Disappointed with 2013 ProV1x? What did you switch to?

vtnerf

Reaction score
Handicap
I was lucky enough to receive the test version of the 2013 ProV1x. Tried it out directly side-by-side with the 2012 version. The test ball was great. Straight, long, responsive around the greens. Held it's color better and didn't scuff as easily. Then the real deal rolled out, and it seemed like it was a different ball all together. I lost distance, especially into the wind. And playing in the Ocean City area, there are very few days with no wind!

To say the least I was extremely disappointed in the newer version. And I wasn't about to stock up at full rack rate on an older model...so I went on a search for a new ball. I tried the NXT Tour S, and it was solid. But just not quite there. Close, but just lacked something. Tried a few others, then landed on the Callaway Chrome+. I was leery of this one since I had tried the Hex Black a few years ago and hit balloon balls. Not good; see above about wind. But the Chrome+ was solid. Long and straight, even spin around the greens, but you could work it too. And the price point after Phil won the Open last year added to the margin of victory for this ball. As a side bar, it seemed like I couldn't shoot lower than 78 or so with the V1x, but shot 74 in the member-guest with the Chrome+, so it has that going for it to, which is nice. (And, brag time, a 78 on The Old Course in September.)

Anyone else have a similar experience with the ProV1 or X last season?

Im surprised you enjoyed the ProV1x and disliked the Hex Black as they are similar in a number of characteristics.
I would generally say if you like the feel of the ProV1x and the compression, each brand offers that.
Bridgestone B330 & B330-S
Srixon Z-Star XV
TaylorMade TP X
Callaway SR3

I don't have much experience with the new ProV line but I do like the new Bridgestone Tour B330. It has handled the windy conditions we get on the coast of NC very well and the greenside performance does not disappoint either.

I took advantage of buy 3 dozen and get a dozen free of the 2013 Prov1x. I wasn't impressed at all. I switched over to the Bridgestone B330-S about halfway through and now I pretty much only play Bridgestone balls. E6 for cold weather and fall golf and B330-S for warm weather.

I did have a sleeve of the B330's but for some stupid reason it seemed like I got 3 full swings on them, then they decided to leave me. I took that as a sign...

I went to the penta tp 5. Its been a good ball for the price.
This winter ibe been playing the e5 and absolutely am loving some b-stone. Want to get some numbers from a lm and talk to the b-fit guys.

I can't really answer the first part of your question, but after having played ProV1 for quite a while, I switched to Bridgestone in 2012 and won't change until another ball beats it.

B-Fit is awesome. You should check it out.

I actually liked the V1x. Wasn't exactly the perfect ball for me, but no major issues.

Why not try:

Srixon Z-Star XV
Callaway SR3
Bridgestone B330

Not to pile it on, but definitely check out the Bridgestone B330s. I was fortunate enough to get to test them out and they have been exceptional. The feel is great and the wind performance is second to none, IMO. They are also very durable.

I also enjoyed the Chrome+ but have since decided to stick with the 330.

I'm a big fan of the chrome +, but I've found them to not be as durable as some other models. I might have to try out some bridgestones.

I did have a sleeve of the B330's but for some stupid reason it seemed like I got 3 full swings on them, then they decided to leave me. I took that as a sign...

You should know balls always leave you quickly when purchased by the sleeve. It's like when you go golfing with 12 balls in the bag, you never lose one. Then you decide to bring just three balls to save on weight and you're out of balls after 4 holes.

I'm a big fan of the new B330. I like it more than the 2013 PV1x. Similar ball flight but feels softer on the irons.

I'm still looking for a ball to unseat the prov1x for me. Last year I tried the srixon zstar and the Hex black tour and neither of them out performed the 1x for me. This year I'm giving the Bridgestone B330rx a try as per their BFit and all of the amazing reviews on here. I did find in cold weather or early in the season when it's damp and balls might plug I became a big fan of the Qstar but once greens firmed up it just didn't hold enough for me.

LOL. I've been there before and they worth giving another shot but the new taylormade tour preferred x and the sr3 are both very good as well.

I think the suggestions are pretty much covered in the responses so far. My question...have you ever been through a ball fitting? I haven't, but Bridgestone is having a ball fitting day at my local pro shop in April and I've already made plans to attend.

I haven't done a true ball fitting, YET. But what I have done in the past, before I settled on the V1x ws to take 4 or 5 different balls out on the course and play 9 holes hitting all of them along the way. This past spring modified that a little, and landed on the Chrome+. I really like it, a lot. But I'm not completely against change. I want to try a ball fitting this spring if I can get to one, without interfering with soccer and lacrosse schedules.

Bridgestone B330-RX after a ball fitting. Best ball for my game hands down.

Like others have said, maybe Bridgestone in the 330 or 330RX depending on swing speed.
Another that I like that can be had at half the price of the titlest or Bridgestone if you catch them on sale is the maxfli 4x. Dicks and golf galaxy are the only places you can get them, and I find it plays very close to the pro v1x.

I got a box of 2013 V1x as a gift and I haven't been all that impressed either. I DO like the regular Pro V1 better. I found one a few week ago and have been beating the crap out of it since..lol. It's probably done, but I hit it as a second shot when I can. Like others, I have made the switch to a Bridgestone B330-RXS, and have really been impressed thus far. The V1x just hasn't wowed me at all like some of the others have. I do agree, the Penta TP5 is a great ball, too.

I freaking love the V1x but simply won't pay 50 bucks for 12 balls. The solution? The Z-Star XV. The 2012 model can be had for 25 dollars and its an extremely similar ball.

Back