutely beautiful course. My wife nearly took a job there as an event manager, but we decided against moving to the coast at the time. Haven't gotten to play there yet, but when we took the tour it was absolutely incredible.

Hmm... I bet there could be a hell of an event there.

I didn't take that many photos because I'm notoriously bad at remembering. Let me see what I can dig up though. There were some elevated tee boxes but for the most part it was what you see is what you get. It's a Tom Watson design, so think of his course at Reunion. Remember the 9th hole where it's a sea of bunkers and you don't know where to hit, and then in the fairway you turn back and you're like oh crap look at all the room I had off the tee? Same thing.
That's funny because that and the Palmer course are exactly what came to mind.

That's funny because that and the Palmer course are exactly what came to mind.

8078dba9a2d70a143da7cabf222fe49a.jpg

That's the 9th on the conservatory. Not shown on the right are all the pot bunkers you can easily look past because of the bigger bunker up the right as well. Hard hard par 5.

Course looks beautiful. Lush and green all over.

What pics would you like I can take them coming up or have my father

Great Review. Course looks fantastic.

What pics would you like I can take them coming up or have my father
Haha, as many as possible, I love pictures of pretty courses, and knowing how much you love this one seeing how it all lays out.

It's no biggie, was just seeing if he had more on the camera that he hadn't posted. I'm the worst about starting the round thinking I will review it, the realizing I took 3 pictures the whole time.

Haha, as many as possible, I love pictures of pretty courses, and knowing how much you love this one seeing how it all lays out.

It's no biggie, was just seeing if he had more on the camera that he hadn't posted. I'm the worst about starting the round thinking I will review it, the realizing I took 3 pictures the whole time.

What usually happens with me as well. I was playing pretty well too, which makes it tough for me to remember to grab the camera.

Josh, hole 8 is one I regret not photographing. Scenic, not that difficult at first glance, and I'm sure I could play it again and not put it in a worse spot than I did. Right behind the tree near the cart path. Awful.

Wardy...I'm gonna need you to find me a house in Florida - STAT!!

Great review brother.

Done haha. I recommend Palm Coast. You'll love all of it.

What usually happens with me as well. I was playing pretty well too, which makes it tough for me to remember to grab the camera.

Josh, hole 8 is one I regret not photographing. Scenic, not that difficult at first glance, and I'm sure I could play it again and not put it in a worse spot than I did. Right behind the tree near the cart path. Awful.

Fantastic golf hole. The entire course is perfection.

Nice job Wardy! I would love to get out on that track. I played Oceans Hammock a whole ago and that pales in comparison based on what I'm seeing here.

Nice job Wardy! I would love to get out on that track. I played Oceans Hammock a whole ago and that pales in comparison based on what I'm seeing here.

They are both pretty awesome T2G. Hammock Beach members get both courses and they are about 10 minutes apart. Homes and resort on Ocean Hammock, just homes on Conservatory. You really cant go wrong with either.

They are both pretty awesome T2G. Hammock Beach members get both courses and they are about 10 minutes apart. Homes and resort on Ocean Hammock, just homes on Conservatory. You really cant go wrong with either.
It would make one hell of a 36 hole day :)

It would make one hell of a 36 hole day :)

It really really would. And boy have we tried. I think Mr. Dean441 dreads the email he gets from me once a year that says this.

Mike,
I have been thinking. Can we try Ocean Hammock again?

I can hear the cringe from here.

Correct

Back