Anthony Kim - Can He Return?

Thanks for the info JB - that will not be an easy task!

I heard he was doing a clinic at a fundraiser coming up. When (if) he returns to the PGA TOUR, he'll have 16 starts on major medical to earn just over 600k to keep his status.

Would he have to get sponsors exemptions just to get into 16 events?

I heard he was doing a clinic at a fundraiser coming up. When (if) he returns to the PGA TOUR, he'll have 16 starts on major medical to earn just over 600k to keep his status.

Would love to see him back out there

i was scouring the net for info on him the other day to no avail, this is good to hear that he's doing something and recovering/recovered. I'm an AK fan, I hope IF he choses to go for it he succeeds.

Thanks for the info JB - that will not be an easy task!

You're right. AK would have to play consistent golf and make most, if not all of the cuts over those 16 events. He would need to finish in the top 40 for most of those tourneys to make around $37,500.00 per week so he make his minimum.

You're right. AK would have to play consistent golf and make most, if not all of the cuts over those 16 events. He would need to finish in the top 40 for most of those tourneys to make around $37,500.00 per week so he make his minimum.

Or he could just win one.

From Notah Begay:

Vans, Can you find Anthony Kim for us?
--PaulMacLeod via Twitter
Who do you think I am, a regular Inspector Clouseau? I bought a carton of milk at 7-Eleven yesterday. Anthony’s picture was on the side of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Um how about not a chance. He still has way to many "extra curriculars" he'll be on an infomercial soon.

Um how about not a chance. He still has way to many "extra curriculars" he'll be on an infomercial soon.

Don't know much about his recent extra curriculars but he is a real likable dude with talent to match. Hope he figures things out.

Don't know much about his recent extra curriculars but he is a real likable dude with talent to match. Hope he figures things out.

They aren't new. He likes "the life" more than he likes success or golf. I hope so too. I just don't see it happening

That's too bad.

The weird thing was I heard stories about him before he got hurt. A good friend of mine played college golf and in some amateur tournaments against him and told me some pretty crazy stuff and thought he was on the edge even then. My buddy called it. He said he wouldn't be around the tour much longer. Two months later or so he got called out for staying out all night in Vegas during a tournament. It could be a coincidence, but with that stuff I always believe when there is smoke, there is fire.

The weird thing was I heard stories about him before he got hurt. A good friend of mine played college golf and in some amateur tournaments against him and told me some pretty crazy stuff and thought he was on the edge even then. My buddy called it. He said he wouldn't be around the tour much longer. Two months later or so he got called out for staying out all night in Vegas during a tournament. It could be a coincidence, but with that stuff I always believe when there is smoke, there is fire.
I've heard a few stories from guys that played with him and they can't believe he is so lost.

I've heard a few stories from guys that played with him and they can't believe he is so lost.

Weird. Maybe it was the "friends"

Either way, I hate seeing people fail. I do hope he figures it out. He was fun to watch when things were right

Injuries Play no part as far as I'm concerned, Ben Hogan Got hit by a Friggin Bus, Came back won the U.S. Open, Tiger won the U.S. Open with a torn ACL,
Bobby Jones had to basically Drink a Gallon of Pepto a day to settle his stomach.....It comes down to 1 Thing and 1 Thing only... HEART....
When he plays next year that question shall be answered.

Injuries Play no part as far as I'm concerned, Ben Hogan Got hit by a Friggin Bus, Came back won the U.S. Open, Tiger won the U.S. Open with a torn ACL,
Bobby Jones had to basically Drink a Gallon of Pepto a day to settle his stomach.....It comes down to 1 Thing and 1 Thing only... HEART....
When he plays next year that question shall be answered.

Next year? Is he not playing this year? I thought he was expected back.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

How's his work effort. Always heard he didn't put as much time in on course as off course. Really enjoyed watching him play. Hopefully he gets back.

Interesting article on him today. Allegedly zero golf played in 2 years.

SIX YEARS HAVE now passed since Anthony Kim roared to the center of the universe as golf’s Next Big Thing. A five-stroke victory over a premium field at Quail Hollow in May 2008 was as loud as arrivals get, and when Kim won the AT&T National nine weeks later, you couldn’t help but think America’s best player might be a 23-year-old kid of Asian descent and immense ability.

Tiger Woods had just undergone knee surgery. Phil Mickelson hadn’t won a major title in 27 months, and besides, the game’s populace almost seemed desperate for a splash of fresh young blood. Kim made more big noise at the Ryder Cup that fall, partnering successfully with Mickelson before destroying Sergio Garcia in the first match of the Sunday singles.

This week’s gathering at Quail Hollow also marks another anniversary – Kim hasn’t played a hole on the PGA Tour in precisely two years. He withdrew from the 2012 Wells Fargo Championship after a first-round 74, announced he was taking five months off because of tendinitis in his left arm, and then tore his Achilles while working out in San Diego about six weeks later.

We haven’t seen him since.

“I’m hopeful it will be in 2014,” Kim’s agent, Clarke Jones, told me Sunday. “Anything other than that is a guess, and I don’t like to guess. He’s a marvelous talent, but it has been a long time. There’s no denying that.”

I’ve known Jones for much longer; he’s as straight-up a man as anyone in his occupation can possibly be. I sensed his reluctance to answer questions regarding Kim. Not because he’s hiding anything, but because there are no answers, no timetable, nothing to report.

Very few players generate more bewilderment on my live chats than does Kim. He is still on the radar of many, even if he remains invisible, perhaps because his meteoric rise and sharp fall were seasoned by whispers that he enjoyed his adult beverages.

Kim did nothing to dismiss the notion that he was a fan of the nightlife, leaving one with the sense that he thought he could burn the candle any way he wanted. With that in mind, I must have written it a half-dozen times: no Tour pro can be giving away strokes to the field at 2 a.m.

At this point, though, none of that really matters. Owing to rumors that Kim's disappearance is due at least in part to a suspension from the Tour, Jones made himself very clear.

“I can categorically deny that there has been any suspension,” he said. “Nothing has been done by the PGA Tour to prevent Anthony from returning.”

In search of something resembling context, I asked Jones if Kim was playing any golf, even recreationally.

“No.”

Doesn’t sound like much of a comeback, if you ask me. “He’s not living under a bridge, he’s not living in a box,” Jones added. “I’m going to go see him [in Texas] in a few weeks, and at that point, I’ll get a better definition of where he stands.”

Interesting article on him today. Allegedly zero golf played in 2 years.

SIX YEARS HAVE now passed since Anthony Kim roared to the center of the universe as golf’s Next Big Thing. A five-stroke victory over a premium field at Quail Hollow in May 2008 was as loud as arrivals get, and when Kim won the AT&T National nine weeks later, you couldn’t help but think America’s best player might be a 23-year-old kid of Asian descent and immense ability.

Tiger Woods had just undergone knee surgery. Phil Mickelson hadn’t won a major title in 27 months, and besides, the game’s populace almost seemed desperate for a splash of fresh young blood. Kim made more big noise at the Ryder Cup that fall, partnering successfully with Mickelson before destroying Sergio Garcia in the first match of the Sunday singles.

This week’s gathering at Quail Hollow also marks another anniversary – Kim hasn’t played a hole on the PGA Tour in precisely two years. He withdrew from the 2012 Wells Fargo Championship after a first-round 74, announced he was taking five months off because of tendinitis in his left arm, and then tore his Achilles while working out in San Diego about six weeks later.

We haven’t seen him since.

“I’m hopeful it will be in 2014,” Kim’s agent, Clarke Jones, told me Sunday. “Anything other than that is a guess, and I don’t like to guess. He’s a marvelous talent, but it has been a long time. There’s no denying that.”

I’ve known Jones for much longer; he’s as straight-up a man as anyone in his occupation can possibly be. I sensed his reluctance to answer questions regarding Kim. Not because he’s hiding anything, but because there are no answers, no timetable, nothing to report.

Very few players generate more bewilderment on my live chats than does Kim. He is still on the radar of many, even if he remains invisible, perhaps because his meteoric rise and sharp fall were seasoned by whispers that he enjoyed his adult beverages.

Kim did nothing to dismiss the notion that he was a fan of the nightlife, leaving one with the sense that he thought he could burn the candle any way he wanted. With that in mind, I must have written it a half-dozen times: no Tour pro can be giving away strokes to the field at 2 a.m.

At this point, though, none of that really matters. Owing to rumors that Kim's disappearance is due at least in part to a suspension from the Tour, Jones made himself very clear.

“I can categorically deny that there has been any suspension,” he said. “Nothing has been done by the PGA Tour to prevent Anthony from returning.”

In search of something resembling context, I asked Jones if Kim was playing any golf, even recreationally.

“No.”

Doesn’t sound like much of a comeback, if you ask me. “He’s not living under a bridge, he’s not living in a box,” Jones added. “I’m going to go see him [in Texas] in a few weeks, and at that point, I’ll get a better definition of where he stands.”

I'd be really curious to see how he could perform with that type of lay off.

Back